Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Commuting Bags
  • Surfr
    Free Member

Any recommendations for a good commuting bag?

I've tried both a simple outdoor rucksack and a simple teardrop shaped courier bag which I bought as a laptop bag many moons ago but neither are very bike specific or waterproof.

The courier bag falls around to the front all the time but I like the position of the weight when it's on properly, so I'm probably after a courier bag if it will stay put on vigorous out of the saddle steep climbs.

Some form of pocket to hold my headlight battery in winter too. I used the radio/phone pouch which sits on the chest strap for this in the past.

I don't carry much. Usually just a sandwich, shirt, pants, socks, and maybe some days swimming kit or a change of chinos or different shoes. 20L should cover it. Oh and I'm in Wales where it often pisses down.

Any recomendations?

wwaswas

If you can fit a rack and use panniers then do – it's far more comfortable.

failign that, the Ortleib messenger bag/rucksack probably meets most of your criteria.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Yep, panniers and a rack if at all possible.

simon_g

Proper courier bag with a cross strap to keep it stable.

Surfr
    Free Member

I have no interest in putting a rack on my cross bike and I want a decent bag to walk around with. As I said, I'm after a courier bag.

rootes1

Ortleib messenger bag/rucksack

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Ortlieb_Courier~Messenger_Bag/5360007561/

Singletrack did have a review of this in an old mag, but does not show up in the reviews

Helios
    Free Member

Have no actual experience of them – but have been thinking about buying one of these for a year or two… price is putting me off (as well as my 15 minute commute through town, which doesn't seem to justify it)

MrSmith
    Free Member

bagaboo or archiesgrobag.

ctznsmith
    Free Member

I use a timbuk2 messenger bag which would fit your requirements.

Pro's
    Doesn't shift about.
    Zipped front pocket for the battery (although it's under the flap, but you should be able to route the cable fairly easily). 2010 version appears to have a side entry pocket too that might fit the bill.
    If you get the strap pad it's very comfortable over your shoulder.
    Waterproof.

Con's
    There is no pad on the back of it so if what you are carrying is particularly bulky/hard/angular you have to be careful packing it so you don't have something digging in your back.

The Ortlieb messenger/rucksack does look pretty good for about the same amount of money. To be honest any good messenger bag with more than just a shoulder strap shouldn't move about when you're cycling.

dmiller
    Free Member

Anything that says Osprey.

I have an osprey talon 33l and its superb. 2 years of everyday commuting and it still looks in great nick!

2tyred

I have the older version of this – used rack and panniers for a while but went back to the courier bag, just found it better all round.

Used daily for years in all weathers, plenty of room for everything – tools, laptop, clothes, all manner of junk – lets in no water or dirt, no loose stitching or anything. Highly recommended.

one_bad_mofo

A very satisfied Bagaboo customer here. Loads of option and they do custom designs too.

mysterymove
    Free Member

Crumpler Wonder Wennie works well for me…

geoffj

Having tried a range of courier bags, I finally went back to a rucksack. Its more stable and comfortable. Even the courier bags with the stabilising strap can slip. Unless you need quick access and carry awkward size stuff, I'd go with a rucksac.

My current favourite is the Patagonia Vertical Mass –

scruff
    Free Member

Convince me about courier bags.

I use an old NorthFace rucksack and get sweaty back, often do a longer way in / home and there are a few climbs where I'm out of the saddle. Can a loaded courier bag (clothes and cake) be as comfy as a rucksack? I was ashamedly thinking of getting a barbag.

cynic-al
    Free Member

IMO a courier bag can be v comfy, esp if loaded (over short journeys) and when you don't need to get out of the saddle much. You can position them just beneath your back so's it's not pressign on it and making it all sweaty.

But I use a pannier as they are WAY better!

woffle
    Free Member

I've worked my way through a wodge of different bags trying to find the ideal one for taking clothes / lunch and an occasionally bigger pile of stuff too and from work. It's included Osprey and Deuter backpacks as well as a couple of Courier bags (crumpler and chrome).

I got myself an Ergon BD1 and it's by far and away the best I've used – nice and stable on my back, has enough room for my back to breathe and not get too sweaty, the weight sits on your hips and the waterproof cover keeps everything nice and dry. It's stood up to doing 5000+ miles of on road riding alone in the last year and if / when it falls apart I'll be getting another.

The fact it has a decent 'frame' to it with places for bungees means that you can carry all sorts of crap on it – I managed to do 18 miles to work in the winter with this on my back:

(that's a Cannondale Beast of the East strapped to the bag along with change of clothes, towels etc)

The fact it's got room for a bladder and is just as happy on your back off-road is a complete bonus too.

Not cheap though.

Rucksacks are definitely the way to go IMO. I had a messenger bag for several years but it wasn't particularly stable and over time found that I was getting neck and back problems due to the single shoulder strap. It was a huge bag and so I tended to overfill it which made things worse.

The Ergon looks good. As a cheaper option maybe consider a Deuter rucksack. I've got a Crossbike. Sufficient space (if I keep some shoes at work), pockets and a rain cover.

joemarshall
    Free Member

SQR slim saddlebag.

http://www.simpsoncycles.co.uk/product.php?xProd=457

Most of the advantages of a rack and panniers, but without fitting a rack to your pride and joy (you just fit a quick release mounting bracket). Waterproof. No sweaty back. It isn't as big as panniers, but easily big enough for change of clothes & lunch.

Joe

cynic-al
    Free Member

M/L Ergon BD1 for sale here btw!

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

I use crumpler kit, a wonder weenie and a fux delux. The wonder weenie is getting on for 6 years old and pretty battered, no longer competely waterproof but I put my shirt in a plastic bag anyway.

They can jiggle round until the strap slips off your shoulder if you're going off road energetically, even with the stabiliser strap done up well, fine if pooting. On road, perfect.

I have panniers, and due to the whole wind/drag nuisance I only use them if I'm going to be very heavily laden.

As I don't drive I've carted a fair amount of stuff about in/strapped onto the courier bags, several frames, pairs of wheels, A2 mounted and framed picture, even a full size upright dyson vacuum cleaner. When I went for 3 18litre tins of paint I did use the panniers mind 😉

I got one to start with becuase I found coventional backpacks highly irritating. I get a small spot in the small of my bag gets a bit clammy, but otherwise I find they're 99% better than normal rucksacs for commuting.

woffle
    Free Member

Most of the advantages of a rack and panniers, but without fitting a rack to your pride and joy (you just fit a quick release mounting bracket). Waterproof. No sweaty back. It isn't as big as panniers, but easily big enough for change of clothes & lunch.

Carradices are cool – I used a super-c for a while on my commute. I sold it in the end as it kept clipping my legs and I found I preferred the weight on my back/hips rather than on the bike. They're a great product though and I'll probably pick one up should my dreams of doing some touring-lite over the coming summer come to fruition…

qwerty
    Free Member

Alpkits Gordon 20l is £18 and a fanastic buy, meets your requirements – but currently out of stock – worth the wait – whatcha got to loose 😉

http://www.alpkit.com

PS: courier bags are cool but i found i got neck / back niggles

Surfr
    Free Member

I'm still trying to get over the 150 quid price tags on a lot of these messenger bags from niche companies. Timbuk2 or Crumpler seem a little more my price bracket. I like to wear a bag over my right shoulder, and some of the crumplers look shaped for only one side… the left shoulder. Is this right or am I being stupid?

crispedwheel
    Free Member

Another happy Timbuk2 user here – I use the medium one every day to work. Carries work clothes, lunch, waterproofs and lights fine. Also ok for trips to the shops at lunchtime. Pros and cons pretty much as ctznsmith's post up there ^. Also have the large version for overnight stays.

coffeeking
    Free Member

35 litre rucksack never fails me. It has a decent support system to prevent sweaty-back syndrome and it's carried a cast iron exhaust manifold, laptops, changes of clothes, books, bricks, you name it, comfortably.

angryratio
    Free Member

I use a northface messenger that i bought at a certain large department store. was under 50 notes when i got it.

Available bright red or black and keeps the weather off your clean stuff rather well.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Commuting Bags’ is closed to new replies.