Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • Commuting by motorbike…
  • ir_bandito
    Free Member

I work in Newcastle, and live about 25 miles away.

Once a week, I cycle. Usually planned a day in advance with clothes and laptop left at work before/after and it depends on work and family commitments (and weather forecast to be honest) as to which day of the week it is. Takes around 1:30 door-to door on an average day.
    Other days, I have a 20 min walk to the station, 35-45 minute train ride and another 10 minutes walk in town.

Problem is, I’m always cutting it tight and keep missing the train so lose half an hour (or an hour if its late) waiting for the next train. Which I’m sick of.

So I’m toying with the idea of a motorised commute again, to give me back a a large chunk of time.

Like the idea of buying another car (we have one, which my wife uses most of the time for her job in the community). But having seen the traffic jams that I ride through, I’m not sure.

Leads me to think about a motorbike. Always loved the idea of one, never had one. How much does it cost to get up and running- all the kit, lessons, bike itself? What sort of bike works well for a commute in all weathers?

Any advice/stories to inspire or dissuade me?

globalti
    Free Member

It’s a way of life. Not only do you need to buy, tax and insure the bike, you also need to spend lots on warm, protective and waterproof clothing. In your position I’d be looking at one of those super scooters that you see in places like Paris; at least they give you a bit of weather protection.

br
    Free Member

I work in Newcastle, and live about 25 miles away.

I have a 20 min walk to the station, 35-45 minute train ride and another 10 minutes walk in town.

Slow train or what!

Problem is, I’m always cutting it tight and keep missing the train

Probably the last person who should be thinking of a motorbike… 😉

By the time you’ve spent the money to get on the road, it’ll probably be far cheaper to buy an alarm clock that gets you up 10 mins earlier.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Slow train or what!

Yep, welcome to the Tyne Valley….

chrissyboy
    Free Member

Funnily enough, I have a motorbike and also work in Newcastle. I live about 32 miles away to the south and have to go through the Tyne Tunnel most days.

I only ever commute 1 day a week on the bike in the summer. As soon as the salt’s on the road I feel like my bike’s too nice to watch corrode. Also, the cost of tyres etc is a bit ruinous.

It’s generally about 20 mins quicker coming in on a morning but the same sort of time as driving going home. Especially when you factor in the getting changed time at both ends. And while it’s quicker on a morning because you can filter past stationary traffic you get to work a bit wild eyed because filtering on a morning isn’t for the faint hearted – you’ve got to assume that everyone’s out to get you, keep your eyes on other traffic randomly changing lanes, greasy roundabouts, etc.

Might be a different matter on a big scooter. Probably wouldn’t care so much about it going rusty, cheaper consumables, better weather protection. But it still wouldn’t be much fun in hard rain or ice. Heated grips would be a ‘must have’ I think.

v666ern
    Free Member

Once a week, I cycle. Usually planned a day in advance with clothes and laptop left at work before/after and it depends on work and family commitments (and weather forecast to be honest)

If your cycle depends on this so will your ride in, if its throwing it down your still going to get soaked just cold and soaked instead! have you considered an e-bike/pedal assist? You’ve already got the kit so wont need much more additional outlay.
    FWIW I used to commute the 25 miles to work with a TL1000, much like cycling EVERYONE is trying to kill you on a motorbike you’ve just got a larger percentage of something nasty happening.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Dammit, the dissuasion is strong in you.

e-bike? Never!

5thElefant
    Free Member

It’s generally about 20 mins quicker coming in on a morning but the same sort of time as driving going home. Especially when you factor in the getting changed time at both ends.

I always found faff with kit meant you had to save a lot of time to make a bike worth the bother too.

If you have an itch for a bike get one. But as a practical alternative to a car you really need that itch.

An e-bike does sound like a sensible alternative though.

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

For commuting you don’t need a big, fast bike. Most bikes 250cc to 500cc with a fairing will keep up with UK traffic, be comfy enough over the distance and cost a lot less to run than the big bikes.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

But as a practical alternative to a car

I’m looking for an alternative to walk/train and cycling.

Other option is a mid-life crisis car to drive occasionally when I’m sick of cycling and public transport.

fasthaggis

Car share,or do you hate everyone in the village? 😉

v666ern
    Free Member

A scooter could be a good option, nippy in and out of traffic etc. The issue is you’ll still need

helmet 100
    trousers 80
    proper jacket 150
    and waterproofs 50
    locks 50

before you’ve even bought the bike, insurance etc

or street quad bike, you know you want to

5thElefant
    Free Member

It’s hard to beat a car.

cheekymonkey888
    Free Member

Probably worth checking how much insurance will be on a comparison website. My commute would be similar time but I’d save on the rigid times of the train and also I like the flexibility. The commute was a nice way to unwind.
    I’d have a set of clothes at work to change into as rain / heat made it a bit uncomfortable. Check if there is safe parking near your workplace. There will still be days when you catch the train.
    The bike did pay for itself over the cost of an annual train ticket with the plus point of enjoyment of riding.
    The general trend is getting a faired bike for wind protection but I didnt notice it that much. You have the usual suspects of sv650, versys, nc700x,

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

How much does it cost to get up and running- all the kit, lessons, bike itself? What sort of bike works well for a commute in all weathers?

Realistically, about a grand BEFORE you get the bike. Someone will tell you they did it on the change down the back of the sofa, but they’re lying. Numbers are guesstimates as they change every time they fiddle with the licence system and have probably changed again since i did mine a couple of years ago.

Lessons £500 for a weeks worth.

Tests £200 (there’s three of them now, theory, Part A and Part B, more if you have to hire the bike on top of lessons but most places will include the test)

Jacket £50-£100

Helmet £50-£100

Torusers £50-£100

Gloves £20-£50

Boots £50-£100

Waterproof overalls £50-£100 (unless you want boil in the bag)

Presuming you have OK base layers, fleeces, buffs etc from cycling.

The bike will cost as much as you want it to, from a cheap old GPZ500 or diversion, to something new and shiny. Insurance £400+ as a newbie, tax is usually peanuts though. On anything bigger than a 400 fuel economy is on a par with a mid sized family car.

Or CBT for £100, helmet gloves, jacket and trousers for <£200, and get a 125cc. Not recommended if you weigh more than a teenager or want to go on a dual carriageway or up any hills.

marvincooper

What about a folding bike to make time to/from the train less?

HansRey

The n+1 rule also applies to motorbikes. My dad started on a 125cc for a 40 mile commute across NYM. Fast forward three years and he’s upgraded to a sensible winter bike (some Honda) and a daft Aprilia RSV4

winston
    Free Member

Insurance won’t be 400. More like £100, even for a newbie as long as you don’t buy a litre bike or a harley! But it will cost you over a grand to get your ticket. Ebay is your friend for kit with good stuff going dirt cheap from all those mid-lifers who found it all a bit much. Just buy a new helmet, Shark make good helmets for a reasonable price.

Commuting in the winter is a pretty hardcore intro to biking, I know cos its what I did. Passed my test in a January and commuted through snow the next week. You don’t save as much time as you think you will due to suiting up/down in the winter and taking the long way home in the summer!
    Much more fun than a car but there are some days when you think no way and I was lucky to be able to choose my days to commute. Wouldn’t want to do every day.

hooli

I used to commute by motorbike and although I enjoyed it in summer, it didn’t save the the time I thought it would and it is a cold, wet and dirty way to spend a winter.

By the time I got kitted up, packed my work clothes into a bag, unlocked the side gate (didn’t have a garage then) took the cover off, put the cover away, took the disc lock off, wheeled the bike out, closed and locked the gate, put helmet/gloves etc on and set off, it had taken a good few minutes. Then when I got to work I had to get dressed into work gear and store and try and dry my wet and dirty bike kit.

Same in reverse as well as the bike needing a fair bit of maintenance.

If you want a bike, I can highly recommend one but as a hobby rather than a commuter.

freeagent
    Free Member

A few of the guys in my office have motorbikes.
    However nobody uses them for the winter commute – mostly for the reasons listed above (time spent getting dressed/undressed, getting wet/cold, bike getting filthy/covered in road grit, etc)

The bikes tend to only come out on dry summer days – when they can wear shorts/T-shirt under the leathers, and not spend all day trying to dry wet waterproofs.

anagallis_arvensis

I have done it year round in the south but have had the odd day each year when it has looked too icy. In Newcastle this would be more often.

superfli
    Free Member

Killjoys! You can see the OP wants an excuse to buy a motorbike 🙂

I commute and have done almost everyday (occasionally cycle) for the last 14years. I live down South, so get away with not too many snow days+commute is only 7mile each way. Love it. Love it whatever the weather, as long as I’m dry and warm. This means goretex gloves+boots. Expect to pay over £200 on boots, over £100 on gloves. I’ve not had any issues with non goretex textiles, but get fairly expensive ones at about £250 a piece. Helmet can be had from £100-£500. For a 25mile journey, I’d want something over 500cc and faired.
    Traffic is terrible around my way (M27/A3), so 2 wheels are a godsend, in the last few weeks there have been people taking 2-3hrs to travel 10miles. There is often huge traffic jams. My bike just filters through 🙂

mashiehood
    Free Member

I live just outside of London and last Feb purchased a second hand piaggio MP3500 (the one with three wheels) – its classified as a trike and having never ridden a motorbike, not wanting a small engine the Mp3 with a big 500cc and the ability to ride it with a driving license was perfect.

Fast forward 10 months and i love it. It saves me about an hour on the bike v train commute per day, not chasing trains and i look forward to it.

I have a decent helmet (Nolan N44 high viz) Armoured jacket from ebay, an apron to keep my legs dry and warm…..

Do it, you wont regret it.

br
    Free Member

I commute and have done almost everyday (occasionally cycle) for the last 14years. I live down South, so get away with not too many snow days+commute is only 7mile each way. Love it. Love it whatever the weather, as long as I’m dry and warm. This means goretex gloves+boots. Expect to pay over £200 on boots, over £100 on gloves. I’ve not had any issues with non goretex textiles, but get fairly expensive ones at about £250 a piece. Helmet can be had from £100-£500. For a 25mile journey, I’d want something over 500cc and faired.
    Traffic is terrible around my way (M27/A3), so 2 wheels are a godsend, in the last few weeks there have been people taking 2-3hrs to travel 10miles. There is often huge traffic jams. My bike just filters through

For the best part of 10 years I did a long (+90 miles return) commute, Aylesbury to central London and various places inside/around the western side of the M25. Saved at least an hour a day, if not more.

Always ran a big bike though, as cost wasn’t really a priority and the best gear you could buy. Made it do-able although some winter mornings/nights I did question my sanity in the pitch black…

sharkattack

I used to commute into Newcastle via a long walk and a Metro every day and it was draining. I went to Westgate road to check out bikes. I decided I wanted a KTM Duke 125. Free insurance, 0% finance and on the road with just a CBT. The monthly payments were less than my Metro tickets. Worth looking at unless you’re craving a big bike.

Instead of a new bike I got my P45 so never went through with it.

Chew
    Free Member

Commute most days by motorbike and it always puts a smile on my face.
    The odd car journey if needs must and for those 2 snowy weeks a year.

Depends on how fast your route is and how much traffic there is, but a 20 mile journey from Halifax to Leeds centre would take 40-50 mins on the bike vs 1-1.5 hours in the car. You’ll need somewhere safe to lock it up but save on the car parking.

You’ll either love or hate it. If your not afraid to mix it with the traffic and can read the road well you’ll be fine.

Clothing will set you back £500+
    Getting your licence will be the best part of £1000
    Reasonable bike ~£4k. Something faired and at least 500cc to keep you amused
    Per mile it’ll cost you more than running a Mondeo but you’re not comparing like with like.

alansd1980

I had a 125 for 6+years To commute on and sold it yesterday.

It all depends on the journey. I was filtering through traffic for 10-12 miles and it lost all enjoyment. I got to work on edge because everyone really was out to kill me. I changed jobs a year ago and even though it’s closer it was just as long due to traffic.

Summer can be great fun but from mid October till arch/April you find yourself riding between lanes of traffic in the rain, getting glare off the tail lights but paranoid cause you are riding on the white lines. Even with waterproofs the torrential rain found its way through. Unlike cycling in the rain you get really cold which will affect your concentration.

Took the day off yesterday to sell it and enjoyed the quiet ride to the garage but as a commuter that’s not what you sign up for.

I always cycled at least 2 days a week so now continue with that and cycle a few miles to the station and spend half an hour on the train the other days. I get to work a lot more relaxed with a better idea what needs to be done and a lot less stressed.

Insurance on. Cbf125 was 600 per year and I had 6 years without a claim.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Cbf125 was 600 per year and I had 6 years without a claim.

I suspect you’d pay less for a 600cc.

allthegear
    Free Member

Not quite sure how you managed to pay £600 for a 125? I passed my test and bought an ex-demo bmw f800gsa as my first bike and the insurance was only £300!

Rachel

alansd1980

Cbt not full licence I suppose.

charliew

Always commuted by motorbike and the best thing I did was getting a bike I was happy to never clean and would be easy to fix up if/when I drop it. No longer passionate about bikes, literally just a utility now, but I wouldn’t have a car. Never thought I’d have this view 10 years ago when I started!

Bikes aren’t like modern cars, they need maintenance fairly often. Very few belt driven bikes unfortunately, and shaft drives are for larger bikes then you’ll want.

Currently got a Yamaha XT660z Tenere.

If you want to commute all year then for the distance you’re doing you you’ll want some pretty decent gear. Got to remember when it’s -3C outside and your doing 70mph it is -15C with wind chill. It also isn’t like cycling, you sitting still so don’t generate much warmth. I suffer with cold hands and get cold easily, in the depths of winter I was using, a mid layer down jacket, large thick fleece and then a insulated motorbike jacket, with muffs and heated handle bar grips. Now got a heated vest, which has replaced the down jacket. Much warmer. Muffs and heated grips are the best though.

Prices quoted in other posts seem about right. You definitely want gore-tex boots and gloves. Assumig you commute through the winter you’ll also need more than one set of gloves, unless you get muffs and heated grips.

What sort of roads are on your commute?

charliew

Also I’ve found insurance is more influenced by your postcode. I was paying less as a teenager living at parents than I do now, I’ve got loads more NCBs too! Stupid Oldham postcode…

cbike
    Free Member

Piaggio MP3 LT?

bensales
    Free Member

TL:DR

FWIW I commuted by bike for nearly 15 years on everything up to a litre super bike. Wouldn’t do it now. Cost, yeah, arguably cheaper than a car if you get the right bike and cheaper kit. Time-wise, for me, over everything from city-centre Birmingham commutes, to motorway runs, when you added in the getting changed time it worked out about the same as driving.

But the killer is the stress. I love riding bikes. For more than 20 years they were the major part of my life, and I still love them. But riding them in traffic is incredibly stressful. I’d never commute by bike now. Give me a packed train that I can read a book on and not worry any day.

Northwind

I used to; don’t any more, I wouldn’t get the same benefit on my current commute, on my previous 2 commutes it was a massive difference. Mostly I enjoyed it but it took a long time to get it sorted- and quite a lot of money, I reckon I had more investment in riding kit than I did in the bike tbh. And it wasn’t cheap- my car is a fair bit cheaper to run.

And I got good at traffic, forget about 6th sense, a succesful city motorcyclist has a whole bunch more senses than that. Actually loved that about it, the feeling of knowing exactly which gaps to go for, and using all your bits of game to influence other drivers and control your road… Fab. It was sometimes a chore but on balance I actually liked it.

If I changed to another job with serious traffic and parking considerations, and not good public transport, I’d be dusting it off for sure. Or getting a wee supermoto if it was short distance.

Buuuut… It did play a big part in killing the joy. I lived and breathed bikes, when I moved to the new place I took the bike off the road intending to give it a proper fixing up and basically decommuterise it (because it’s hard on bikes, poor thing paid the price of all that road salt and parking bumps and that). It was a prizewinner and absolutely how I wanted it, but a bit run down. But I just discovered I didn’t really want to ride it that much- not as much as I wanted to ride pushbikes.

And that’s still the case… TBH they take up the exact same slot in my life, I couldn’t do both the way I want to.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Problem is, I’m always cutting it tight and keep missing the train so lose half an hour (or an hour if its late) waiting for the next train. Which I’m sick of.
    ….
    Any advice/stories to inspire or dissuade me?

What you need is a better one of these

drslow
    Free Member

Get yourself a motorbike. Yes the training is a PITA now with all the licence changes, but you are more vulnerable and it’s worth it. Expect not to get much change out of £800 by the time you do cbt, mod 1&2. Gear is more important than the bike but budget about £500 for started kit. Onc you sort all that then look at bikes.

I passed on a 600cc Kawasaki, and went straight onto a 800cc Yamaha MT-09. Absolutely great fun, I use it for occasion commuting and if I go the boring motorway I can easily save 15 mins filtering, which is a blast, just stay alert.

However I choose to stick to routes through town and save less time but the overall route is quicker anyway. The difference from the car is just the feeling of freedom and fun element. As for getting changed, no idea what the others are doing but I’ve got armoured jeans, leather jacket and boots. This takes about one minute to change into my normal gear, a minute 30 if I have waterproof overalls on.

Do it, if you love bikes, you’ll love motorbikes.

drslow
    Free Member

Get yourself a motorbike. Yes the training is a PITA now with all the licence changes, but you are more vulnerable and it’s worth it. Expect not to get much change out of £800 by the time you do cbt, mod 1&2. Gear is more important than the bike but budget about £500 for started kit. Onc you sort all that then look at bikes.

I passed on a 600cc Kawasaki, and went straight onto a 800cc Yamaha MT-09. Absolutely great fun, I use it for occasion commuting and if I go the boring motorway I can easily save 15 mins filtering, which is a blast, just stay alert.

However I choose to stick to routes through town and save less time but the overall route is quicker anyway. The difference from the car is just the feeling of freedom and fun element. As for getting changed, no idea what the others are doing but I’ve got armoured jeans, leather jacket and boots. This takes about one minute to change into my normal gear, a minute 30 if I have waterproof overalls on.

Do it, if you love bikes, you’ll love motorbikes.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Do it, if you love bikes, you’ll love motorbikes

🙂

Kahurangi

It’ll put an end to your pub sessions after work though. Unless that’s what you’r really after? 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Commuting by motorbike…’ is closed to new replies.