• This topic has 67 replies, 55 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by will.
Viewing 28 posts - 41 through 68 (of 68 total)
  • Commuting.
  • nickb

Yep. Today and yesterday, but it’s not that cold in the soft south (about -1 both mornings). Pic about half way – in the middle of Richmond Park…

Saratoga
    Free Member

Yep. -5C when I left home yesterday morning, and -5.9C this morning.

Both days I’ve come across muppets stopped right in the middle of the road scraping ice off their windscreens because they didn’t bother to do it properly before they left home.

Pickers

Me too, yesterday (-4.8) and today (-5.3) but only about 7 miles each way.
    Frosty but not very icy here in S Warks. 60% offroad which is good when the grounds frozen, bit bumpy where the horses have been though.

phiiiiil

Woooooo today was my first proper off-road commute for aaaages as it’s super frosty instead of super gloopy. Cold feet but solid trails – much better than just sticking to the road every day. Long may the cold spell last!

D0NK

I fancy an xc commute but still tired from weekend and I presume the lovely morning frozen trails will be a quagmire in the afternoon, mostly woods so needs prolonged really low temps to properly freeze.

warton
    Free Member

yeah I did, just got a very deep frost in newcaatle, so its not too bad, bloody cold though, as binners said, a lot colder at 5PM than 7AM

smell_it
    Free Member

Yep, i do everyday, having no car is a great motivator. Some slippy bits but most of the ice was pretty visible, and pretty chilly but nowt too bad. I’m currently warming the office with my own smug sense of superiority.

SilentSparky
    Free Member

Not managed a full distance commute this year yet, just the final 2 miles e/w, almost made it out of bed early enough this morning but the snooze button beat me again…

Dibbs
    Free Member

I rode to work across the Quantocks yesterday, but I think it only got down to -2. It’s much warmer here today.

TiRed

15 miles in today. 3 with the kids. Passed one boy not wearing gloves 😯

ski
    Free Member

Yep,

Passed loads of parked cars, who’s owners were clearing off the ice in a number of different ways, scrapping, pouring water from kettles, spraying, some even leaving their cars running…..

Did feel a little sorry for one person who had placed a carpet over his windscreen only for it to have slipped down during the night and covered his bonnet 😉

GrahamS

some even leaving their cars running…..

That’s what I do. Heated windscreens FTW 😀

binners

I wish I commuted on the same route as some forumites drive. Then I could warm my hands on their wing mirrors 🙁

jackiechris
    Free Member

Oh Yes – do it everyday – collegue of mine was complaining about no heating in her car…..what heating!?! 🙄
    Its a joy going along the Thames path at the moment – no mud – just frost!!

GrahamS

I could warm my hands on their wing mirrors

Any prole touches my wing mirrors and I’ll have my man set the hounds on them 😉

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Of course. Its my only way to get to work. above freezing this morning in Edinburgh

scaled
    Free Member

Was a smidge nippy on the way in to Manchester this morning.

I dont understand how my uncovered ears/cheeks warm up yet my flngers with gloves on get colder…

ds3000
    Free Member

I rode in this morning – almost lost it on one of those squigly lines of tar that get put between cracks in the asphalt, front and rear wheels were all over the place at about 15mph with traffic zooming past me – definitely a heart in mouth moment, took me a while to get over that.

Stu_N

Perfect morning for me. 20 miles, 90% offroad. Ground still frozen but air above freezing, and as it was so dry when it froze at the weekend, no huge worries about black ice. Set off in darkness and rode through the sunrise into work. The sun, mist and clouds worked together to exaggerate the scale of the Pentlands so they looked like a proper mountain range, and the half frozen canal was confusing the ducks and coots.

Sadly it’s stayed above freezing so probably a pretty sloppy run home tonight. But still, it’s better than getting the bus!

crankboy
    Free Member

I did and yesterday but it’s a short commute and i’ve got nice warm Altura night Vision Gloves and for today i used my ice spike wheels. More concerned about the muppet with his hood up who stepped out into the cycle lane without looking than the cold to be honest.

TiRed

I dont understand how my uncovered ears/cheeks warm up yet my flngers with gloves on get colder…

Blood supply? Gloves too tight? Same with feet and oversized socks.

seven
    Free Member

4 down hill miles here (blimey the wind cill adds) but only cold fingers.

nice and crisp and clear – much better than bloody wind that was blowing for the last few weeks 🙂

bugpowderdust
    Free Member

An hour and a quarter off road on the SS this morning for me, still hard ground frost here when I got in at 10.15 and the sandier trails were drying out all lurverly with the frost ripping all of the moisture back out. Colder than yesterday though when I was on the cross bike for an hour and 3/4 for a round the houses 50:50 ride in.

Back to rain again tomorrow!!

psling
    Free Member

16km in this morning leaving at 06.55 on frosty but dry roads. Just getting psyched up for the return journey…

thegiantbiker
    Free Member

Nice bit of off road, no ice, just frosty frozen dirt. Nice little descent with some tail out on the brakes, good start to the day.

Slush puppy water bottle not so good.

GrahamS

Rode in today (18km).
    About 6°, much more tolerable and just damp rather than icy.
    Mornings seem to be getting a bit lighter too which is nice.

nosemineb
    Free Member

Yeah i managed today to. 13 miles, wet but mild, with a bit of wind. Still some ice on the back road though!
    Singlespeeding at the moment but getting a bit fed up with spinning out on the downhill sections. May stick 1×10 on the back of it.

will
    Free Member

Did an extended 40 mile commute home last night. It always suprises me when you get out the city the difference in temperature!

What a difference a day makes, wet, windy. Still a fun commute in 😀

Viewing 28 posts - 41 through 68 (of 68 total)

The topic ‘Commuting.’ is closed to new replies.