Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • can you weigh your kids bikes pls?
  • mountaincarrot
    Free Member

I'll be looking for a secondhand 20" 6 or 7 speed kids bike soon. Naturally the enormous weight of most of these is on my mind (It's hilly round these parts). Got any figures to help me when it's bidding time?

Ridgeback 12 KG (yes)
    Specialized – No data (Are they really too scared to tell us)
    Islabikes Beinn 8.8Kg

Others?

Nick

£5 says the Isla is the lightest, my daughter has one and at 8 years old was flying up a gravelly climb in the campsite that had all the other (bigger) kids walking up. It's a fantastic bike, just get one.

epicyclo

Most kids bikes are way too heavy. Helps make them into strong little devils 🙂

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    avdave2

Islabikes do trade in on their bikes so it might be worth contacting them to see what they have available. They don't seem to advertise what second-hand stock they have so you'll probably have to call them.

alexpalacefan

second for Isla bikes. I teach kids to ride, and they are by far the best machines. Superb.

A

ton

my daughter has a specialized A1 bike.
    it is probably one of the best kids bikes to get.
    propoer small reach brakes, very soft rst forks, light action gripshift.
    it weights about 22lbs.

Swiftacular
    Free Member

I was shocked when i picked up me lads 16" wheeled Saracen, and it weighs more than my Pace.

DezB
    Free Member

My boy's 16" Raleigh (singlespeed) is about as heavy as my Yeti. I can confirm this as I had to carry the **** thing home last night! 😡

His next bike will be aluminium for definite. Dawes and Ridgeback seem to make the most reasonably priced alu frames from my research so far.

mountaincarrot
    Free Member

Yea, pretty much what I thought. Thanks for the tip avdave2, I'll ring Islabikes to see if they have any secondhand stock.

crazy-legs

Much as I hate to go against the grain here, Pinnacle bikes (from Evans Cycles) are amongst the lightest kids bikes around, always well specced for the money.

/waits for CFH to come along with his views of Evans…

epicsteve
    Free Member

My sons 20" Specialized seemed to be a fair bit lighter than the cheaper kids bikes, but still heavier than my bikes. It was bombproof though.

It was also fairly capable off road.

mcboo
    Free Member

….another Isla-family. Beinn 20 is the on you want, light and great spec. My 6yr old is a dude on his.

Ponty

Santa is looking to bring my 5yr old a new bike at Xmas, he's currently flying around on his Islabike Cnoc 16 and the 2yr old is doing the same on his Rothan (great idea, great bike)……

The obvious choice would be the Beinn 20, and I'm in no doubt it would be a great bike, but it just doesn't look the part? Maybe it just needs some knobblier tyres?

By comparison, the Giant Multispeed XtC JNR TEAM 20" I came across online really looks like a grown up bike, you can have it in rigid or with front forks….I've not seen one in the flesh, to pick up etc, but it looks nice.

Would anybody like to share some pictures of the Beinn 20, possibly with knobblier tyres to convince me, or experiences/comments about the Giant

Many thanks

taka
    Free Member

why dont people just build up 14" aliminuim frames with 24" wheels cheap forks n hydro brakes etc? and it could proberly be built cheaper than some kids bikes i built my little cousion a 14" brandx frame with dmr 24" wheels rockshox dart 3 forks tetro hydro brakes, 170mm cranks for around £240 depends on the size of the kid i guess 😉

GW
    Free Member

kg?
    why not lb?

Daughter's 20" Spesh hardtail = 21lb – it's not the standard build tho.. has a few old bits of mine on it and better tyres, her 16" Redline BMX is 14lb

Taka – because the reach on a 14" adult frame is too long for a child and it will ride shite with 24" wheels stuck on. do you actually think 170mm cranks are suitable for kiddie sized legs too?

epicsteve
    Free Member

I built my son a bike based on a 14" trials frame, 26" wheels and 170mm crankswhen he outgrew the 20" wheeled Hotrock he had previously. Much smaller than him (he's a tad over 5' now) and I don't think it would have worked well though. Using 26" wheels meant I could use bits I already had lying around so the only thing I actually had to buy for it was the frame (the cranks were originally meant to go on a bike for my wife).

He loves the bike as it's much lighter than any of his friends and has some good kit on it – XT crank, mechs and shifters, disk brakes etc.

matt_outandabout

why dont people just build up 14" aliminuim frames with 24" wheels

Top tube length and the fact that my two kids are on smaller wheels still, yet enjoy pedalling. My wife and eldest just did 6 miles after school today…

skyhigh_71

Another vote for Isla bikes. We have owned 4 so far. Light, strong,correctly sized & retain value like nothing else!

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

My 4 year old has had 2 Isla bikes so far. Can't really fault them at all. Superb bikes for learning on.

tinribz
    Free Member

Islabikes Beinn 20in – 9.9Kg / 22Lbs – http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/bikes/kids/product/beinn-20in-9631

24" Raleigh Awesome from LBS 14.5kgs – 32lbs 😯

Islabikes Beinn 26 Small (09) Rigid? – 11kgs / 24lbs http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/bikes/kids/product/beinn-26-small-09-32871

26" 10 year old girls from bits lying around in the garage inc 1990s dual air SIDs, womens 14.5" Schwinn from flea bay, new Deore drive train, grips / bits n bobs all for under 150 GBP – 11.5kgs / 25lbs

Crell
    Free Member

Redline flite junior – ~14.7 lbs 🙂 They're really nicely built and specced.

Spec Hotrock – too heavy

170 cranks are too long – more like 155-160 for a 7 year old

GW
    Free Member

hotrocks aren't heavy at all for what they are. (some of the parts are tho) also but bear in mind the Redline is more than twice the price with no gears or suspension.

DezB
    Free Member

Redline flite junior – ~14.7 lbs They're really nicely built and specced.

Jeez! It should be "nicely built" for nearly £500! £500 for something they'll just grow out of. Blimey there's some loaded parents around!

http://www.tritoncycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m10b133s7p4573&rs=gb

Crell
    Free Member

hotrocks aren't heavy at all for what they are. (some of the parts are tho) also but bear in mind the Redline is more than twice the price with no gears or suspension.

I always saw a bike as the sum of its parts. It would be much better without the sus but I imagine it would loose some of its appeal.

Jeez! It should be "nicely built" for nearly £500! £500 for something they'll just grow out of. Blimey there's some loaded parents around!

They do grow out of them, then you sell them on. I will get back pretty much what I paid for it. If I compare the engineering on the redline to my more (retail) expensive Formula cruiser it shames it. There are a suprisingly high proportion of kids on £800-£1000+ retail bikes at BMX races – but it's certainly not a sport with what you'd associate an equivalent number of "loaded" parents. I guess some people have different priorities.

joolsburger
    Free Member

Isla bikes do hold value. Sold mine for 20 pounds less than retail after two years use it was a CNOC 14.

Ended up with a Ridgeback for his next two years (MX16) but as soon as he's big enough I'll go for a Cube. Isla's bikes are great but he decided he wanted a blue bike and there was no telling him!!!

Tim
    Free Member

Isla seem great – enquired about a s/h one for my nephew – but s/h they dont have THAT much stock (last time i asked) purely because the bikes are good, they get passed on to smaller siblings/other family members

tinsy
    Free Member

Had an old style 20" hotrock, a good bike but it was really heavy.

The isla will be lightest.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘can you weigh your kids bikes pls?’ is closed to new replies.