Home Forums Bike Forum Can’t get grub screws out my frame – help

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Can’t get grub screws out my frame – help
  • stennah
    Free Member

So I’m still trying to sort my Helius AM out and I can’t get the grub screws out anyone have any ideas ? Close to fking the frame off and going back to my old single pivot / maintenance free Orange five !!

Any advice warmly welcome and no smart arse comments please I’m not in a good mood after spending hours achieving nothing

Cheers

tjagain

Heat, penetrating oil, good fitting tools is the usual recipe.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Quick answer take it to a shop and let then have a crack at it.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Penetrating oil. You could also freeze a socket bit whack it in the screw while simultaneously heating the frame a bit (lynx and a lighter?) Then turn the screw, hard. Best bet of success would be to use a very good fitting bit and don’t let it slip!

mrpeaski
    Free Member

If the problem is that either your allen key or the grub screw is rounded out, try a torx bit gently tapped in.

Penetrating oil etc will help.

When you get it out, use a normal Allen head bolt lubed to chase the threads out

stennah
    Free Member

Thanks everyone glad nobody said the frame is fubar !! Penetrating oil it is with a torx bit

cynic-al
    Free Member

Drill/tap should also be straightforward

singlespeedstu

al.

Ever tried drilling a really hard grubscrew out of soft alloy?

timbog160
    Free Member

The torx bit approach has always worked for me – just go steady…

cornholio98
    Free Member

Depending on everything around the screw penetrating oil and ezy out or if it is really gone you can try left handed drill bit.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Plus gas

Impact driver (not a gun an old style percussion style hammer one)

stennah
    Free Member

Just bought a screw extractor kit and some penetrating oil so fingers crossed

Ambrose

Did you try removing the Allen bolt from the opposite side?

bigyan
    Free Member

If its rounded out I would hammer in a spline bit first as it can be a quick fix. (hammering can als also help shock things loose)

Heating or cooling can be effective, just have a think about the expansion ratios of the materials first.

Left hand drill bits can be handy, but normally they catch and spin out bolts that the head has sheared off rather than the shank is seized, same with easy outs unless the original bit was tiny.

If you are going to take it to a shop try and not bork it totally, I often have to spend a lot of extra time removing stuff people have mullered trying to remove, 10 min labour turned into an 1 hour labour.

You can also weld something on to wind it out, welding on a washer first, then a nut onto a washer can work well for small studs down a hole. The heat from welding can also help loosen things off, again just have a think about expansion rates before you try and remove it hot or cold.

tjagain

be very very careful with easiouts – break one of them off you are in real trouble.  They do come in two types – black ones that look like taps – they are very brittle adn easy to snap thus pretty useless on seized bolts especially in small sizes.  You also get silver ones that are basically a long taper with a left hand coarse thread – I find them much better as they do not snap

dirk_pumpa
    Free Member

Another vote for torx.. ive used it countless times always works although im not sure how badly corroded your grub screw is so id err on the side of caution and smash it with penetrating oil for a few days before going for it. Hammer the torx driver in proper..

joshvegas
    Free Member

Impact driver (not a gun an old style percussion style hammer one)

This with the penetrating oil and torx bit.

Best do it all at once as you’ve less chance of mucking it up more than steadily progressing up the big hammer armoury.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Can’t get grub screws out my frame – help’ is closed to new replies.