Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Confirming Residency with the bank.
  • revs1972
    Free Member

Had a letter from Barclays regarding my Ltd Business account.
    They have sent me a 7 page form so that i can confirm my tax residency status.
    Anyone had similar ? Its a lot of important information to be sending out to any old scammer.

rjmccann101

This is probably to do with this Automatic Exchange of Information previously known as FATCA and CRS. It’s an agreement between governments to exchange info on people who may owe tax in another country. If your a UK citizen it shouldn’t be much more than a declaration of this plus providing details of the controlling persons for your company and there tax residency status.

However if your not sure it’s legit then ask Barclays.

sparksmcguff

Do you have American citizenship? Cause that can trigger one of those forms even if you have never lived there.

revs1972
    Free Member

No , British National since birth.
    Can’t see why it would trigger anything. All the companies I deal with are UK based too.
    I’ll contact the bank after Christmas to see if it has come from them.

Davesport

Yes, had two letters from RBS regards this. First one got shredded, I’ll have to call them as I haven’t yet replied to the 2nd one.

rjmccann101

There are various events that can trigger a request for this info. The regulations are complex, I know, I’ve had to design a system to do this! The most common one is an overseas address but value limits and changes to account details can also do it.

rjmccann101

What you have to do
    If your account provider contacts you to ask for information about your account it is important that you reply. For example, you may be asked for a self-certification of your tax residency status.

If you don’t reply your account provider may share incorrect information with the relevant tax authority. They may also refuse to open new accounts for you in the future.

Before you provide any information make sure the request is genuine. If you aren’t sure, check.

It is worth replying, you’ll get reported to HMRC as a non responder otherwise.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Confirming Residency with the bank.’ is closed to new replies.