Viewing 18 posts - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)
  • Civic sized cars that are good for bikes but a better drive?
  • rockthreegozy
    Free Member

Bit of a u-turn on this, but I’m going to look at a few 11 plate Civic hatches this week.

Toss up between a SE at £9.8k list 8k miles or Si at £10.2k list 13k miles. SI brings bigger wheels (not fussed), colour coded bodywork, fog lights and partial leather. I will be haggling and checking them over properly.

slowoldman

2014 or newer

or newer?

hora
    Free Member

10k for a 4yr old mundane hatch?

Spent 10k on a Subaru! 😀

wilburt
    Free Member

Are you all mad?

A Fabia is as big as an A4 inside and a little higher to make driving more pleasant, don’t know about the go kart comparison with other cars but it has that soft suspension roll of the best french cars and enough clearance to get you along dirt tracks without trouble but it also won’t let you down if your late for train and need to push on.

Its narrow body makes it easy to park and the design is so function over form it’ll be classic before your growing hair on your chiny chin chin.

buy one.

slowoldman

Fabia it is then.

jimmy

I never knew the civic tourer existed. That’s high on my list for next car.

shifter
    Free Member

simon_g – Member

Fabia is way too small (I had one, couldn’t get bikes in even with one wheel on) but Octavia may suit.

Shocked. Simon did you think you should be able to get a bike in with the wheels on? In a Fabia?
    I fold the seats and take both wheels off my bike to go in an Astra Tourer.

adds

I have a Skoda Rapid Spaceback, its a bit bigger than the Fabia but I cant get the bike without wheels on upright. You can lay 2 flat in the back with wheels of (maybe just one wheel off if you get it right). Its bit like a Audi A3 and cheaper.

dragon
    Free Member

A Fabia is as big as an A4 inside

I doubt that even on the estate, or do you mean load space? The Fabia is an okay car, but it’s nowt special, looks ugly, is pretty narrow, has limited space in the rear for passengers and the suspension poorly damped. Its popular with od people and young families for a reason and that’s not it’s dynamic handling or cool looks.

anagallis_arvensis

Fabia estate has a decent sized boot. Still need wheels off and seats down though.

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

I think the Fabia VRS looks great, but its small and the estate just doesn’t look as good to me. Octavias seem to be over budget at the moment with my 10k revised budget (before PX)

Daffy

Milkie – Member
    Mazda 3 MPS
    BMW 130i

I have no idea if you can get bikes in these, but I expect so.

Bikes in a 1 Series depends on axle to bar height; the opening is a really funny shape.

jamj1974

A Fabia is as big as an A4 inside

Not width wise it ain’t.

simon_g

Shocked. Simon did you think you should be able to get a bike in with the wheels on? In a Fabia?
    I fold the seats and take both wheels off my bike to go in an Astra Tourer.

Nope, was as small as I was expecting. Was just confirming that it’s too small to be a convenient bike carrier.

The Astra thing surprises me, a mate had a 4th gen estate and used to carry his DH bike in it quite happily with both wheels on. Also swallowed a decent size sofa whole.

servo
    Free Member

My FS 29er fits in the back of my Focus estate without taking the wheels off. Would not have fitted in my old Octavia as the wheel arches intrude and reduce the width.

TimP
    Free Member

My inlaws have the Kia Cee’d, and it is awful in the back for making you feel sick. Spacious and comfy and nice spec, feels very solid, but if you might ever travel in the back dont do it!!

wilburt
    Free Member

I’ve an A4 estate and a Fabia hatch parked side by side on the drive. The Fabia Is narrow but that’s a real benefit in car parks and whilst there is more boot space in the A4 it’s still only just about possible to get a bike in with its wheels on I never do it’s much easier to take the front wheel off. For passengers the Fabia feels more roomy front and rear probably due to the higher roof line and less bulky seats/trim.

S’pose the non vrs Fabia could look staid to anyone who prefers a more phalic design personally I like the functional design, not just the exterior but all the knobs and switches are just right.

All personal choice stuff really but a Hatch Fabia is ok as a bike car, look at one next to Astra or similar there bigger than you think, you’ll still be taking both wheels off in the hatch though, the estate version will be better but possibly even harder to love if you like you cars pointy.

bellys
    Free Member

Iv got a 2006 civic 1.8 petrol..loads of room if you lift the back seats up for your bike kit..very cheap to run mine is showing 37mpg with most of my driving around town (stockport/manchester) but it’s more like 35mpg when I fill up.. Have you looked at the Volvo v50.

Viewing 18 posts - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘Civic sized cars that are good for bikes but a better drive?’ is closed to new replies.