Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 95 total)
  • Chasing an E-bike at Swinley today. Blimey!
  • joolsburger
    Free Member

They’re just slow motor bikes and I hate them. There, I said it. If your under 60 or in good health you shouldn’t ride one.

tomhoward

They’re just slow motor bikes and I hate them. There, I said it. If you’re under 60 or in good health you shouldn’t ride one, as they are plain good fun, or not, it’s not up to me.

Ftfy, but why do you hate bikes, and want to have a say in what other people do with their time? You aren’t a rambler, are you?

joolsburger
    Free Member

They’re not bicycles they’re motor bikes. A bicycle by definition is human powered.
    I hate them and I’m allowed to and you’re free to ignore me.

jam-bo

A bicycle by definition is human powered.

Ha hah!!!

TheBrick
    Free Member

Off road (or should I say non utility bike purposes) if you don’t have a medical condition there is no need. They just lower the entry barrier to twatisum, which is painfully low already.

If you are unfit, just work you way up to being fit(er). Stop chasing fake instant results.

chvck
    Free Member

Off road (or should I say non utility bike purposes) if you don’t have a medical condition there is no need.

I’m not entirely sure there’s a need for most of us to ride offroad at all, a lot of us ride mostly for fun.

dickyhepburn
    Free Member

2 older guys (70) going up cleeve hill in Cheltenham yesterday on them, no way to keep up until we went off road, then only when steep+mud+rock = no traction for anyone and we were all pushing. Saw them again on the hill having a brilliant time! When I can’t peddle myself up the hill I’ll def be getting one

Lester
    Free Member

I’m 65, ride 2 or 3 times a week with my mates, they are always waiting for me on rides, probably wastes 30 mins on a 2.5 hour ride. My mates are really fit and don’t complain about waiting, we usually do about 15 miles off road. As I get fitter it just means we do more miles but they are still waiting every ride. For me getting an e bike is a win win no brainier. We will ride further, no waiting and I’ll be fitter towards the end of the rides which is when I usually make mistakes and come off ( just recovering from rotator cuff surgery !) as for being lazy I did the tour de my blanc 2 years go, also did penmachno, mcynletth, afan, and lots of peak rides. Instead of winding down as I grow older, I want to keep having riding adventures with my mates. My ebike is not my only bike and I’ll use it only on rides with my mates, I’ll use my mega 650 am or my buck saw when I ride alone, keeping up my fitness and not ” cheating”. I will never overtake my mates on a ride, I just want to keep up and repay them a bit for all their patience and not spoil their/our future rides. I’m looking forward to recovering from my surgery just in time for some Sumer trails, can’t wait.
    For me having the ebike as one of my bikes has no downsides whatsoever, makes me look forward to riding even more.

oldfart

Since my wife got one all our rides seem to include every steep hill where we live 🙁 As she passes me she looks back , grins and says sorry !
    Seriously though having broken her leg then had a knee replacement she thought it was game over , 1st ride on ” Sparky” round Exmoor lanes was really emotional for both of us , we didn’t think it would ever happen again .

tomhoward

Off road (or should I say non utility bike purposes) if you don’t have a medical condition there is no need. They just lower the entry barrier to twatisum, which is painfully low already.

From a couple of responses above I agree with you, but I suspect we aren’t talking about the same people.

They’re not bicycles they’re motor bikes. A bicycle by definition is human powered.

The law disagrees with you both points there. Oh and an ebike is also human powered but let’s not let facts get in the way here eh?

If you are unfit, just work you way up to being fit(er). Stop chasing fake instant results.

Currently in training for 4 xc endurance races this year, is that acceptable or do I still need to burn my ebike? Would be a bit irritating that, as it’s part of my training…

Oh and just so I can complete my ‘ebike haters bingo card’ how many haters have ridden them?

Trimix
    Free Member

Lester says it well.

trout
    Free Member

Haters always turn up on Ebike threads with some holier than thou rubbish .

Tom you missed an entry on your bingo card
    How many haters also use uplifts the bloody cheaters

Rorschach
    Free Member

So….if an E-bike ridden inside an aircraft carrier,will it take off?

joolsburger
    Free Member

Some people wear white socks and sandals, some people wear sunglasses at night, some people have number plates that, with some tweaking, almost spell a short version of their name, some people put the milk in first.

These people should be helped to see the wrongness not pandered to. Same with e bikes. I met a bloke at Afan, no legs below the knee, rides like a demon on speed. There’s few with a valid enough excuse. What do they bring to the MTB party exactly?

Rorschach
    Free Member

What…people with disabilities?
    Balloons I’d hope or those popper things.Scrap that…..sausages on sticks.Definitely tiny food.

td75
    Free Member

Love the look of the Specialized Turbo Levo HT 29. I wonder how much the battery and motor is to replace when it’s out of warranty.

Lester
    Free Member

@ td75
    When it breaks out of warranty, don’t replace it, take the motor out and the battery and keep it as a hard tail and use the saved money to buy a newer one by which time the prices would have come down a bit 🙂

Denis99
    Free Member

Lester

Maybe said a little tongue in check, and I’m a fan of the ebike.

The motor is an integral part of the bottom bracket , so simply removing the battery and motor won’t work as a bike.
    Still be able to pedal it without the battery, but the heavy motor will still be there.

See my earlier thread, I have been burnt by the new ebike technology, going to take a lot of convincing that it is robust enough on trails for me.

All this is based on the Bosch system, even with the warranty it’s just too much hassle to keep resorting to ringing up the dealer with issues.

This is a general grumble about a lot of mountain bike stuff , droppers going wrong, forks not doing what they should, bottom brackets falling to bits etc.
    Hope the Specialized is a better thought out design, I will wait a while before spending bit cash again though.

maxlite
    Free Member

Maybe I’ll get one for my 68th birthday next week….no way!

I’d rather use my own body to propel my mtb.

I think e bikes are great to get people out of their cars but I really can’t understand why a fit and healthy (so called mtb enthusiast) would ride one!

Denis99
    Free Member

Basically to ride more often and further.

Less of a grovel and slog on some of the climbs, just a more enjoyable experience.

It’s a different type of approach to riding, can actually assist in training as a recovery ride , ride more often, burn more calories, get fitter by actually riding more.

I wore a heart rate monitor whilst riding.

Normal bike, average hr at about 145, ebike ride about 135.

Not that great a difference really.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

When it breaks out of warranty, don’t replace it, take the motor out and the battery and keep it as a hard tail and use the saved money to buy a newer one by which time the prices would have come down a bit

If that were possible, then surely you’d just use the now cheaper motors/batteries?

I suspect they won’t get cheaper though, the batteries are batteries which are only going up in price as car manufacturers will enter the market for them, and it’s not like bosch have setup costs to recoup in making motors is it? it’s probably the same motor as in any number of applications.

I can see some of the appeal, I won’t get one though. The whole point of most sports is to get better, not be better.

E-bikes for all the protestations that they’re legally a push-bike, are still pedal powered, etc. They are just under-powered electric motorbikes with access to more trails. If an e-bike is better than a mountain bike for people that can no longer pedal, or it allows the injured/unfit to ride faster and further, well a 10kW motor is even better surely? 15mph isn’t some magic figure at which the trails come alive and 20,30, 40, 50 would be rubbish.

Lester
    Free Member

@ dennis, thisisnotaspoon
    didnt realise, sorry, it was a genuine, but ill informed suggestion
    lol

jameso

I’m going to make it my mission to beat every e- biker I see using pure fitness.
    I like a challenge.

It will be if my OH pacing me up a few local climbs on her e-bike is anything to go by. It’s fun, she likes the lead-out rider silliness and sometimes I like to end up beat at the end of an hour’s ride. It’s not impossible to beat the battery on some less steep climbs but I tire much faster than it does.

Marin
    Free Member

They are the future.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

They are the future.

Mm yes. I think everyone is agreed on this. When they get old/decrepit/lazy/fat in the future then they’ll buy an e-bike.

Euro
    Free Member

Earlier today i was undecided whether or not to try and squeeze in a quick ride between chores and doing the shopping. Popped onto STW, read bit of this thread, then went and rode my bike (p-bike). If it wasn’t for e-bikes i’d have probably just went to the shops. I’m a fan.

td75
    Free Member

Is there anything available to convert on older mountain bike into an e-bike? Just curious if there was a motor and battery package available.

flashinthepan
    Free Member

Wish I’d had an e-bike at Swinley today (okay not really). Very wet and slow going.

If there’s any bits of Swinley missing they’ll be in my car \ shed \ arse-crack.

milkyman
    Free Member

[/b]well I bought one, a scott 710 e genius about 12 months ago, I thought there is no way I would ever have one until some one lent me one for a day, and it was FUN, and that’s why I ride for fun, im never going to win anything so I don’t train, I like to ride and it just made it more fun, I am pretty fit, 47 years old and not over the hill just yet, if you want one and can afford one why not, I find it very hard to make the back wheel spin out because the power delivery is very smooth, its been trouble free since I bought it and if I ride with other people I tend to only use eco

for all the haters, get over your self, they are here and they will become more popular if you don’t like it fair enough you don’t have to, we are all entitled to our point of view, but remember the countryside is for everyone not just you with the holeyer than though attitude

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

I can’t shake the feeling that its cheating a bit

It’s not a race it’s having fun, lots of fun, loads of it, more than you’ve ever, ever had on a bike!

Td75 look up bafang motors, my mates just converted his using one.

scc999

E-bikes for all the protestations that they’re legally a push-bike, are still pedal powered, etc. They are just under-powered electric motorbikes with access to more trails

No, they aren’t. Try again.

If an e-bike is better than a mountain bike for people that can no longer pedal, or it allows the injured/unfit to ride faster and further, well a 10kW motor is even better surely? 15mph isn’t some magic figure at which the trails come alive and 20,30, 40, 50 would be rubbish.

I have no idea why the cut off speed was put at 15mph (or whatever it really in in KPH).
    And I’m sure if you just use a tiny little bit of common sense, you can answer your own question about why the power is limited and why you can’t buy an e-bike that does 50mph.

But then again you’re just trolling so it makes no odds!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

It’s not a race it’s having fun, lots of fun, loads of it, more than you’ve ever, ever had on a bike!

You need to ride more bikes

£5500 of motorbike from Specialized

£5600 of motorbike from Honda (I’m allowing the £100 extra because it comes with lights).

you can answer your own question

Honda do it so much better 🙂

mechanicaldope

Had a go on one for about 100m up a gentle hill at Cannock today. Feels a bit odd and certainly weighed a bit but, when I am old, this will definitely be a way to keep me on the trails. Amazing things really.

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

You need to ride more bikes

I have, I’ve ridden lots of bikes for lots of years, none come close to my Specialized motorbike lol 😀

velocipede
    Free Member

My Dad is 81 and had a ruptured aorta 2 years ago – he’s ditched his collection of road and MTB’s in favour of a Giant Dirt-E mob – it’s an amazing thing and means he can still get out on the road/trails.

When I’m getting to his age, I will definitely be investing!!! 😀

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Each to their own.

Personally, the only time I’d get an e-bike is when I can no longer pedal my MTB sufficiently well enough to keep me happy!

I hope that day is a very long way off.

kayla1
    Free Member

I like them and although I’ve never ridden one I’d love a proper go on one. I like the idea of them for utility as well.

theboatman
    Free Member

Saw my first one ‘on the trail’s’ the other week, as a chap passed me on the climb from Rowsley up to Chatsworth plantation. Ridden by an older guy, we exchanged the usual plesentaries which seemed easier for him than me 🙂 he was carrying more speed than I could keep, so steadily left me and he seemed to be having a great ride, and so was I. I just see them as a different tool for a similar but different job, they are for people that want an assisted ride. Seems a sensible choice to me if you want to keep getting out, and I’m pretty sure at some point in the future i would have one if i couldn’t ride where i wanted without one. It’s a development in cycling so I’m happy to discuss, as all progress. It’s all good in my book, but haters gonna hate.

ulysse
    Free Member

Haters gonna hate, like racists, no matter how you counter, they’ll always justify their prejudice

mcj78
    Free Member

I’ve never joined the e-bike debate previously, but I honestly can’t see where all the hate is coming from – seen a lot of it from folk who’d relish an uplift day or a gondola delivering them to the top of the trails too… 😆

At 38 my knees are shot from years of football / running etc. – a lap of the black at Glentress leaves me in agony for 2 days afterwards, i’ll happily knock out 60 miles on the road bike with nary a whimper but the steep technical nature of many mtb climbs & the constant rocking around of the joints under load absolutely kills me, so yeah – if I had a load of cash to be spunking on a new mtb i’d be seriously considering one with a motor to take the grinding climbs out of the equation & allow me to do more.

Taking the injury angle out of the question, wasn’t there an article recently with someone riding the full trail network at GT on a single charge – 70-odd miles or something? Allowing people to go further than they normally would is surely a good thing – same (rider) energy expended but 70 miles knocked out in a day instead of 30, one guy I know who’s not short of fitness or ability absolutely loves them as with a bit of effort you can hit the uphill sections at the same speed you’d usually be reserving for the downhill sections instead of picking your way through rocky climbs at crawling pace.

j

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 95 total)

The topic ‘Chasing an E-bike at Swinley today. Blimey!’ is closed to new replies.