Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Close the shops for Harry Potters birthday – didnt expect that!
  • WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Went for a swim at the gym and sat in the steam room afterwards. One woman complained about shops being shut on Sunday. Another woman said it was only 1 day. A bloke asked why. 2nd woman said it was Easter Sunday. Bloke said So?

I explained that the lead character in the God squads favourite book died so they demanded everyone shuts the shops, it is a bit like people celebrating Harry Potters birthday and making you join in even if you didn’t read the Harry Potter books.

Ohsh it I didn’t expect 2nd woman’s reaction. I thought the steam would turn to ice and I would be struck down by the wrath of God.

I would like to apologise to God* and all of his fans for questioning his validity.

*I assume he posts on here but I don’t know his forum name

Drac

imnotverygood

Steam rooms are for steaming in. Chat is verboten.

zippykona

Close the shops every Sunday .

hora
    Free Member

Steam rooms are for gently making knee/arm contact and rough-housing.

Showers are for admiring and towel-whipping.

gobuchul
    Free Member

Apart from the fact that it’s a Pagan Spring Festival. If we didn’t have Christianity it’s very likely that we would still be shutting the shops around this time.

Besides, I like it when the shops close. There is only Easter Sunday and Christmas Day when they actually do anymore.

legend
    Free Member

mtbel at the moment

Cougar

I would like to apologise to God* and all of his fans for questioning his validity.

He’s banned. Would’ve been a lifetime ban but the numbers in our drop-down box don’t go that high.

dudeofdoom

Tbh I don’t think Gods on here much he’s more into mumsnet these days ….

JC likes fatbikes thou…but thinks 650bs a bit meh…

It’s the old maxim don’t discuss religion or politics 🙂

fasthaggis

Here is the wording that drac really meant to post.

theotherjonv

martinhutch

So, only two women complaining about your gym conduct so far this week?

You can do better than that.

fasthaggis

Martin,I think WCA is a bit older than that 😉

joshvegas
    Free Member

zippykona – Member

Close the shops every Sunday .

Posted 2 hours ago # Report-Post

Why Sunday? Why not Monday or Wednesday?

DezB
    Free Member

What I wanna know is what was woman no.2’s reaction?

Last time I had a reaction from a lady in a steamroom it was extremely pleasant.

umop3pisdn
    Free Member

Mate you sound well cool.

tinribz
    Free Member

Sundays will pre-date even pagan rituals, probably its an inconvienent truth that slaves need one day off a week to avoid being worked to death or just giving up.

Pro-ratering wont ever work completely across all professions. Be quite interesting though if all society was divided up into 7 different work week factions.

Didn’t Russia try to introduce a 10 day week once?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Think yourself lucky Tasmania has shutdown for the damm Friday, only 4 pies left in the shop post ride today. On the plus side it made the chances of being doored a bit less on the roll back through town today.

hora
    Free Member

WCA actually sounds abit like matt berry!

Rorschach
    Free Member

They have pies in tazzie?
    They have shops in tazzie?

StirlingCrispin

Not everywhere is shut!

Legislation – Sunday Trading Act 1994

Shops in England and Wales with more than 280sq m of covered space cannot open on Sundays for more than six consecutive hours between 10am and 6pm and must close on Easter Sunday and Christmas Day.

Exemptions are for airport, rail station and service station outlets, registered pharmacies, farms selling mainly their own produce, outlets wholly or mainly selling motor or bicycle supplies, suppliers of goods to aircraft or sea-going vessels and exhibition stands selling goods.

njee20
    Free Member

So bike shops can open? Fun fact!

Cougar

Tradition. But if we’d arbitrarily picked Wednesday instead the same argument would apply; why Weds and not Sunday or Friday?

Assuming we have to have a day at all, in the absence of any other compelling reasons to the contrary why not carry on using Sunday? “We’ve always done it that way” is the worst reason to do anything of course, but I can’t see any particular benefit in changing it in this case.

StirlingCrispin

So bike shops can open? Fun fact!

Also means that if you’re looking for a cafe head to a farm shop rather than a garden centre!

MrSalmon
    Free Member

I would have no problem with everything being shut on Sundays, but I do think they should do one thing or the other. This 6 hours only stuff is pointless- either shut or a normal trading day I reckon.

scandal42
    Free Member

Am I still allowed to ride my bike on Sunday?

joshvegas
    Free Member

[Quote]Cougar – Moderator
    Tradition. But if we’d arbitrarily picked Wednesday instead the same argument would apply; why Weds and not Sunday or Friday?
    Assuming we have to have a day at all, in the absence of any other compelling reasons to the contrary why not carry on using Sunday? “We’ve always done it that way” is the worst reason to do anything of course, but I can’t see any particular benefit in changing it in this case.
    [/quote]

You’re right ofcourse but i was really trying to question why shut at all the only reason to shut in a sunday is because its a sabbath which is nonsense.

the majority of people are off on sunday seems a far more sensible day to stay open as a shop.

the fact a shop is restricted by laws from operating a normal day on any day of the years for an entirely fictional religious festival is rediculous.

matt_outandabout

Am I still allowed to ride my bike on Sunday?

Only if the tyres are stone, then they can roll. 8)

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

It was Harry Potters birthday today! Well it must’ve been cos I was in Alnwick today & most of the shops were shut.

mogrim

the fact a shop is restricted by laws from operating a normal day on any day of the years for an entirely fictional religious festival is rediculous.

Well, it does give small businesses a chance to take time off – they don’t have the flexibility that large businesses have when it comes to staffing at the weekends.

Drac

Well, it does give small businesses a chance to take time off –

They could still do that though, I mate does exactly that with his butchers.

hora
    Free Member

Am I still allowed to towel whip and rough-house people on Sunday?

Drac

Yes Hora you can still go to your Gentlemen’s Club.

Drac

It was Harry Potters birthday today! Well it must’ve been cos I was in Alnwick today & most of the shops were shut.

Nah! It’s like all the time. Don’t worry a charity shop will be moving into them soon as we can’t possibly have too many of them.

MoreCashThanDash

I’ve not read the thread fully but having spent a very pleasant Good Friday at the Warner Brothers Harry Potter tour, I don’t see why it can’t close on Sunday if God Dumbledore decides it should.

dudeofdoom

is the hogwarts express up there now…

I really enjoyed my visit at Chrissy ….just amazed they built a house front for his house I thought they’d just used any old estate 🙂

MoreCashThanDash

Yes, the Hogwarts Express is there now. Hundreds of people queuing to walk through old steam train carriages….

….with 3 people in front of us to sit on the real “set” carriage with the effects going past on the green screen windows 😆

And I suspect the residents of the original “Privet Close” in Bracknell were quite relieved when the fake ones were built.

My highlights were the Knight Bus and the big Hogwarts at the end.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Close the shops for Harry Potters birthday – didnt expect that!’ is closed to new replies.