Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Changing email addresses.An easy way?
  • Revol
    Free Member

I’m currently using an email address from Wanadoo that is a few years old but am now getting a fair bit of spam so would like to use my Googlemail address as my main address.Only prob is that my current email address is used by so many services (paypal,ebay,bank,mortgage,loads of forums etc etc) so would be a nightmare to inform them all individually.
    Is there an easy way to change addresses? Can i put an automatic reply in so that any emails i recieve will be notified of a new address or would the senders simply ignore any such requests recieved in such a manner?

Thanks!

skidartist
    Free Member

If you are using an email client, rather than webmail, you can set things up so that you have two inboxes, one for your new address, one for the old. Tell everyone you can think of to use the new address.

Then set thing up so you can only send with the new address. So even if people are using your old address you are replying with the new one. Create a signature with the new address reminder in it too, to hammer the point home if needed.

Keep the old address running until you are happy that nobody important has slipped through the net, probably about a year or so.

skidartist
    Free Member

continuing…. For paypal, banks and all the rest you wouldn’t be able to change addresses with them via email, especially not an autoreply. you’ll need to login to those accounts and change them there. However if you do what I’ve described then you don’t need to do that until the next time you want to use that service

druidh
    Free Member

Do you want to autoreply to all the spammers with your new email address?? 😕

SnS
    Free Member

Was in a similar position a few months ago.

Stick a piece of paper somewhere handy & over the course of a few days, jot down every online service ( etc) you need to change & once your satisfied the list is complete just sit down & do it !

Dosen’t actually take as long as you think – Just feels like a daunting task.
    This is one occasion being a magpie actually helps. If you’re anything like me, you’ll still have all of last years emails to plough through for reference as there’s always something you miss.

Chris

Revol
    Free Member

Hmmm.Good point druidh.Hadn’t thought of that.I’ll just do the paper list method I think.As you say,SnS,it’s just finding motivation to do it! Much easier just to surf bike sites and Ebay!!

GrahamS

Most decent webmail can still pick up mail from your old email accounts. I’m sure Google Mail must have this feature. If not then set up your old account to forward all mail to your new one then update them as you go – pretty much like moving house and setting up a redirect.

joemarshall
    Free Member

Google mail can pick up mail from other accounts, it is under ‘settings, accounts, get mail from other accounts’. It will spam filter that mail, so you don’t get all the junk.

You can set it to tag mail that comes from that account, so that you know who is still using the old account.

Do that, change your email on sites you remember (paypal, ebay etc.), and as you get emails from people you have forgotten, change the address on that site / tell them your new email.

Joe

joemarshall
    Free Member

Oh yeah, should say, I did this recently, and it made a massive difference – google mail has so much better spam filtering, and just works really well compared to my old email account.

Joe

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Changing email addresses.An easy way?’ is closed to new replies.