Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)
  • Carbon DH bikes
  • DrDomRob
    Free Member

That's the result of pushing the materials to their limits and beyond.

njee20
    Free Member

but I would have thought they would be using UD layups in various layers rather than woven mats

Yes, but in places as insignificant as the seats they're still using 3k or similar by the looks of it, which was what I meant, ie they're going to be using shed loads!

DrDomRob
    Free Member

sorry, I misunderstood what you were asking. So yes, they are using several shed loads!

Waderider
    Free Member

Just so I can sift which posters above to give creedance too, can you all please revisit this thread and state your credentials backing up your opinion – e.g. what your doctorate is in, who among you is an F1 engineer?

I don't know why, sometimes I get the sneaking suspicion anyone can post an opinion on the net……..

This is a serious request, call it research.

adeward
    Free Member

here you go waderider , i agree with you, there is a lot of heresay written here,

no formal qualifications,
    15 years in F1 R and D Benetton Arrows and williams
    5 years ohlins race service british/world superbike/gp
    2 years designer for Marin/whyte
    10 worldwide patents as inventor/co inventor in suspension design/air shocks and a combination bicycle bump shock and tyre

still designing bikes and stuff for a number of companies

now working at my local high school as a design and technology technician

IainGillam
    Free Member

DH isn't a poor mans sport really, it can be done on a budget if
    your aim is to have fun, but to be competative you should really be looking to take advantage of any new technical developments, considering a growing number of serious privateers now view a DH frame as a single season investment, the longevity of a Composite DH frame might be less of a consideration than it's weight, plus it's fair to say that more "traditional" DH frames constructed from Aluminium only have a finite life especially when used for racing…

I'd disagree that you need a new frame/bike every year to be competitive Ben Reid used to ride a skip circa 06(?)
    (Image Plucked straight from google)

He did the World cups on it and Didn't do too badly on it. (Probably why he can do well on the Norco…)

Iain

davefarmer
    Free Member

BUT Ben Reid and his father did a LOT of work to that old frame, cutting seat and chainstays, welding a bit extra in and re-heat treating it to lengthen it. New linkage plates for travel settings and as the old ones broke. Welding plate after plate over cracks as they appeared.

He liked the geometry and is very picky about his bike, but it is fair to say they nursed it through a few seasons racing.

IainGillam
    Free Member

True it wasn't a run of the mill production frame but the point I was making was is you don't need a new frame each season, once you have something that you are confidant on there isn't really any reason to change, the bike makes up a very small part of the overall package in relation to the rider.

Iain

Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘Carbon DH bikes’ is closed to new replies.