Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 71 total)
  • Canal tow path 'banter'
  • handybendyhendo
    Free Member

Me: *pedalling backwards to accentuate the hope clickies*
    Me: *pull the squeaky brake (claggy parts of ride dirtied the disc)
    Bloke: *eventually moves over* “I did not hear a bell”
    Me: “Did you not hear the squeaks?”
    Bloke: “I would rather hear a bell”
    Me: “I can hear a bell end”

Conversation closes

Little things an all that….smiled all the way back to Cromford……

Jamie
    Free Member

There were no winners here.

handybendyhendo
    Free Member

Opinions vary……

sofatester
    Free Member

A sarcastic “Ding Ding” would have been a better.

Still funny though.

😀

chip
    Free Member

I normally just thank people politely for allowing me to pass.

allthepies
    Free Member

Speaking to people helps 🙂

yunki
    Free Member

I tend to just use my bell if I’m on a shared path..

Simple

handybendyhendo
    Free Member

I politely thanked 15+ people……

The aggressive approach, from one person, warranted a sarky remark IMHO……

Teetosugars
    Free Member

handybendyhendo
    Free Member

Ah cheers mate…..I always think my stories are the best. Glad you concur.

chip
    Free Member

I thank with a smile even the aggressive ones, as the tow paths can get very busy in the summer and as a pedestrian you can have to stop and step aside on some of the skinnier sections literally every couple of minutes to let a cyclist through, and thet would get on the tits of a saint.

njee20
    Free Member

Aah yes, ‘banter’ the new name for “being a ****”.

simondbarnes

Knob

retro83
    Free Member

stumpy01

Even when riding a bike, there is something about the incessant ‘Hope clickies’ that means I won’t move over until asked to, let alone walking along.
    During a race/event; constant hope clickies and I ain’t moving….a quick ‘rider up’ and I will go out of my way to make some room.
    Obviously I will make room if it’s the lead pack coming through, but you can normally tell when they are approaching, as opposed to some mid-pack elite rider wannabe.

jekkyl

lol.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I don’t have a bell either, but again, my Orange 5 with it’s It’s inbuilt ‘noise’, squeaky Hope brakes & the din coming from the freehub, plus my wheezing & gasping….well people on towpaths in Norfolk can hear me before any bell would alert them!

‘I would rather hear a bell’ WTF!

Similar thing years ago on a winter ride, catching some walkers & riding through the frozen puddles when a woman looked round when we were 100 yards away, she warned her pals of our approach then when we got to her she said, ‘you should have a bell’

Junkyard
    Free Member

Even when riding a bike, there is something about the incessant ‘Hope clickies’ that means I won’t move over until asked to, let alone walking along

WHY? what is the point of this?

IME a bell is either ignored or cause wild spread panic as walkers scatter in all directions

Lawmanmx
    Free Member

yea, they trained Rats to respond to bells!
    Be More Rat 😆

I always find a polite ‘scuse me’ is suffice, even when im not on my bike, seems to work everywhere (Until the pedants are out’ 🙄

TooTall
    Free Member

I ride bikes a lot and yield to pretty much anyone else on a trail or such path.
    Except for those who think that rattling their agricultural components at me is some sort of substitute for a bell or politeness.
    Just get a bell.

scotroutes

Bells are crap. To many walkers they sound like a “command” to get out of the way. Slow down and ask politely to get past. Always works for me (except for those that are wearing headphones and wouldn’t hear anyway).

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Njee is correct.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Give them the full range of your ring tones starting with the dukes of hazzard Der Ner Ner Ner Ner Ner Ner Ner Ner Ner Ner Ner

RustySpanner

Walkers have priority innit?

A nice cheery ‘Hello’ usually does it.
    If not, I just get off and walk the bike past ’em.

Older people take longer to react, many have hearing/sight/mobility issues.

Be nice – costs nowt.

noltae
    Free Member

I usually find a full speed skid about a foot behind walkers ankles does the trick

brooess
    Free Member

OP – if you can politely thank 15+ people you can politely thank 16+

I know passive aggressive idiocy gets on your nerves but you’d have had a better day if you’d let it go… why let his inability to be polite affect your ability to be polite?

deadkenny
    Free Member

Tow paths seem to feature a lot more anti-bike feelings than out on the hills I find.

If I don’t have a bell I get the “where’s your bell?”, and shocked alarm diving for cover as if they’re under attack even having heard or seen me from half a mile away anyway.

If I do have a bell, they look as if they’re about to have a heart attack, then give me a dirty look. Or there’s the sarcastic “well at *least* you rang the bell”.

Then there’s the groups who will block the path, notice you from afar and continue to block the path and will not move. I don’t expect them to give way instantly and I stop to let them past when coming towards me, but when following behind a polite “excuse me” when they’re at a point easy to step aside and all should be happy. Despite this, some will flat refuse to let you past, even where the tow path has shared cycle and walker permission.

And the bells… modern cheap bells that come with bikes are just rubbish. The one I use is such a one, and half the time it doesn’t work. And yes they are a bit “get out of my way!”.

jekkyl

Christ you lot, no one died, no need to be so judgemental. I thought it a witty retort. The walker was being a bell end and deserved to be told so, just like how some of you have told the op.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Not just me then

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

I scream STRAAAAAVAAAAA at full tilt. Most of them move the ones that don’t end up in the drink.

#internetwarrior

RustySpanner

I wasn’t being judgemental.

Just letting the OP know that walkers have priority and old people are often a bit slower to react.
    He/she might not have known.

Sorry.

endurogangster
    Free Member

Top effort, thought could have been improved by a) farting on him or b) a crafty nudge into the canal

handybendyhendo
    Free Member

You lot are funny.

From ‘big hitting’ scorn upon my actions, to self righteous admonishment……

It / he didn’t ruin my day, it caused an amusement to my day. Ramblers’ ramblings often do.

Fire up ya keyboards again big guys……

psling
    Free Member

Me, me, me 🙄

Have you not for one moment considered that it may have ruined his day and that he not have been amused.

It’s not banter, it’s agressive intimidation over some poor defenceless walker; your comment may have pushed him over the edge of despair, broken up his family, cost him his job, lost him his home. Have you no sensitivity?

sofatester
    Free Member

From ‘big hitting’ scorn upon my actions, to self righteous admonishment

STW never fails to deliver on both counts!

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Me ‘Howling screaming brakes’
    Couple hear me and move to one side
    Me’ good morning and thanks’
    Another couple just ahead of them. Bloke talking so loud, he wouldnt hear a neutron bomb go off. Doesn’t move with howling brakes.
    Me ‘ morning and excuse me, can I pass ?’
    Still doesnt hear me over his voice or the woman next to him.
    Me a bit louder’ Excuse me can I pass you ?’
    Him ‘ Oh and where is your bell, I didn’t hear it?’
    Me ‘ you would hear nothing other than your own voice, so not sure if I had a klaxon your hear that either’
    Couple behind…. sound of laughter…..
    Him…….Silence……..
    Wat with a capital T …….
    I have actually now bought a klaxon siren and looking forward to using it……

sofatester
    Free Member

I have actually now bought a klaxon siren and looking forward to using it……

Please have your GoPro running when you do!

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Its one of these and jees is it loud 😯

Fleabay

iain1775
    Free Member

Oh great OP another local pissed off
    Your only allowed on that path by agreement, and there is so much cheeky riding round there that by and large is pretty much tolerated that we really should not be pissing people off

handybendyhendo
    Free Member

It is Matlock…..the standard position is pissed off.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 71 total)

The topic ‘Canal tow path 'banter'’ is closed to new replies.