Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Coed Y Brenin Beast/Dragons Back
  • freddyblack
    Free Member

Is there any point doing the 2 long fire roads with short single track on the right of the image between points 118 to 124?

Doesn’t look worth it from looking at the map, considering going direct from 118 to 123/124.

wrecker
    Free Member

Nope. We never do it. The road climb is a pig though!

martinhutch

The road from 118 is quite steep, but that’s the most direct way.

Last time I took the fire road marked going left at 119, which follows the contours and seemed more pleasant than gurning up the road.

The 2 long fire road sections have nice views, but that’s all they have going for them.

soobalias
    Free Member

you should do it the first time, so you really know why you are missing it in future.

great view, unless the weather closes in.

fathomer

^^ what wrecker said, though the views are nice on the fire road.

Klunk
    Free Member

Nope. We never do it. The road climb is a pig though!

take the fire road 118 for a bit then take the fire road to the left @119 back to the road easier climb only adds few 100 yards of riding

mindmap3
    Free Member

I don’t think it’s worth the bother. I’ve done it once and it felt like distance for the sake of it and you cruise down to Gomez on a bloody fire road.

The views are good on a sunny day but they didn’t make up for the boredom of riding that bit in my opinion. Still love the Beast though.

LordFelchamtheIII
    Free Member

No point what so ever. It serves to lengthen the trail and keep you off the road. I use the steep road and get back on up the fireroad.

chakaping
    Free Member

There’s a nice view and you will get fitter.

But if you’re pushed for time or suffering badly, do the shortcut.

rockhopper70

Bookmark. Old skool mtb weekend in sept so plotting a route.m

Northwind

IIRC there’s no actual singletrack? I always go up the horrible road (it’s short and horrible enough to be funny) but I heard there’s a better way… anyone know?

I’ve never done the Beast and thought “this’d be better if it was longer and had more fire road” 🙂

martinhutch

Oh, there’s singletrack. I vaguely remember it was either level or slightly uphill, so not entirely worth the effort. 🙂

grahamt1980

I always do the road up from 118. Then hang a right and pick up gomez. Did miss it once though when a particularly unpleasant weather front was coming at us. Discretion being the better part of valour and all that

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

… you NEED to do it, otherwise you’re simply cheating yourself 😉

I love climbing, so I would never miss that bit out. The view at the top is superb and the descent back down (on the fireroad) is great in a Big Ring 90s Mammoth Mountain Kamikaze kind of way.

Unless you don’t have a big ring anymore, that is. Pity.

Otherwise, yes. It is fairly a pointless waste of energy. I often imagine what it would be like if they ran a long section of sweet peachy singletrack downhill right from the top of this climb all the way down to the Adams Family series. It is possible – there’s dense lovely woodland the WHOLE way down, just waiting to be ‘trailed’.

Perhaps they will build it one day?

From the top of the mountain – this would potentially become the single most bestest massive section of singletrack downhill anywhere in the country ever.

Larry_Lamb
    Free Member

The road shortcut isnt that steep.

welshfarmer

Did it first time round. Now we go straight up from 118, drop down Gomez and Pugsleys bottom, then ride back up the fireroad to 118 and do the whole thing again to the bottom.

Road climb is a bit of a killer, especially with a 1×9 36×34 combi 🙂

iolo
    Free Member

The road shortcut isnt that steep.

You’re wrong. It bloody is.

harvey2168
    Free Member

Boring fire road, nothing technical, waste of time. Do it once to see this, then spend your time doing a quick lap or 2 of the 1st and last sections, much more fun

pedlad

Depends if you want to be able to say you e done the beast or not 😀

Edit. It’s some more xc miles with an uphill tiny bit of singletrack. You then loos a fair bit of height on fireroad which is annoying. We did it the first time we went and not since

flap_jack
    Free Member

Unless you don’t have a big ring anymore, that is. Pity.

I agree. There is something special in spinning out a 48×11 on sketchy fire-road that seems to gone out of fashion. Not with me it hasn’t, I still like going fast, unlike these 1×9/10/11 modern folk on their safety bicycles. Not too fast, dears, you might scare yourself…

RobHilton
    Free Member

The 2 long fire road sections have nice views, but that’s all they have going for them.

Fantastic views when it’s been snowing 🙂

But yeah, I’ve not bothered for a few years.

Northwind

flap_jack – Member

I still like going fast, unlike these 1×9/10/11 modern folk on their safety bicycles. Not too fast, dears, you might scare yourself…

Yep, you show those slomo downhill racers how it’s done, with their 36T chainrings 😆

wrecker
    Free Member

Not too fast, dears, you might scare yourself…

When you wake up! It’s a flipping fire road FFS. I’ve had scarier poos.

RobHilton
    Free Member

I’ve had scarier poos

POIDH

wrecker
    Free Member

😯

Northwind

So that’s why he needs such a big ring!

Larry_Lamb
    Free Member

You’re wrong. It bloody is.

Get fitter.

nickc

sunny: do the long route
    not sunny: up the hill. (it’s not that bad)

Lawmanmx
    Free Member

I do it! its part of the ride and I Love it there so why would I want to cut it short?
    I did it last week, and Hopefully Next week too 🙂

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Coed Y Brenin Beast/Dragons Back’ is closed to new replies.