Viewing 40 posts - 241 through 280 (of 1,702 total)
  • Clever logo… (well I thought so anyway)
  • GrahamS

Yep, entirely appropriate:

druidh
    Free Member

Durr!

donsimon
    Free Member

But we still know what it is for

That’s only through previous knowledge though.
    Who’s this and what do they do?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Graham – is there something wrong with that? Am I supposed to know that is comic sans ( I am guessing) and is supposed to mean its not serious? all I see is a nice clear typeface

I really think you guys grossly overestimate the importance of this stuff and grossly overestimate how many people see it as you do.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Or you under-estimate how effective it is TJ…

RealMan
    Free Member

Junkyard
    Free Member

stumpy – but if the logo was simply the name of the company then you would know 100% of the names. So having fancy logos reduces recognition

That made me chortle and he has a very good point – in relation to 85% recognition of a logo
    Beyond that I cant be bothered with this. I dont really see why companies spend so much money on this tbh.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

It’s not called Comic for nothing

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I wish people would stop this assumption that companies spend ££££££££££££s on a logo. They don’t – they spend it on a brand. The logo is just a component part of the brand.

Jamie
    Free Member

Redux.

molgrips
    Free Member

I really think you guys grossly overestimate the importance of this stuff and grossly overestimate how many people see it as you do

You’ve already admitted it means nothing to you. So you can’t really talk about its effectiveness, can you? There’s a whole threadful of people telling you about the subtleties of branding and you’re telling us we’re all wrong or deluded.

Ask me to evaluate a poem in Mandarin, and I won’t tell you it’s meaningless. I’ll tell you I can’t say either way because I don’t speak Mandarin…

GrahamS

Graham – is there something wrong with that? Am I supposed to know that is comic sans ( I am guessing) and is supposed to mean its not serious?

Yep. Humans find that choice of font very wrong for that letter as its bouncy handwritten-style implies levity, which obviously doesn’t fit the subject.

Surely even on your planet that would be a little incongruous?

AndrewBF
    Free Member

Targeted at women in order to get them to associate the drink with a slim ‘fit’ body with an ‘ideally’ proportioned waist and chest.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Ho Tikh bo cho teng
    Ho kianh bo cho peng

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

GrahamS

Yep. Humans find that choice of font very wrong for that letter as its bouncy handwritten-style implies levity, which obviously doesn’t fit the subject.

To some people who understand this hidden language / subliminal meaning. To many of us we are completely oblivious of this

Ask me to evaluate a poem in Mandarin, and I won’t tell you it’s meaningless. I’ll tell you I can’t say either way because I don’t speak Mandarin.

Thats my point FFS – this “language” you guys can all see is simply not there for many of us so like your mandarin poem it is meaningless to us. We don’t speak advertising / media / graphic design / marketing so do not get these “hidden” meanings

thomthumb
    Free Member

TJ you say this

I see a fancy font and I think – “winker”

so if you saw a nice clear font do you not have a preference for that?

so you do express preferences. for simple, no nonsense, clear branding.?

binners

Dear god! That’s all i have to say on the matter

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Jamie, I doff my hat to you.

😆

GrahamS

some peiople who understand this hidden language / subliminal meaning. to many of us wea re completely oblivious of this

No you’re not!

You’re comment on seeing Comic Sans, apparently for the first time ever, was “supposed to mean its not serious?” – you immediately picked up that it wasn’t a “serious” font.

We don’t speak advertising / media / graphic design / marketing so do not get these “hidden” meanings

I don’t speak any of that. I’m a programming geek with Aspergers-like tendencies and I still see that mysterious hidden meaning – mainly because most of it is neither hidden nor mysterious.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Thom – I have a wish for clear fonts that I can read

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Graham – I pulled that from the context. Not from the look of the font. All i saw was a clear font that was easy to read

Jamie
    Free Member

They will offer a full service, including providing pall-bearers.

binners

Anything other than Helvetica is needless and wanton, flowery extravagance IMHO

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

You’re comment on seeing Comic Sans, apparently for the first time ever, was “supposed to mean its not serious?” – you immediately picked up that it wasn’t a “serious” font.

8)

molgrips
    Free Member

this “language” you guys can all see is simply not there for many of us

Yep, but you are in the minority. Trust us when we tell you it’s not a ‘hidden meaning’, it’s a subconscious association. That’s a significant difference.

molgrips
    Free Member

Isn’t there an online autistic spectrum test somewhere?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Its the emperors new clothes guys – this stuff is far less important than you think.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

this stuff is far less important than you think

How dare you.

DenDennis
    Free Member

TJ, I think you ought to get in touch with the bigwigs at coke, pepsi, google, facebook, bbc, redbull, and all those other wasteful institutions, and quick mind, before anyone off here steals your insight.
    I’m sure they’d be happy to renumerate you handsomely for your information that their money spent on visual/branding identity has been wasted. you could get, i dunno, perhaps 20% of their annual budget savings? 😆

stilltortoise
    Free Member

This is a superb debate and it is really opening my eyes to how pointless branding is…

…sorry everyone, I couldn’t find a sarcastic font

rootes1

There is no intrinsic meaning in one font over another. Non at all.

There quite clearly is to me and I’m not in any way a “graphical” person.

I wouldn’t use a solicitor, accountant or funeral director whose logo was in Comic Sans – would you?

Comics Sans aka School Teachers Font….

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

this stuff is far less important than you think

So you keep saying but name me a brand that is successful despite not spending any money on branding.

rootes1

Helvetica

funny pun from Hilter Hipster..

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I would say they were an environmentally aware printing firm (and no I don’t recall ever seeing this logo before)

donsimon
    Free Member

Next?

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

So you keep saying but name me a brand that is successful despite not spending any money on branding.

yeah, mee too

rootes1

I would say they were an environmentally aware printing firm (and no I don’t recall ever seeing this logo

I would have said it was water and gas utility trying to portrait a greener image?

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Well, the leaf is certainly about ecology and the other images look like water and heat.

So it looks like a firm which recycles old kettles

donsimon
    Free Member

I would have said it was water and gas utility trying to portrait a greener image?

From the two takers, one was wrong and one was questioning, so logo without background info means nothing, just like the London 2012 logo. The rest I assume didn’t have the cojones to guess. 😈
    Electricity.

Jamie
    Free Member

http://www.iberdrola.es/

Edit: Damn….waaaaay too slow.

Viewing 40 posts - 241 through 280 (of 1,702 total)

The topic ‘Clever logo… (well I thought so anyway)’ is closed to new replies.