Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Borrowdale Bash Extensions – Hindscarth and Scope End?
  • jekkyl

Going up the lakes in a few weeks and planning my ‘big ride’

Tell me if this is madness or any good or suggest better alternatives please

Up to Dale Head from Honister pass, left at the top along Littledale Edge and then first right up to Hindscarth.

Then down to May Crag, High Crags and what looks like a lovely ridge run down Scope End and then down to the track at Newlands.

Looks like it might be a bit of a push up to Hindscarth summit but apart from that any issues with this plan?

How techy is it?

Many thanks

jekkyl

On here for pics taken from the Newlands end. Now doesn’t that ridge look like a cracker!
    http://sharkeysdream.co.uk/PAGES/214_FELLS/HINDSCARTH.html

bungalistic
    Free Member

Hindscarth is techy but fun in places, might be a few short carry downs in places. It also gets very greasy so only worth it if it’s dry in my experience. Last time I rode it I did Warnscale Bottom (fleetwith) then back up to Honister then push/carry up to Hindscarth.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Looks awesome Jekkyl! I love a ridge ride!

TomB

Lovely riding from dale head to Hindscarth. The ridge is steep/loose but rideable at the top, easy but skinny in the muddle then steep and, as mentioned, greasy for the descent down from the ridge, with some unrideable (for me) little craggy steps. Lovely scenery and good adventure (IIRC you’ve done a bit in the area, always worth seeking new fun!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Let us know how you get on Jekkyl, I fancy doing that shortly.

parkedtiger
    Free Member

We’ve lost a lot of mechs on Hindscarth over the years, mainly in the middle section – boulders and bedrock hidden by the heather. As Tomb mentions, there are four/five short carry-downs towards the end of the ridge. If you’ve got the legs, you can carry up from Little Town to end the day with the descent from Hause Gate to Manesty.

el_boufador

As above, a really really lovely ridge run… that is until you get to scope end. Then too much carrying down for me. Glad I’ve done it. On balance I probably won’t do it again.

el_boufador

Also hause gate is good, needs a dry day (wet=Slidey) and a quiet time as it is often v.v. busy with walkers

lowey

Did Scope End once in the wet. Not for me. Wont be going back. Way above my (admittedly small) comfort zone.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Borrowdale Bash Extensions – Hindscarth and Scope End?’ is closed to new replies.