Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 75 total)
  • Change of policy at Evans on refunds
  • blakec
    Free Member

Bit of a heads up a and question if I am being unreasonable?

Quick read. They no longer refund.

Full story

Was shopping for a helmet for my niece’s birthday today after picking one we took it to the till to pay. After we paid we were told the packaging and the bits that come with it had been chucked out.

I then said I didn’t want the helmet. They then told me I could only get a credit note as they no longer do refunds. At this point the helmet hadn’t been given to me.

I know most people throw this stuff away but given that your not allowed to try helmets on in store. I felt there would be issues if I tried to return it with all the extra bits. I feel that it’s unreasonable not to refund me given that I never had the helmet in my possession. I ended up walking out with the credit note as there was no point arguing further with the store staff.

So I have done the modern thing. Moaned about it on the internet and have emailed there customer services we will see how it goes

househusband
    Free Member

That’s ridiculous! Good luck.

winston
    Free Member

You are kidding right? That didn’t actually happen did it?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    bruneep

That is shitter than shit.

plus-one

Welcome to the covid years !!

dirkpitt74

Good old Mike Ashley……

jameso

What?
    *Facepalm*
    Hopefully just a staff misunderstanding

tomhoward

So they wanted to charge you full price, but not give you all the product (not telling you this until after you’d paid)? Then refused to refund you?

Yeah, slam dunk in your favour. Reckon head office will refund you, and you prob get to keep the credit note.

poah
    Free Member

if you were not told at any point before the sale that you were not getting the box and accessories that come with the helmet then you were effectively sold a product fraudulently.

trail_rat
    Free Member

You left ? I certainly wouldn’t have.

frankconway

They have acted illegally.

trail_rat
    Free Member

They have acted illegally.

Or there’s more to this story than we are being told.

My time in retail tells me there usually is when folk sound unreasonable to the tune of this.

13thfloormonk

Part of a bike to work purchase?

Or yeah, inexperienced staff cock-up and they’ve dug in.

Evans used to be almost too good with their refunds and honouring silly pricing errors, I wondered when an accountant might take a look and insist they tighten up!

blakec
    Free Member

I have many years in retail I know what an arse customers can be. Bit more details since you asked.

To be honest I thought I was taking the display helmet up and they would go and get a fresh one out the back. I am wary of buying helmets that have been on a shop floor. I really wanted the box as it was going to be easier to wrap up.

The staff said it was just the box but most helmets I have bought over the last few years all came with extra bits. You could say I wasn’t fare for not taking there word for it. But the sales person didn’t sound over convincing when I asked.

It was very close to closing time. I left as i could tell the staff felt they were only doing as they were told and that there till wouldn’t allow them to do it. They wanted to go home and it wouldn’t have done anyone any good for me to argue with them for hours on end.

I asked where this policy was mentioned the said there website.

Website currently contradicts it self with

Any refunds will be refunded to the same payment method you used when you placed the order.

And

To return your item(s) for a credit note or where possible make an exchange, visit any Evans Cycles store within 28 days.

But also states

and is returned in its original packaging with a valid proof of purchase.

Not part of a cycle to work purchase. Credit card purchase with some other items.

blakec
    Free Member

Don’t think it was inexperienced staff as at the end I had all four of them telling me the same thing new policy recently introduced. It would have been easier for them to get rid of me and letting them go home by giving me the refund.

dyna-ti

Staff are bloody useless and spend al their time as a group huddled around someones laptop.

I bought a large tub of electrolyte and normally get blackcurrant(The only one that tastes ok lukewarm) but i didnt see that so took another flavour, but while at the counter, and after they had rung it up and my 20 note was on the counter I could see to the back of the shelf and there was a tub of the blackcurrant. Aha !.

So I walk the 6′ over to it, pick it up and take it to the counter saying I wanted this one instead. Same make, same size and same cost. Simple swap ?
    Not a chance.
    Nope, he wanted my name, my address and email and to sign the printed out ‘change’ slip. He was insistent and needed those details to either change it or refund me instead.
    Quickly snatched back my twenty quid note and told him to go royally **** himself, Evans and all in earshot and left it at that.

Poopscoop

Nope, he wanted my name, my address and email and to sign the printed out ‘change’ slip. He was insistent and needed those details to either change it or refund me instead.

That’s actually normal in larger shops in my experience mate. Different product code etc so just swapping can mess up stock levels etc.

A small independent won’t mind however.

brokenbanjo

Moral of the story: Don’t buy anything from a Mike Ashley affiliated store.

blakec
    Free Member

Moral of the story: Don’t buy anything from a Mike Ashley affiliated store.

I know I know. But until this point I’ve always had good experiences with evens. Admittedly most of them were pre Mike Ashley.

rickon
    Free Member

Website currently contradicts it self with

Any refunds will be refunded to the same payment method you used when you placed the order.

And

To return your item(s) for a credit note or where possible make an exchange, visit any Evans Cycles store within 28 days.

That’s website sales terms and conditions, not in store. You’ve got distance selling regs covering you when buying online, if you buy in person it’s assumed you know what you’re getting.

blakec
    Free Member

That’s website sales terms and conditions, not in store. You’ve got distance selling regs covering you when buying online, if you buy in person it’s assumed you know what you’re getting.

I am aware of that but the staff kept saying there policy was on there website and were adamant that it wasn’t published anywhere else. Like in the store where I would expect to see it.

mehr
    Free Member

Sports Direct is the same. It should be banned as its not a refund at all, you still don’t get your money back as its locked in to having to spend it

monkeyboyjc

Pretty sure that’s against the consumer rights act which allows an upto three month return on any unused item for any reason…..

Method of refund has to be agreed by both parties so they can’t say it’s vouchers only….

But that’s Mike Ashley for you, another reason for me to not shop at Evans – I havent since the, quick frankly, shitty buy out.

Id leave the helmet on the counter, walk out and do a charge back through my bank which will rock Mr Ashley’s bank a tiny amount.

mehr
    Free Member

Sports Direct have a sign behind the tills saying credit note on returns, which I guess is there way of getting around it

martinhutch

Credit card purchase with some other items.

There’s your solution if they stick to their guns. Chargeback because you have discovered part of the product is missing.

Bez

If it’s on a credit card then presumably you can call your credit card company to step in, since Evans charged you money and then failed to fulfil their part of the contract. Not sure whether taking the credit note would have undermined you or not here.

Pragmatically, though, can’t you use the credit note to buy the same helmet in another store or online?

Shame to see Evans go this way: the flexibility with returning internet orders etc was one of the reasons I used them quite often. I guess with the buyout it was inevitable the company would become a dick.

monkeyboyjc

I guess with the buyout it was inevitable the company would become a dick.

Anything Mike Ashley touches becomes a dick, he’s the anti-Midas…..

jameso

So it appears that Evans have adopted the SD no-refund policy along with the change to SD’s till systems recently. The Q is, you order a bike that gets delayed (supply chains and production dates are all over the place right now) and the bike you expected in eg. Sept is now due in March. You see something elsewhere that is available. You’d get a refund or a credit note? I’m pretty sure customers have been getting refunds in these cases, post till system change. Worth asking when you place an order.

damascus
    Free Member

Anything Mike Ashley touches becomes a dick, he’s the anti-Midas…..

Apart from his bank account.

Problem is we’ve been so used to getting the cheapest things as they all had a price war. Only problem with wars is there is usually only one winner.

Hes cornered the market and got us used to low prices, the majority of the UK continue to use him even though they don’t like him.

As companies fold due to covid he will buy more and more at knock down prices. He’s playing a game of highstreet business monopoly and winning.

ampthill

“Pretty sure that’s against the consumer rights act which allows an upto three month return on any unused item for any reason…..”

Im sure that’s not true for sales in shops.But im happy to be corrected with a source

Surely a till has to be able to do a refund for when you are entitled to one? The law must be on your side here. It’s either goods not as described or the sale hadn’t taken place

mercuryrev

I have recently returned a faulty Tacx trainer to them and was later told that they would issue a refund as Tacx didn’t have a replacement.

Before the store manager could ring me to do a refund over the phone, they suddenly had a ‘systems update’. After this they decided they couldn’t refund me unless I was in store.

As I live in SW France this is a little tricky. Evans are happy to refund me when I eventually return to the UK (I bet they are!) but are refusing to say why they can’t either issue a card refund over the phone, credit my bank account, send me a cheque, or try to solve the situation. In fact after one email from ‘customer service’ they’ve stopped talking to me.

They are trying to hide behind ‘our procedures’ rather than their legal obligations. So looks like it’s time for the small claims court.

It never ceases to amaze me how a company cannot see that good customer service equals future sales. Equally poor customer service usually means never dealing with them again.

monkeyboyjc

Hes cornered the market and got us used to low prices, the majority of the UK continue to use him even though they don’t like him.

He only makes you think they are cheap in sports direct, they are actually correctly priced. If they sold at the pre-sale price no one would buy them, they’d be over priced tat. That’s his whole buisness model, make you think it’s cheap, and flog it at fake mark down prices. Yes he had once put the 19.99 trainers at 89.99 but only for the minimum requirement of days, then they drop to 19.99 until they go out of fashion.
    He buys brands when they go bankrupt for peanuts then puts the logos on crap, and sells it with a big red sticker that says SALE. He sells stuff like a market trader, just above the law.
    Same with his staff and in his wharehouses, he’ll only do what he has to do in line with employment laws just line his pockets, no thought for staff, or anyone else.

From what I remember, when he bought Evans, he forced Halfords and tredz out of the negotiations buying all stores. Then closed the ones he didn’t want, getting rid of the staff and keeping the ones he wanted. This happens all of the time in retail buyouts, but he’s just such an arse about it I’ve not shopped in Evans since (sorry staff). Prob spent around £500 a year prior.

kelvin

Credit notes are worth nothing if they restructure the ownership of the shops again. Which, given who is involved, is likely. The same goes for delaying refunds. Keep the company owing customers, it looks like a deliberate policy.

brokenbanjo

I bought my last three bikes from Evans, but won’t touch them now. Which is a shame, because the staff in the Kendal branch were great, but it was binned off in the great purge.

jameso

From what I remember, when he bought Evans, he forced Halfords and tredz out of the negotiations buying all stores.

‘Needs citation’

I think there’s very few people outside PWC who know how the purchase process went. Plenty of speculation though. I seem to remember Halfords withdrawing fairly early on but wouldn’t rely on that / could be wrong.

mercuryrev

Not entirely sure of the law but I’m guessing that if a court decided they have to repay you, then the shop can no longer decide how this is done and must pay you by a certain date.

I’ve taken someone to the small claims before and it was a time consuming but painless process.

winston
    Free Member

Debating the refund policy is beside the point.

The OP didn’t knowingly buy an open box / display product. The item was not as described for sale.Thus the invitation to treat is null and void and there was no contract.

Refund policy is not applicable.

There is no way I would have left without a refund and if that was clearly impossible I would have refused the credit note and done a charge back.

The last 2 times I used Evans mail order they cocked up sizes and had items missing and delayed. I got my money back but they also promised vouchers for the hassle that never turned up. I will never use them again. Don’t even bother looking at the site anymore.

monkeyboyjc

Halfords withdrawing fairly early on but wouldn’t rely on that / could be wrong.

Halfords withdraw after tabling an offer, which was rejected. Sports direct was the other potential purchaser at the time. Administrators sold to sports direct and then, as reported in the press at the time were surprised that sports direct said they would close 50% of stores. Halfords / Tredz then bought some of these stores from sports direct.
    Having been involved in retail property for most of my career, this happens ALOT, behind doors meetings “you pull out and we’ll sell you X number of branches for a few quid…”
    Like you said lots of rumours at the time, but rumors are built on something.

Don’t even bother looking at the site anymore.

Same
    This year, I’ve used my lbs more than online for the first time in around 15yrs.

jameso

Halfords withdraw after tabling an offer, which was rejected.

ie, weren’t forced out? Or you’re suggesting they under-bid knowing this would happen? Who knows.

I could speculate on what was discussed and what the longer term plans might be from a position that’s close to all this but it’s still not close enough to know, so I won’t, since I don’t know.

daver27
    Free Member

Evans head office at Gatwick is going, as is the store and warehouse, all be centralised at Sports Direct in Shirebrook. Major redundancies, probably more stores to go. Popped into Gatwick the other day and they couldn’t even get an item out the warehouse which is just behind the workshop.
    Been a lifelong supporter, but as a serious bike retailer, they are done. I’d advise anyone to avoid them in the future and if you have anything outstanding with them, get it sorted in the next month or you’ll never get it fixed.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 75 total)

The topic ‘Change of policy at Evans on refunds’ is closed to new replies.