Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 87 total)
  • car with winter tyres vs 4×4 on factory fit
  • pedlad

I have to go to Leeds and possibly Manchester way for meetings wed/thurs this week. I have a mitsubishi outlander on the factory fit toyo’s (summers I guess)with 10k on them or the wife has an astra on winters.

With the proviso that that all our forecast providers generally predict doomsday and we actually then get just normal winter weather….but just in case what would you take. ps it’s not forecast snow at home before someone shouts you heartless beast..

I’m thinking that whilst the mitsu will get going ok turning and braking may not be as good as the astra…which was phenominal 2 winters ago coming back from oop north in a few inches of snow.

jimw
    Free Member

Take the Astra
    http://youtu.be/mfuE00qdhLA

Braking is significantly better as well

porter_jamie

I’d probably take the astra. What tyres exactly are on the mitsi though as my mates landrover has m+s ones on anyway

irc

the astra…which was phenominal 2 winters ago coming back from oop north in a few inches of snow.

Answered it yourself surely?

jimw
    Free Member

It may be worth checking the wear on the winter tyres, whilst still better than summer tyres in the cold down to the 1.6mm wear limit, if below 4mm their performance on snow drops off significantly

SaxonRider

Astra, hands down. It doesn’t if you have a 10-wheel-drive, if the tyres are not made for the conditions and have no grip, you won’t get through the snow and ice.

spooky_b329

Astra.

If not for the pleasure of passing all the go anywhere 4x4s in a ‘normal’ car 🙂

pedlad

Answered it yourself surely?

Yes but my car has a decent stereo and heated seats for 8 hours of driving over two days

Just thought it may be a myth about 4x4s being poop in the snow on summers.
    Pretty certain they’re summers on the mitsubishi and I’ll check the depth on the winters. Ta

torihada
    Free Member

Yes but my car has a decent stereo and heated seats for 8 hours of driving over two days

Pretty certain they’re summers on the mitsubishi and I’ll check the depth on the winters. Ta”

Friend in rear wheel drive Merc overtook Ranger Rover sat spinning in snow in the alps. Guess which car had the winter tyres.

spooky_b329

Me in fully loaded Ford Transit, overtook (ok, crawled past at a sensible speed) a Porche Cayenne struggling to maintain 5mph on a flat road (and going sideways 🙂 ) I’d just driven up a fairly steep hill on normal tyres and then scared myself when I noticed all the holes in someones fence where the cars coming down hadn’t made it!

falkirk-mark

Leave the astra for wifey, a real man could drive th 4×4 and make progress. 😆

jimjam
    Free Member

pedlad

It is. A few winters ago my Legacy on summer tyres was sensational in several inches of snow. Never struggled for grip, passed everything. I couldn’t really discern much difference between the Legacy and my Hilux which was on BF Goodrich AT’s. If the snow gets really deep though, a 4×4 with increased ground clearance will easily go where cars will not.

The random factor here is the driver. If you can’t drive in snow, no amount of technology will help you.

tlr

Astra.

It’s not even close.

Duffer
    Free Member

The trouble with taking the Astra is that you’ll have to drive an Astra. Regardless of tyres, I’d take the Mitsubishi. Failing that, I’d walk.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Train

climbingkev
    Free Member

Check your tyres on the Mitsi, my Outlander came with all season tyres and I’ve never struggled in some pretty significant snow. That said I’ve never driven on full on winter tyres.

It is. A few winters ago my Legacy on summer tyres was sensational in several inches of snow. Never struggled for grip, passed everything. I couldn’t really discern much difference between the Legacy and my Hilux which was on BF Goodrich AT’s.

The random factor here is the driver. If you can’t drive in snow, no amount of technology will help you.

BFG AT’s aren’t winter/snow tyres you know

doh
    Free Member

It’s a moot point if a couple of cars/trucks get into trouble on any point of your journey then you will be stuck no matter what you are driving.
    (Speaks from bitter experience)

pedlad

Leave the astra for wifey, a real man could drive th 4×4 and make progress.

Don’t worry I’m a driving God….obviously

jimjam
    Free Member

TheArtistFormerlyKnownAsSTR

BFG AT’s aren’t winter/snow tyres you know

They work very well in the snow.

More than good enough to negate the need for snow tyres on a 4×4 unless you live in some alpine winter wonderland.

Kuco

Porche Cayenne struggling to maintain 5mph on a flat road

I’ve seen this with someone in a Range Rover going sideways. When he stopped he said he didn’t know whats up as its a 4×4, I pointed out his low profile tyres weren’t really made for the snow.

My L200 has BFG AT’s and never struggled in snow and do a pretty good job off road unless it’s really boggy or clay. But they are ALL TERRAIN meaning they are okay at a bit of everything but not great at any one thing.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

My 4×4 (summer tyres) is hopeless in our marginal ‘winter conditions’, mainly because it’s rwd and you can’t use the 4×4 unless it’s proper slippy on the ground (slip dif or whatever it’s called?). It’s just not worth chancing knackering it unless the conditions are consistently bad, not just patchy, so you have to drive like everyone else with very poor rwd. Add that to the fact that tyres play the main role, it’s a no brainer really. On the odd occasions I have been able to use 4×4 on snow covered roads, it’s been fine, but the summer tyres always caused me to still drive with care and I’m not convinced I was all that much better off than my old Astra with it’s heavy diesel engine on fwd and summer tyres.

andyt111
    Free Member

Got back from the Alps on Saturday – I took a 4×4 on the standard M&S tyres, friend was in a BMW on winter tyres. The 4×4 got up the slope to the chalet without any issues the BMW on winters couldn’t get anywhere near.

Obviously there is no doubt that winter tyres are the most suitable for the time of year but different conditions/circumstances might favour a 4×4 on m&s tyres – I’d be taking the most comfortable car for the journey, if the snow does strike then you’ll most likely end up in a queue caused by someone else and might as well be on a heated seat with a decent radio!

They work very well in the snow

Thinking of putting some of these on my Navara

jimjam
    Free Member

What are they 33″s?

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

I run winters on my Berlingo, but for a long journey through a busy area where if everyone else gets stuck, you’ll get stuck, I’d tale the vehicle most comfortable to sleep in.

Fortunately for me I live in a rural area and can usually take a back road to avoid any blockage, but if you are surrounded by stuck unprepared numpties, you are going nowhere.

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

I can confirm that a Yaris on winter tyres is substantially less good (and less fun) on snow than a landy with pretty well any tyres I’ve owned fitted.

Doesn’t mean a 2wd is useless, you’d still get where you needed to go unless its 2010-style snow.

sweaman2
    Free Member

Not a helpful answer but a lot of it depends on the “type” of snow and road conditions.

I’m in Canada and I have an Outlander and it has “proper” winter tyres – big lugs and a soft compound as well (Dunlop Grandtrek SJ6). It’s fantastic in deep snow (by deep I’m talking 1 foot+ on the road). But on tarmac it rumbles and is generally unpleasant; also under hard braking you can feel the tyres squirming.

Sweamrs1 has an Impreeza and it’s fitted with Michelin X-Ice. These are seriously good on packed snow and black ice; much better in fact than the Outlanders. In very heavy snow though they can get a bit bogged down and the lower ground clearance doesn’t help but it’s still a 4wd so in general she’s okay.

Personally I’d take the Astra and try not to get bogged down in the snow if it starts getting deep.

molgrips
    Free Member

If you can’t drive in snow, no amount of technology will help you

Dunno how you can claim to know what you are talking about and then post a sentence like that!

What are they 33″s?

265/70/17’s to replace my 255/60/18 road tyres/wheels

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Cooper ATs on my L200, they have been rather fine in everything so far – and aren’t too bad on the road either! Massively improved a car with godawful handling – the new Navara/Renault for 2016 looks pretty interesting though, I may just need to look into changing my (well, companies) lease! It’s about due anyway….

Considerably better than the Bridgestone Duellers that it came with… but then so would tyres made of ice and grease. Hateful things!

jimjam
    Free Member

molgrips

Dunno how you can claim to know what you are talking about and then post a sentence like that!

It’s really quite simple molgrips, if you use low gears and high revs you’ll break traction, even in a 4×4 with winter tyres. I know you’re the sage guru of all things driving, so of course, you already know that, but lots of people don’t. Also observe how traction control, designed to assist drivers will render their cars un-driveable in snow and ice if left on in some cars.

More often than not when people get stuck in 4x4s it’s because they haven’t a clue how to drive in the conditions, not because they need better stuff.

Considerably better than the Bridgestone Duellers that it came with… but then so would tyres made of ice and grease. Hateful things!

I concur – had them on a Ford Ranger a few years ago. I think they were actually made from ball bearings coated in silicone.

Northwind

How does 4×4 improve braking and cornering? It’s good for getting moving but getting moving can be just the first step in your crash.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

I’ve got a 4×4 and I maintain they can get you into trouble further from help and at a greater speed that a 2wd if you aren’t careful.

molgrips
    Free Member

It’s really quite simple molgrips

I know. Winter tyres give much more grip on snow. So no matter how inept a driver is, winter tyres will definitely help.

And I’m not sage of driving, I’m sage of sound reasoning 🙂

mattbee

AT or MT style tyres are indeed great on soft, freshly lain snow.
    They are no better than normal road tyres on compacted polished icy stuff. Arguably worse due to lower contact area.
    In my experience, of course.

tomd
    Free Member

I was always surprised at how (relatively) few 4x4s there are in properly cold and snowy places like Finland, Norway, Latvia etc. Winter or studded tyres, more experienced / trained winter drivers and away they go.

molgrips
    Free Member

They aren’t all well trained. Saw a few howlers when I ws in Helsinki, although admittedly not as many as you would here 🙂

jimjam
    Free Member

molgrips

I know. Winter tyres give much more grip on snow. So no matter how inept a driver is, winter tyres will definitely help.

And no matter how good the winter tyres are, they won’t make up for a drivers ineptitude. The driver’s the crucial component here.

Northwind

How does 4×4 improve braking and cornering? It’s good for getting moving but getting moving can be just the first step in your crash.

4×4 gives a huge improvement in cornering performance in adverse conditions, but I know what you’re saying. It can give a false sense of security as it doesn’t making stopping any easier. Engine braking may be improved, I don’t know but that’d be a moot point I think.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 87 total)

The topic ‘car with winter tyres vs 4×4 on factory fit’ is closed to new replies.