Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Cheeky Borrowdale bash bits
  • jekkyl

I’m up the lakes this weekend and as usual I’m mithering over the routes. Doing the bash on Friday likely, which I’ve done many times before and since it is generally a half day ride looking to extend it so it’s a whole day ride. Not always overly fussed about getting more tech in, would generally prefer fast and flow over tech.

There’s a fp that runs parallel to the road to Watendlath, that runs alongside the beck, is it worth doing? Even if not right from the wood it looks like there’s a bridge over the beck to it about 2 thirds of the way along, worth doing from there? I found some old references on stw to a cheeky path to Watendlath and wondered if this was it.

Was debating a run up to High Tove from Watendlath, just for the view, would turn round and come back down though. Any good anyone?

Likewise a run out and back to Blea Tarn from Watendlath, looks flatish so fairly easy, maybe for lunch.

Later on on the ride I was considering riding up from Honister, to Dale Head to ride Hindscarth but I’ve binned that idea off now and intend on riding to Dale Head and then back down to the Castle Crag BW via RiggHead Quarries and Tongue Gill. On the beck at Rigghead Quarries on the OS map there is a FP marked either side of the beck, and on the satellite view there is also several other paths that are visible running down the hill away from the beck, sort of on the right as you are facing dh, one that passes through some buildings. My question is, which path is the most fun? I could enjoy some tech here.

Where’s Lowey? He recommended Not seen him on here in ages.

Anyway, thanks.

justinbieber

yes, that footpath to Watendlath is worth doing. Techy and slow going in places, but a fun challenge.

Wouldn’t bother heading to Blea Tarn. It’s just flatish and boggy as hell.

Never gone up to High Tove though so can’t comment.

Dale Head to Hindscarth is a cracker. Again, very techy but well worth it if you want a challenge.

Down through the mines to Castle Crag is good if you choose to do that. Think we tend to stick to the track to the right of the beck here.

el_boufador

Dale head to hindscarth is great except the carry down scope end, which is frustrating as it would be fantastic otherwise. I probably won’t do it again for that reason.

Anyway, would recommend adding up from castlerigg stone circle, over Walla crag and down to ashness bridge. That’s a corker.

For an extension out the back, flow rather than tech, you could do dale head, Robinson, Buttermere, sail beck, rigg beck

el_boufador

Off the back of Robinson will be wet, mind. You could also go off Robinson to newlands hause to save the climb out of Buttermere, then up Knott rigg, Ard craggs to drop into the top of rigg beck

jekkyl

Superstars. Thanks guys.

sturmeyarcher

Let me know how you get on Jekkyl, I’m planning the same about a week later. Cheers.

scuttler

There was a thread on here a couple of weeks back about Robinson and Hindscarth but now I’ve found it I see it was OP’s. For anyone else’s benefit – https://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/borrowdale-bash-extensions-hindscarth-and-scope-end/

Lowey responded to that thread and he’s most definitely around, most definitely enjoying the Lakes.

el_boufador

Ps, if you drop off Robinson, from Buttermere moss down to newlands hause, I believe this is a shortish carry down at the end to the hause. (this is from having looked at it rather than tried it)

Robinson from Buttermere moss I have done though. All rideable, steep grass at the end so careful in the wet. not technical apart from one exposed bit as far as I remember. Its ‘ok’. Would really recommend rigg beck if you have not done it before. Super flow single-track.

thenorthwind

Point of order:

mithering

I think you mean “dithering”.

Neb

Robinson from Buttermere moss I have done though. All rideable, steep grass at the end so careful in the wet. not technical apart from one exposed bit as far as I remember.

I’ve accidentally ridden off that exposed bit… Very scary and very surprising that I didn’t die. Not recommended.

parkedtiger
    Free Member

Was debating a run up to High Tove from Watendlath, just for the view, would turn round and come back down though. Any good anyone?

I wouldn’t bother, it’s not great descent. A better option if you’re looking for detours would be Walla/Bleaberry/High Seat/Ashness Fell to the Bridge. Bleaberry to High Seat can be very boggy though.

Rigg Head quarry is messier than it used to be but still has some good sections (particularly the scary steps). As Justin Beiber says: keep right of the beck through the mines (but not so right that you end up climbing to the scout hut). You can take either path after the stile but right is best.

tomaso
    Free Member

The wee drop down Strutta Wood from Ashness Bridge is worth the pedal back up.

kneebiscuit
    Free Member

I hated the watendlath beck footpath, barely rideable for me, lots of pushing and carrying and gave up and forded the beck in the end. Not remotely fast, or flowy.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Cheeky Borrowdale bash bits’ is closed to new replies.