Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • CCDB CS Advice
  • bitterlemon
    Free Member

Hi, I have the ccdb fitted to a banshee rune using the default settings but recently I’ve bottomed out the shock a few times. I’ve added another small spacer to sit with the one large spacer that is already fitted and I expected to set the same sag with less air yet it needs more air – aghh…

I haven’t ridden it yet but when setting the sag it feels plusher than it has but it has more air. The HSC hasn’t changed.

Maybe cleaning it helped but really confused. Any pointers?

Cheers,

itslightlike
    Free Member

I’m not that familiar with ccdb but I thought they had compression adjustment.
    Perhaps a little more of that may improve resistance to bottoming without it affecting small bump sensitivity too much.

chiefgrooveguru

You probably need to cycle the shock a few times to equalise the negative spring.

Have you gone through the Cane Creek field tuning guide? Are you bottoming out hard or just using all the travel?

bitterlemon
    Free Member

Hi, cycled shock and it’s holding air. I’ve left the settings to default for now but was planning on adding lsc for when peddling. I’ve added about an extra 20psi air to have the correct sag and I thought it would be less? Is this right?

bitterlemon
    Free Member

Sorry – when bottoming out its just clipping it I think. Cheers.

andylc
    Free Member

If you’re bottoming out the shock would you not adjust the high speed compression a little? Regarding spacers I would have thought that adding a spacer would not affect the sag setting but would just make it ramp up more near the end of the stroke…?

bitterlemon
    Free Member

I presumed the same so can’t understand why more air is required for the same sag. When I originally increased the hsc just by a little I couldn’t get full travel so thought I would add the spacer to make it more progressive.
    I’ll take it out tomorrow to ensure its properly cycled.

andylc
    Free Member

Mine is definitely quite sensitive – if I change any settings I only do it by a really small amount. I use about 125 psi (I weigh 65kg) but it’s a different bike do not necessarily comparable.

bitterlemon
    Free Member

Reading the last post may be something was up to begin with. Different bike taken into consideration but I was running 75psi and I’m 80kg. Sounds like it was sticking, it feels totally different now…

andylc
    Free Member

The advice from the Cane Creek instructions on my CCDB CS was to start with a PSI of your weight in pounds minus 20, so 75 psi sounds very low.
    Edit just found that in the original instructions. On that basis your starting pressure would be 156psi!

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Surely bottoming it out a couple of times on a ride means its set up correctly…

andylc
    Free Member

I would personally prefer not to bottom out completely, but would like to see the rubber ring showing I got pretty near to full travel during the ride, assuming I’ve been doing a decent ride with some good downhills and the odd drop off. I have no idea if that is actually the correct thing to do, it just seemed right to me. Same with forks.

kudos100
    Free Member

Sounds to me like it is set up fine. Ideally you want to be bottoming it out during a ride.

If you are bottoming it out all the time on mellow trails then it needs tweaking. Once or twice is nothing to worry about.

bitterlemon
    Free Member

Really, it’s ok to bottom out on the harsher stuff. I thought the extra travel would be better? Even if that’s ok why would I now need a higher pressure to achieve the same sag, can they become a bit sticky?
    Thanks for all the input, I just find this one a bit strange. Cheers

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Theres no extra travel, bottoming it means youre using it all properly

chiefgrooveguru

Really, it’s ok to bottom out on the harsher stuff. I thought the extra travel would be better? Even if that’s ok why would I now need a higher pressure to achieve the same sag, can they become a bit sticky?

Bottoming is fine if it doesn’t feel unpleasant when it happens – I bottom mine on larger stuff but not on every ride – it never feels like my hardtail when landing a huck though! Shocks and forks tend to be a bit tight when new – once they’re moving freely they’ll need more pressure to support the load.

My Spitfire’s CCDBA-CS has just over 150psi in it and I’m 12 stone something – after some tweaking I’m back at the base tune!

bitterlemon
    Free Member

It sounds like the amount of air should have been higher to begin with, I’ll be giving tft a ring on Monday asking for some advice. Cheers

grahamt1980

I had about 20 psi to low in mine when it first arrived.
    As soon as I increased the pressure it has been spot on ever since

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘CCDB CS Advice’ is closed to new replies.