Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 69 total)
  • Census Police
  • Xylene
    Free Member

Just had the census police at the door.

Didn’t know what to say to them so grunted and closed the door.

She is still there.

RealMan
    Free Member

Why haven’t you done it?

Dobbo

She is still there.

😆

bruneep

Just give her £1000 and tell her to go away

Junkyard
    Free Member

me too apparently as I failed to express the nationality of my young children [5 and 6]
    They know where they were born and where they live [England] but they know that I am Scottish and so is half their family. they did not really get the question tbh as it was touch too abstract for them. The youngest saod he wanted me to say pirate for his nationality

IanMunro
    Free Member

I’ve just been round to find out why someone hasn’t filled in their census. They sort of grunted and shut the door in my face. I know he’s still in there.

bloodynora
    Free Member

On a Sunday! Can’t you tell them you’ve already posted it? Are they traceable through the post?

higgo
    Free Member

On a Sunday! Can’t you tell them you’ve already posted it? Are they traceable through the post?

They can shoot you if they so much as suspect you of lying. I wouldn’t blame them.

At the end of the day they’ve got to get the population to match up with the number of returns.

uplink
    Free Member

We’ve had them too

we posted ours back a week or so ago, if they’ve lost it, it’s their problem not mine

Xylene
    Free Member

I went back after five minutes or so and told her it had been posted. She appeared happy with this.

I didn’t fill it out because I don’t believe in giving all my details to a group of people who haven’t been vetted to go through it. I don’t see why my income, religious beliefs, nationality or anything else is anybody elses business but mine.
    I have a UK passport, they can check up on that for most of my details, my driving license as well.

I also don’t fancy supporting a company is linked to the CIA, but that is just the tin-foil-hat side of me.

Spongebob
    Free Member

This census is far less probing than the last (or maybe I don’t care amymore).

mrmo
    Free Member

Quirrel, how about the other side of the census, your council is funded on the back of it, you don’t return it you don’t exist and your council will receive less money from central government.

Xylene
    Free Member

Quirrel, how about the other side of the census, your council is funded on the back of it

Why does my council need to know my salary, religion and country of origin?

Surely having me down paying council tax, is enough to say that I live here, I do afterall have to show all who live in the house on the councli tax payments

RealMan
    Free Member

Why do you care..?

poly
    Free Member

I don’t see why my income, religious beliefs, nationality or anything else is anybody elses business but mine.

I take it you haven’t read the form then? because IIRC it doesn’t ask about income and the religious beliefs question was optional.

I have a UK passport, they can check up on that for most of my details, my driving license as well.

But the whole point of the census is that they keep that information separate rather than having a central database of “people” in the UK. The civil liberties arguments are actually undermined by the “just join up the existing information and you’ll have the answers anyway” suggestion (although personally I think it would be better if they did just join it all up – I see why lots of people don’t think government should hold all of that in one place).

DickBarton

Clearly a different census to mine as there is no mention of salary. Stop trying to be awkward and read it instead. If you are that bad, the CIA will take you out anyway.

mrmo
    Free Member

As for the CIA issue, if you are a trouble maker they probably know who you are anyway. you do realise that the UK security services do talk to their US counterparts? That GCHQ employs US staff of three year placements, etc.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Didn’t know what to say to them so grunted ……

I think the idea is that they help people with learning difficulties. Which might explain why she waited……maybe she thought you had gone to get your form ? Or maybe your carer ?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Just had the woman ring my bell! She’s told me I’ll get a thousand pound fine if I don’t return it.

Not against it, just can’t be arsed filling it out, is all. Spose I should do it and just be done with it really, it’s not that big a deal.

MikeG

They must be out in force today, just had a very old man in a bright red cap banging on the front door. Told him I’d posted it a few days ago and he wandered off chuntering.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Done it only took 5 mins now where’s that woman oh she’s gone. 🙁

project
    Free Member

What happens if you post it, and some postie nicks/mis directs it, how do you prove theyve not had it as well.

Then theres the question of Royal fail not actually delivering one.

stumpyjon

Do it on line, easier than filling out the form, you don’t have to go to the post box and Royal mail can’t lose it (although the internets may of course eat it).

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

What happens if you post it, and some postie nicks/mis directs it

Good point. I believe there is a thriving market in completed census forms ……. lazy buggers everywhere are prepared to pay good money for stolen completed census forms.

The posties must be raking it in.

Cougar

There’s a bunch of scammers going round too, offering to ‘take your form in for you’ and help you fill it out and such. My mum’s had them at the door twice now (and told them to get knotted, fortunately).

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Why would anyone want to do that? 😕

allthepies
    Free Member

Do it online FFS!

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

If you really don’t want to fill in the form, and you get the census police round, just tell them you were not living in that property on the date it needed to be filled in. Ie you have only just moved in, and have only just moved back to the UK

john_drummer
    Free Member

I take it you haven’t read the form then? because IIRC it doesn’t ask about income and the religious beliefs question was optional.

that’s exactly what I was thinking.

It strikes me that the people not wanting to fill it in either (a) haven’t actually read it (b) are lazy sods or (c) are being awkward just for the sake of it.

The only potentially contentious issue is of “nationality”. I put “British” because, well, that’s what I am. England, Wales, Scotland & Northern Ireland are separate “provinces” or “regions” of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, or at least that’s what it says on my passport. It doesn’t say England on it. Nor does it say “Yorkshire” but that wasn’t an option on the census

Northwind

Quirrel – Member

I should like to take this opportunity to say,

john_drummer
    Free Member

and before any pedants get active, my passport says “united kindom of…” and doesn’t actually say that the four largest constituent parts are merely regions or provinces…

although perhaps it should 😉

Tom83

My missus filled ours out, i only had to post it.

Cougar

Why would anyone want to do that?

You’re elderly and can’t read it? We’ll help. Name? Age? Date of birth? Bank account number?

ps44
    Free Member
    mikewsmith
    Free Member

if you didn’t fill it in and think this makes you big and clever

GROW UP

Tescos knows more about you and the CIA couldn’t give a ****

bruk

ps44 – Member

Read this: how to deal with a census compliance officer

Had a look at that, very funny.

They are most surely wearing tin foil hats, sitting in a darkened room with tin foil over the windows.

daveob
    Free Member

CBA expecting a visit soon.

MrOvershoot

Filled it in online, took about 5 minutes and you get a receipt number to say you completed it.

Some people who won’t fill it in just want to be arse’s for the sake of it

Cougar

TBH,

I’ve no problems with filling it in. I did it online, took no time, and I don’t need a tinfoil hat to protect me from Them.

However, if some cleverbollocks comes knocking on my door, wasting my time, to chase up a form that I’ve already filled in, I’m likely to have sense of humour failure.

It’s not hard to cross-reference “addresses” with “forms completed” for a start, so we’re looking at harassment and possibly trespass(?), but moreover I don’t think it’s a particularly smart idea to be going door-to-door reassuring people that it’s ok to give out personal information to people who come knocking on the door asking for it.

sc-xc

Fight the power. Or download Rage against the machine. Or don’t fill a census form in.

All equally impotent ways of sticking it to the man.

(Oh, and Project….get over yourself – it’s getting very tired.)

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 69 total)

The topic ‘Census Police’ is closed to new replies.