Viewing 40 posts - 321 through 360 (of 1,702 total)
  • Clever logo… (well I thought so anyway)
  • molgrips
    Free Member

Its the emperors new clothes guys – this stuff is far less important than you think

You’ve already admitted you don’t understand it at all, so what qualifies you to say how important it is?

You are confusing spin, marketing and branding. Making a popular brand is TOTALLY DIFFERENT to peddling inferior product with lies. Please don’t call us gullible, it’s quite offensive.

Being hoodwinked into paying over the odds for something ropey is indeed silly, and yes people who do that are gullible. However branding is NOT THE SAME THING.

And the industry is not peddling lies. The branding industry helps sell product.

Let’s face it, Ariel, Daz and that lot are all basically the same. If you were in charge of one of these companies, how would you try and make people buy your product? Say you’d tried to make it better, but people were still buying the same stuff they’d always bought? What would you do?

Really, it’s fine if you don’t get it, but just admit you don’t get it and bow out, rather than telling us we’re all stupid.

What if you were in charge of say Pepsi or Coke, or Marlboro or Camel? It’s entirely a matter of taste, isn’t it. People either like your product or they don’t. So how do you increase market share?

donsimon
    Free Member

What if you were in charge of say Pepsi or Coke, or Marlboro or Camel? It’s entirely a matter of taste, isn’t it. People either like your product or they don’t. So how do you increase market share?

These are different products with different unique selling points (USPs), a better example might be magicshine and the dude off here what sells the same product, why buy from one and not the other?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Molgrips – you keep calling me ignorant and stupid. I simply have a different perspective to you that you are unable to understand. I did not call you gullible – but your methods only work with the gullible.

Unlike you guys I do understand that what the product is is not always the same as what it is branded and marketed as.

The emperor is naked and a huge amount of us know this.

donsimon
    Free Member

Ja ja! Tandem can’t see me, Tandem is a circle jerk! 😀

jackthedog
    Free Member

Good lord.

molgrips
    Free Member

Molgrips – you keep calling me ignorant and stupid

I’m not!

And I understand far more than you realise. But I can’t explain it to you 🙂

Yes, there is a lot of emperor’s new clothes. But it’s much more complicated than that. This what we are trying to explain.

GrahamS

However you need to accept that for many of us we see straight thru it.

Wow, can you see the Source of the Matrix now TJ?
    There is no spoon. Or rather, there is a spoon but only the sheeple use spoons.
    Any suitably sized eating implement would be just as suitable.

..logos only need to be recognisable from a distance and tell yo uclearly who the company is…recognisable from a distance or for the illiterate. name of product.thats all a logo needs, thats all it can do

So if Bass had gone for “Bass” in plain black Courier font and a giant cartoon penis and hairy balls as a logo (easily recognisable) then it would have done just as well?

DrJ

I clicked on the thread wondering how advertising could occupy 9 pages. Now I realise it’s just a TJ-athon – “I don’t understand it therefore it’s wrong”.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Molgrips thats the first admission from any of you that this is so. thank you – I feel vindicated.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

DrJ – I understand all too well – I have even got Molgrips to agree.

donsimon
    Free Member

TJ is a winker. 😈

jackthedog
    Free Member

That really is simply astonishing.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’ve been trying to say this all along.

The way we normally go is, you say something, I follow on from that and say something else, but you think I’m contradicting you and keep arguing.

I’m often not contradicting at all, just developing the discussion.

And you don’t really understand it at all, btw 🙂

damo2576
    Free Member

Depends on the marketing book you read and whether you believe it without thinking, or whether there is a link between advertising and marketing budgets and sales irrespective of the quality of the product.

Actually the Coke/Pepsi thing is interesting, mostly because of the peculiarities of a duopoly. Both companies are smart enough not to compete on price (a Schumpeterian view of economics might make you think they would compete down in price till one of them went out of business) so they compete on marketing spend. Because simply (sorry TJ) the one with the bigger and better marketing sells more.

damo2576
    Free Member

Ask TJ why he is on this forum not Bikeradar or any other, that’s branding.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

dfamo – I can answer that. A friend suggested it would be fun for me. I had never heard of STW before that. I have never seen bikeradar. I get enough entertainment here.

so again – nothing to do with branding, everything to do with substance

donsimon
    Free Member

😆
    But things aren’t so simple, I’d be grateful if Tandem could give me his simplistic view on the Betamax vs VHS story too.

molgrips
    Free Member

Clearly the STW forum is unique, and it has great content no matter what the branding, TJ is correct there.

The question is, would you feel pre-disposed towards buying the mag because you are a forum user?

DrJ

Ask TJ why he is on this forum not Bikeradar or any other, that’s branding.

Ask him why he called himself TandemJeremy and not just Jeremy, or Member121

damo2576
    Free Member

dfamo – I can answer that. A friend suggested it would be fun for me. I had never heard of STW before that. I have never seen bikeradar. I get enough entertainment here.

Why did your friend come here not Bikeradar?

binners

sweet jesus!

damo2576
    Free Member

Why did your friend come here not Bikeradar?

damo2576
    Free Member

This thread is funny. But unless TJ is really arguing that people can’t form different emotional responses to different stimuli then you must call him either Troll or quite simple in terms of emotional response.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

You can ask me yourselves – I am still reading this apart from don simon who is blocked 🙂 and I have to remember to unblock molgrips.

Molgrips – No – Never read it.
    Again easy DrJ

jeremy is my name. I wanted to use that. someone else already had it as a log in. tandemjeremy was all I could think of – Jeremy who rides a tandem to distinguish myself from other jeremys on here.

donsimon
    Free Member

sweet jesus!

from the sublime to the ridiculous. 😛

damo2576
    Free Member

But things aren’t so simple, I’d be grateful if Tandem could give me his simplistic view on the Betamax vs VHS story too.

That’s easy, Betamax was the superior format in terms of quality….oh….hang on….

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

binners – Member

sweet jesus!

You called, my child?

damo2576
    Free Member

to distinguish myself from other jeremys on here

Also known as branding.

molgrips
    Free Member

Yeah but betamax was backed by a small insignificant brand that everyone knew was rubbish.. oh wait.. hang on…

DrJ

tandemjeremy was all I could think of

Obviously not true. It was what seemed most appropriate to you.
    QED

maccruiskeen

Imagine how much bandwidth would be saved if TJ and Molgrips simply exchanged email addresses. 🙂

binners

I can’t work out whether this is the bestest thread everer, or a portent to the end of civilisation as we know it.

Actually I think it may be both. Well done folks. Carry on! 😀

donsimon
    Free Member

Unlike you guys I do understand that what the product is is not always the same as what it is branded and marketed as.

The emperor is naked and a huge amount of us know this.
    So Tandem, and I know you’re reading this, how do you explain the Beta vs VHS story? Where did the superior product for the discerning buyer win here?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

DrJ – Member

tandemjeremy was all I could think of

Obviously not true. It was what seemed most appropriate to you.
    QED

thank you for calling me a liar. It was all I could think of at the time.

bigyinn
    Free Member

A dog bit me on a bridleway this morning, and it was off its lead. I should have kicked it harder…

Jamie
    Free Member

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

It’s just become a bit too similar to the last time this was done. Imagine that happening with a thread with TeeJ involved?

EDIT: I really fancy some custard, but not one straight from the packet. I want to make it from scratch.

donsimon
    Free Member

Which thread was that dd?
    EDIT: I fancy sitting on some randomly shaped things, not sure what they’re called, but I feel some kind of paternal instinct coming over me, what can it mean?

molgrips
    Free Member

Imagine how much bandwidth would be saved if TJ and Molgrips simply exchanged email addresses.

Tried that already…

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

don de Los simeones, can’t find the link but this was a few months back – similar argument.

Viewing 40 posts - 321 through 360 (of 1,702 total)

The topic ‘Clever logo… (well I thought so anyway)’ is closed to new replies.