Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Challenging Rental Car company fees
  • windydave13
    Free Member

So i had the miss-fortune of renting a car via GoldCar in Teneriffe the other week. Not my first choice for a rental but my Avis booking got screwed up so we had to go with Goldcar.

Looking at my Credit Card statement on Friday i noticed they’d charged me an extra £50 wihtout any communication.

After several hours of failed communication i managed to get hold of them via Twitter & Facebook where they advised it was becuase i returned the car 9hrs late. I’m not sure how this could be possible as i was already back in the UK!!

I’ve provided evidence of my boarding pass on a plan 7hrs prior to this time and a timestamped pic of the car in the drop off area. They’ve now gone quiet and not responding (3days now)

Any suggestions on how i reclaim my money? Can the bank do anything or is it too low a value and i’ll have to suck it up??

Definitely a rental company toa void judging by all the negative reviews and expereinces out there

nickjb
    Free Member

How did you pay? We had similar with a hire company in Italy. They wouldn’t respond so got the credit card company onto it. The hire company failed to provide any evidence for the extra charge so we got the money back.

windydave13
    Free Member

I paid credit card thankfully, but with it being £50 i wondered if i would be told to suck it up

legend
    Free Member

Can the bank do anything or is it too low a value and i’ll have to suck it up??

Unauthorised payment isn’t it. Get the card company/bank on the case and they’ll sort it out

stever
    Free Member

Same problem here. Complete silence for 6 weeks till I took to #twittershame. Credit card company will want to know you’ve tried to resolve with supplier first.

windydave13
    Free Member

I’ve tried the shaming on twitter as well, but they just don;t care. I think now they have realised they’re in the wrong they will just ignore me.

I’m just glad i took lots of pics of the car when we collected it and dropped it off as i had a feeling something like this would happen. Especially when every panel had a serious dent vs the two they had marked on the collection sheet. #chancers

scuttler

Europcar did me. Email was auto-reply 10-days bollocks, Twitter was full of platitudes but nack all substance so I set the bank on them with a CC chargeback which took all of two days.

Charge back will probably need some evidence of non-communication from the rental company but a copy of the invoice, screenshot of tweets and a couple of emails pasted into a doc were sufficient evidence in my case.

So get on your CC website and look for the process for making a chargeback claim.

EDIT – I now sort Med rentals through local / family companies that give you less flashy cars but DNGAF about scratches and scrapes. They also typically pick up and drop off at the Arrivals hall using a sign with your name on so no queues/buses/faff.

franksinatra

Looking at my Credit Card statement

Well done for using the CC. Hiring a car is one area where CC protection is essential. The industry is full of sharks

windydave13
    Free Member

The industry is full of sharks

Thats an understatement. This one looked like it had been in a rally and considering the rental agreement was full to full, it dropped the first bar on the fuel guage after 30km. When i filled it up at the end of the week i did 100km+ on one bar!!

I may be getting ahead of myself, but at least they have ackonowledged they were wrong 😆

[url=https://flic.kr/p/22avbdx]Goldcar Scam[/url] by Dave Aspinall, on Flickr

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Challenging Rental Car company fees’ is closed to new replies.