Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • Can you recommend a (UK) Waterfall
  • bentandbroken

I fancy seeing a waterfall this year, I don’t know why, but it seems like a good idea 😀

Ideally I am looking for something larger than head height and inland. As I live on the south coast (near Bournemouth) and can’t think of any local ones that means a weekend trip so it needs to be worth the effort/expense

I have seen a couple of nice ones in Wales and near Snake-Pass in the past, but I can’t remember any more details (names or locations). I’m quite happy to go back to either

Can you recommend any? Ideally in a nice part of the country suitable for a weekend away and also child/dog friendly. Photos would also be appreciated 🙂

TIA

ton

high force and cauldren snout. both impressive.

Ambrose

The Waterfall Walk, in the Brecon Beacons might well be just what you need. Loads of stuff to do, loads of accommodation available.

Top Tip, don’t swim in the Scwd Eira plunge pool. Knocked semi-conscious and found it very difficult to swim back to the surface. Not a lot of fun. 14 stitches at A+E wasn’t fun either.

Waterfall Country

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    redstripe
    Free Member

Ystradfellte in Brecon Beacons as above

Pieface

Pistyll Rhaeder in the Berwyn hills is very good, albeit a bit further.

Otherwise go to the Yorkshire Dales for Hardraw Force, Asygarth Falls, Gordale Scar and many others, maybe even Malham if you’re lucky!

scotroutes

Bit far for a weekend, but why not go straight to the top?

http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/ullapool/eas-a-chual-aluinn.shtml

oldmanmtb
    Free Member

High force is good for but fairly remote and you have to travel up Teesdale to get there (think Deliverance without the banjo – just joking Teesdale folk…. I know there are at least three surnames in the dale

Waderider
    Free Member

Eas a’ Chual Aluinn. Beats them all in a downpour and a lovely walk in also. Bothy close by.

senorj

I like whitewater dash- or dash falls ,round the back of Skiddaw.

gwaelod
    Free Member

As above – loads in Brecon Beacons/Pont Nedd Fechan area including some you can walk behind like Hen Rhyd

http://www.breconbeacons.org/top-three-places-waterfalls

fozzie
    Free Member
    allan23
    Free Member

Ingleton Waterfalls walk. Thornton Force is pretty impressive especially after it’s been a bit rainy.

http://www.ingletonwaterfallstrail.co.uk/

ferrals
    Free Member

Lots in the beacons, or Lydford gorge in Devon is pretty cool

CountZero

Cheers for the link to the waterfall country page, Ambrose, that’s somewhere I’ve been meaning to visit for ages, but I wasn’t really sure where everything is, that’s been a great help. About a two hour drive from me, ninety miles or so, so an early morning start to make the most of the day, I think. 😀

midlifecrashes

How about a small beach in Wales, with a gastropub and ice cream shop, and a waterfall tumbling over the cliff onto the rocks alongside the sand? Add porpoises in the bay, cliff walk along to another beach and pub, seals, porpoises and close to Cardigan for shops and it can be superb. Some dog restrictions in summer(one half of beach). Tresaith. We’ve been three times and stayed in the same cottage just above the sands, superb.

That said, if it’s just for the waterfalls, I love Ingleton walk and Cauldron Snout, despite the big dam round the corner.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Grey Mares Tail in Kinlochleven, then via ferrata up it (‘via ferrata’ is a verb for the purpose of this post).

martinhutch

High force is good for but fairly remote and you have to travel up Teesdale to get there (think Deliverance without the banjo – just joking Teesdale folk…. I know there are at least three surnames in the dale

And mine is one of them, you cheeky get. 😀

Weardale is banjo country, not Teesdale… 8)

As above, High Force is good, if you walk up the south bank from Bowlees you can have Low Force, High Force and Cauldron Snout in one afternoon…

kayak23

Lydford gorge is lovely. Pistyl Rhaeder is cool too. Went there the other week.

MaryHinge
    Free Member

Sgwd yr Eira in the Brecon Beacons. Do it as part of the waterfalls walk.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

It’s not as impressive as some of those already mentioned but if you happen to be in North Wales then Aber Falls is worth a visit. This image is probably after a fair bit of rain.

colournoise

Scale Force. Lakes.

tonyf1
    Free Member

St Nectan’s Kieve in Cornwall is worth a visit. Fantastic sandy beach at Bossinney Cove nearby has another waterfall and is great for swimming.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Devils bridge Wales? I’m sure it’s a waterfall. I was very impressed with the punch bowl (again I think that’s what it was called) too.

Dudie
    Free Member

Another vote for the Brecons waterfalls. Here’s a route I did a couple of years ago. Quite possibly one of my favourite walks – a lovely day out.

Route info with GPS data and pics

Pistyll Rhaeadr is also worth a visit and it’s easy to tack on a walk/ride over the Berwyns if you are that way inclined.

oldnpastit

In the tradition of ignoring the OPs original request….

Angel falls, Yosemite.

jekkyl

My toilet after 3 cans of Stella.

chrisdw
    Free Member

Couldron Snout on the Tees is pretty impressive. Its been done in a kayak too!

Have a look on the UK River Guidebook website. You can search by region. Look in the “very difficult / extreme” section Should give you some ideas. Obviously it only includes ones that can be kayaked. But its a good way of finding some of the more remote ones.

Go canyoning and abseil down one??

themilo
    Free Member

Sgwd yr Eira. Did this Saturday for the first time having moved down here 17 years ago. Thoroughly recommend. Doughnuts available at start of walk are to be highly recommended if slightly out of sync with general walking vibe.

Lots of different nationalities around which was great also.

Ambrose

The Brecon Beacons have a multitude of waterfalls. If you want a really fantastic day out with the kids how about a Gorge Walk up the Sychryd Gorge? Loads of providers out there but perhaps use Jeff Ridd from Mountain and Water.

http://www.mountainandwater.co.uk/

phiiiiil

On a whim we went to Devil’s Bridge yesterday; we don’t normally bother paying to see stuff like that but it was cheap enough that we did, and I’m glad we did because it was surprisingly good; a fairly big vertical drop, a lovely valley, steam trains chugging by and the craziest staircase I’ve ever been down. It helped that the sun had just come out after it had been chucking it down all morning… 🙂

Ambrose

The narrow gauge train from Aberystwyth up to Devil’s Bridge is one of life’s simple pleasures.

zokes
    Free Member

That Yosemite picture really needs a person in it for scale…

globalti
    Free Member

Any theme parks round your way? You’d save on petrol and motorway stress.

martinhutch

Couldron Snout on the Tees is pretty impressive. Its been done in a kayak too!

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7NYEAlpaq8[/video]

1:30 ish 😯 Not so much ‘kayaking’ as ‘falling down it’.

dantsw13

My summers as a kid were spent in a remote holiday cottage in the NY Moors. There’s a beautiful waterfall called Thomasen Foss, accessed from a small village Beck Hole, near Goathland.

This walk links Thomasen Foss and Mallyan Spout.

jimdubleyou

Many moons ago, I went canyoning somewhere near the Brecon Beacons. It was a lot of fun, if a little chilly.

Mat

Don’t go chasing waterfalls, just stick to the rivers and the lakes that you’re used to…

nedrapier

I didn’t understand the “chasing waterfalls” expression until I went to Utah and heard it there. Big cloud burst, you go off to the cliffs to see the waterfalls in the half and hour or so they’re running at full force before they run dry again.

If you want to go chasing waterfalls in the UK, you’ll be wanting Malham Cove. Bit of a long game that one, though.

Other than that, Hardraw Force is the one that came to my mind. It’s been in the mooovies, don’t you know?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Can you recommend a (UK) Waterfall’ is closed to new replies.