Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Clipless and flat pedals – 2 in one available? Whats the best?
  • stew1982
    Free Member

Find myself wanting the best of both worlds – clipless and flats to use with my shimano DX Shoes.
    Are there any pedals that can be clipped into for the ups, smooth terrain and unclipped and used "properly" when it gets a bit "hairy" (aka – near my limit of confidence).

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

Aye, they are an abomination. Seriously.

bassspine
    Free Member

shimano make a dual pedal, but it's really a touring flat rather than a spiky-pinned item. pd-m324 I think

TooTall
    Free Member

Just get the SPDs with a pedal cage around them. Oh – back off the SPD tension too. Or MTFU.

jam-bo

platform SPD's are alright but don't get any ideas that you can ride properly on them without being clipped in.

run flats and pedal smoothly and you won't notice much difference unless your a weight weenie racing whippet.

mafiafish
    Free Member

SPDs with a cage don't work with flats.

The dual sided ones are hell to use. A real pain.

Proper SPDs or proper flats are best- run one of the other depending on what ride you're doing, or just toughen up on the clips, you're safer in them than out of them.

stew1982
    Free Member

MTFU – now that's a truly honest answer! – and probably slightly true!
    – it seems to go against my natural (read – when the shit looks like it's on the way into the fan) to twist my foot out and has caused a couple of reasonably painful tumbles – although I do seem to end up protecting the bike!

I looked at the shimano pedals and thought the same, about them being not so good for being unclipped.
    – could I take one half off and have one way up for clipped in and the other for unlipped?

4ndyB
    Free Member

With caged SPD pedals the SPD mechanism always stands proud of the cage and will hinder grip on the pedal when unclipped & it's pretty uncomfortable too riding unclipped

You may also have to trim the soles of some shoes to get a good connection between cleat & pedal when clipped in

Combo spd/flat pedals are even worse.

Flat or SPD, anything else is a bad compromise.

TooTall
    Free Member

Practice with spds then – it is second nature after a while. You did learn to drive a car? Can taking your foot off a pedal be harder than that? Really?

stew1982
    Free Member

hmmm, think i'll end up going predominantly flats then – I have both types on different bikes and find I wish i was using the others, but the only real time I wish I was in flats is when i'm towards my limit!

Surely if one of the decent brands tried, they could make a combo type pedal, or even one that the clipless or cage fits on when required?

jedi

it doesnt matter which pedal system you use. its a preference.
    riding corectly with whatever makes a world of difference then your confidence will grow

br1zz
    Free Member

I have shimano combo pedals, spd one side only with a cage cos I wasn't sure about clips initially having never used them before.
    I have unclipped before when I'm bricking it, but to be honest I found it worse out of the clips – the non-spd side is not grippy enough when you need it and sods law dictates that the spd side always presents itself when you don't want it, giving you even less stability with your foot slipping all over the mechanism. Just try flipping one over without looking when you're seconds away from disaster !

I have seen some shimano spds with a removable cage that makes them flats – anyone on here have experience of these ?

The combo's are only really any good if you might ride with non-spd shoes once in a while, which is the only reason mine are still on the bike.

Otherwise, set your tension so you can unclip confidently – the shimano pedals should let go if you lift your heel, as well as twisting your foot, but they need to be pretty loose to do this every time, especially when full of crud.

chakaping
    Free Member

Time Freerides are alright, especially with chunky shoes.

But I haven't used any other platform SPDs to compare them to.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

could I take one half off and have one way up for clipped in and the other for unlipped

no no no. As many have already pointed out, this is a disastrous compromise. I tried it for a while. The non-clipped side offers next to no grip if you are wearing cleats. The clipped side is a pain to get into because there's only one of them. As someone said above, they've OK if you want one bike that can be used clipped and unclipped for different rides (e.g going to the shops in your trainers) without changing pedals but are no good otherwise

sheppie_hill
    Free Member

An excercise bike is the only real place for single sided SPDs… clipped for the man of the house and unclipped for the lady

cookeaa

This pointless chestnut again eh?

What you basically want is the moon on a stick…
    Either learn to descend with clips (No really it is actually possible) or MTFU and Muscle up the climbs on flats…

Or lug spare shoes, pedals and a spanner about with you, that’ll get tired quite fast…

I don’t know what sort of trails your riding or how experienced you are so I can’t say which is the best option for you, but maybe it’s something you need to judge for yourself, either you compromise climbing/pedalling ease or the foot dabbing of flats…

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Don't know if you've used "proper" flats but you may surprise yourself with how grippy and secure they are

stew1982
    Free Member

Have V8's on the main bike, and SPD's on the other, which was fine when one bike was pretty much used for XC and the other for more technical terrain. But have since changed the XC for a rugged HT – so was more wondering if there was anything out there to put on the HT, as don't want to change pedals depending on terrain.

Also find the SPD's great for getting an advantage for some technical bits, to make-up for technical ability, but haven't got the balls sometimes to try newer/harder stuff clipped in! I find falling off clipped in, slightly more painful!

I'm sure I saw somewhere in either a mag or online that someone took the back part off the caged SPD off so they could use the front for a"semi-clipped in" feel?

allthegearandnoidea
    Free Member

Make your choice! Commit to your pedals!! Anyway lots of top DHers use clips. You'll be compromised all the time if you don't choose one or the other, not just half the time. Damm think I just talked myself into going clipless!

alpin
    Free Member

silly idea on a mtb….

you're better off knowing for certain whether you're clipped in or not as you approach a drop, berm, etc… than thinking "yeah, i'm in" and not being so.

chakaping
    Free Member

Anyway lots of top DHers use clips.

I bet they use platform-style ones though, don't they?

Perfectly prepared to be corrected if I'm wrong of course.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I find falling off clipped in, slightly more painful!

If someone hasn't said this already, practice getting out of the clips. Back off the tension a bit if it helps. Personally I find clips no problem if I need to get out in the event of a tumble, but for VERY technical riding where dabs are regular flats are better for me.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

The platform clips do help locate your foot in the cleat, more so than "normal" SPDs. You might find that helps enormously – it did for me

shoei
    Free Member

Just swapped from spd 520's to Time Z freeride. Wanted some thing with a platform thats fine for nipping out round the block with the kids with out having to change my trainers.
    Yet to try em off road though.

fattatlasses
    Free Member

Have spent years on clipless, but now ride mainly on flatties with either DX or occasionally 5.10 shoes. Used to switch pedals over pre-ride depending on the ride, but now I've improved my technique on flats, I can't be bothered switching the pedals over.

I've tried the 'caged' Shimano and Crank Bros pedals and found both to be a really poor compromise. Personally, I found that as soon as you start hitting stuff you need to be clipped in, as there's just not enough grip to keep your feet secure when unclipped.

Personally (and as others have noted), I think it's an either/or choice. Clipped and back off the tension, or if you do want the easy 'bale-ability' of flats – just get you're technique sorted, some decent pedals and shoes and you'll never have any problems with feet coming off pedals or bike falling away from you. (also really helps general technique when/if you do put the clipless pedals back on)

p.s. if you do want to try the caged Shimano DX spd's I can sell you a lightly used pair;)

p.p.s. if I was still riding competitively though, I'd def. go clipless , just because you can pull up for max. power – far too old and farty for that now though 🙂

stew1982
    Free Member

I'm well practiced in getting in and out of the clipless – just find that a couple of times in an impending crash – I don't get out, not all the time but when it's mattered occasionally!

I wasn't actually looking for advice on using clipless, I can use them 99% of the time fine, and do preffer them, but just like being unclipped on the odd occasion for terrain where I'm going to be challenging my skills to(and often beyond)or know I'm going to need to dab a foot. It's probably just my urge to get my foot out on a crash isn't he right type of movement.

We are after all different.

cookeaa

Sounds like your more of a “clipped in rider” just suffereing from the DH jitters…
    To be honest crashing on SPDs isn’t as bad as you think generally speaking having a leg flapping about dragging in the dirt as you turf it off to one side can be messier than simply plopping over to one side with your feet still attached…

Weather you're clipped in or not when you hit the deck, one investment worth making if you plan to do “technical riding”, whatever type of pedals you use is some good knee pads, at least while you get your eye in…

Obviously Caged SPDs for DH and/or trails make sense, not for grip they have bugger all grip, they simply make a bigger target if you do dab and need to get a hoof back on to something in a hurry…

stew1982
    Free Member

cookeaa – think you've probably hit the nail on the head.
    I have recently invested in a set of knee and elbow pads, and reckon the caged SPD's would make sense – will get some and see!

Should I end up with a horrible injury (from being clipped in) I'll put some pics up, so you can all laugh and say how flats would possibly be a good idea in the future ! lol 😆

Cheers guys, all input is always appreciated

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Clipless and flat pedals – 2 in one available? Whats the best?’ is closed to new replies.