Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Cannock chase basics
  • titusrider
    Free Member

Heya

Got a work thing in Telford later in the week, so plotting an evening escape to Cannock.

How long to do ftd and/or monkey riding without much faffing?
    If it gets dark will I get lost or is the way marking pretty good? (I’ve got lights)
    Any locals tips I need to know?

julians
    Free Member

I’d say somewhere between 1.5 and 2.5 hours depending on how fast you are/how much stopping you do.

The way marking is excellent, little chance of getting lost.

postierich
    Free Member

Buy this months magazine 🙂

pocpoc
    Free Member

I’m sure some locals can give more advice, but I believe that the main pay and display car park shuts before it gets dark. There are many more options for parking, but I don’t know them except down by the water works place at the start of Monkey.

somouk
    Free Member

Best place to park for an evening jaunt is Marquis drive by the visitors centre. It starts you at the top of the fun bit of the Dog and as the trails are loops you’ll end up back where you started still.

You’ll be fine after dark if the doggers don’t get you, the trails are quite will marked.

It’s about a 40 minute drive from Telford to Cannock just be aware the evening traffic can be bad around the galley roundabout on the A5 which might add 10 minutes.

trisysjoint

If you park on Marquis Drive (there are laybys with no barriers just here) you can park for free with no time limits and the follow the dog trail runs parallel to it just in the trees so you can hop on then hop off as you please.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.7388851,-1.9989397,17z

wobbliscott
    Free Member

It is waymarked pretty well, but there is one area where I have turned people round several times. When you come off the first half of the FTD and onto the start of the MT you cross a road (be careful here). The way onto the MT is to turn right once you’ve crossed the road, but it is quite common for people to miss the sign and carry on straight up the fire road. That is the only potential pitfall. You’ll do the MT loop then come back down that fire road to re-join the second part of the FTD.

prawny

Less than 2 hours for the whole thing easily, with no faffing. Less than an hour for just the dog inc faffing.

Signposting is better than most trail centres I’d say.

Definitely park at Marquis drive, it’s fairly busy with yoofs in the evening, but they seem to be fairly harmless, they’re normally relaxed and eating.

Don’t think any other local knowledge would help really, best not to know about the pig man, IMO.

jekkyl

What time would you be starting Op?

JAG

Less than 2 hours for the whole thing easily, with no faffing. Less than an hour for just the dog inc faffing.

I’d agree 😆

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Agree with the above that a sub 2 hour time should be possible for a non-faff/non-stop session for most mortal riders.

If you’re not confident on very rocky sections – especially those with tight corners entering into them – you might want to avoid the black sections on The Monkey Trail (which is easily done).

titusrider
    Free Member

Thanks all, looking at heading round either wed or Thursday evening. Maybe 6:30/7pm would appreciate company jekkyl 🙂

RoterStern
    Free Member

Why not have a play on the Wrekin and Ercall if you are in Telford? Maximize the riding time. PLenty of routes on Strava.

dubber
    Free Member

Main car park is closed at 8pm at the moment , so best to park at Marquis Drive as others have suggested .

jekkyl

Titus, it’s possible I might be able to join you on the wednesday night, dependent on what the wife says. Leave it with me and I’ll bare it in mind. If I can do it I’ll message you through here. I’ll give you guidance on where to park n meet if I come. 🙂

NWAlpsJeyerakaBoz
    Free Member

Surprised no one has mentioned the permit you need…

Hoff

I’m working in Cannock tomorrow & stopping over at a pub called the Rag at Rawnsley. You can ride from there & join the Monkey near Beaudesert Golf Club. Happy to show you around if you’re there.

titusrider
    Free Member

Thanks all!

Had a great blast round last night. Lots more drops and jumps from the one time I’d done it years ago. Very fun 🙂

Strava

jekkyl

woops I thought you meant next week 😳 Glad you had a good time though and found it without any issues.

steve_b77
    Free Member

The question must be asked, whats the fastest do’nkey lap time?

somouk
    Free Member

You certainly smashed all of my Strava PRs even from when I was thin and what I thought fit, good show!

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Cannock chase basics’ is closed to new replies.