Viewing 39 posts - 41 through 79 (of 79 total)
  • can someone please explain to me…….
  • Gary_M
    Free Member

I'll bet there is and I bet on a roadie forum somewhere there's someone moaning about it right now

I bet there isn't.

foxyrider
    Free Member

mind you I don't get all P'd Off about it if they don't reciprocate.

Nor do I get pi$$ed off, its just a bit dissapointing really. I feel that MTB is quite a social sport on the whole.

finbar
    Free Member

"Cross dressing" is an expression i've heard re road cyclists riding mtbs.

odannyboy
    Free Member

the darkside is a comment that relates to star wars not cycling therefore in my eyes people should just see it for what it is.. a laugh and a bit of fun.
    not saying hello or reciprocating is rude tho wheather on any bike or not.

foxyrider
    Free Member

not saying hello or reciprocating is rude tho wheather on any bike or not.

Cheers ODB

DrDolittle
    Free Member

I think I remember reading that US roadies call mountainbikers "Freds", after Fred Flintstone.

foxyrider
    Free Member

I like Freds – thats cool 😉

hilldodger
    Free Member

why a lot of people seem to refer to riding road bikes as the 'darkside' ?

But do they ??
    never seen reference to that phrase for roadies outside of stw….

…..as for humorous names for 'mountain' bikers how about tractor boys, trench diggers, porkers, roofrackers, kitchen-sinkers, dung beetles, horse botherers, slime-monkeys or worstest of all 'mlehers'

😉

foxyrider
    Free Member

tractor boys, trench diggers, porkers, roofrackers, kitchen-sinkers, dung beetles, horse botherers, slime-monkeys or worstest of all 'mlehers'

[laughing]merhhh ha ha[/laughing]

bigyinn
    Free Member

I too find it rather sad that one branch of a sport doesnt acknowledge a friendly hello from another branch.
    Is it not nice when you are out walking or riding in the countryside to get a hello when you pass another soul enjoying our wonderful country?
    Not wonder the worlds going to hell in a handbasket when you cant even get a hello from another human being.
    Gary_m you could really do with easing up a bit on the grump-o-meter!

DezB
    Free Member

I can't help but wonder why the obvious roadies on here get so agressive about it.

zangolin
    Free Member

I from the "artificial lightside" being an indoor track rider some of the time.

I think "brownside" would be better for describing MTBing.

Modern mountain bikes are sometimes refered to as the "darkside" on retrobike.co.uk.

nickc

As per DezB

D0NK

Nor do I get pi$$ed off,

It wasn't a dig at you Foxy, just didn't want some of the grumpys thinking I have a hissy fit if someone doesn't wave at me 🙂

foxyrider
    Free Member

No offense taken D0NK – I got the flack for that earlier – Its like holding the door open for people – its just common decency and manner and just being just plain NICE – Do a lot of work for charity but don't like to talk about it 😉

Gary_M
    Free Member

hey foxyrider if your wife ever fancies a bit of rough then give me a shout. She must get sick of being around 'Mr Niceguy' at times.

foxyrider
    Free Member

No she likes me being nice – she would prefer me if I never swore, moaned or was angry. You can ask her if you like!

Are you having a bad monday Gary? Do you need to get things off your chest – try yoga or medetation!

Gary_M
    Free Member

You can ask her if you like!

I already have.

foxyrider
    Free Member

go for it if you think you have a chance – I have my own predictions on that one!

Gary_M
    Free Member

Been there, done it, never again. She kept asking me round for 'a bite to eat' when you were out. I refused on many occasions.

foxyrider
    Free Member

And that would be too gentlemanlly of you coz your a bit of rough – are you of the shaved leg brigade or do you keep your legs hairy?

BTW people of a certain intelligence have to go to a base level in order to argue a point? And they change their posts because they are rude 😉

BlackDog
    Free Member

I find the whole dark side thing a bit childish, when someone says it you just know they haven't really got a clue. Doesn't bother me though and I know they're not part of 'the scene'.

As for the waving thing, well each to their own. When I pass people I always turned round and say hello. Not sure if they reply as I'm usually long gone. Not fussed either way if they reply or not to be honest. Just because someone rides a bike doesn't mean I want to be pals with them.

Seems to me foxyrider that you are way to bothered about it, but you do appear overly fixated by the whole 'rudeness' thing. However you really need to sort out the 'your' and 'you're' thing. No excuse for poor grammar from one so polite.

Oh and I've had your wife too – I was no gent and she certainly didn't behave like a lady 😉

foxyrider
    Free Member

BlackDog = troll with a low IQ 😉

I find the whole dark side thing a bit childish

then

Oh and I've had your wife too – I was no gent and she certainly didn't behave like a lady

Hmm doesn't add up to me!

BlackDog
    Free Member

foxyrider = silly little man who can't think of decent comeback. Low IQ? I could buy and sell ya fella.

There was a smiley insterted after that 'wife' comment but it didn't show up. I was taking the piss, lighten up, chill out, relax ffs.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Low IQ? I could buy and sell ya fella.

My dad could be your dad up . Blimey get out of the cot and grow up dude sorry troll. Who really give a rats ar%^ wether you could 'buy and sell' me.

I am perfectly calm here at in my office – just think you need to stop being a child and argue your case properly without silly little digs and childish comments 😯

And yes I do have a sense of humour but obviously not the same as yours 🙂

PJ266
    Free Member

LOL@the last few posts.

On the topic of the darkside thing, its called banter. Lighten the **** up.

foxyrider
    Free Member

On the topic of the darkside thing, its called banter. Lighten the **** up.

I agree here here (no I'm not a MP so don't have a go at me about that).

Oh blimey looked at the original topic and we have gone way off topic oops. hugs to my fellow argumentees 😉

BigDummy
    Free Member

foxyrider: all the trollic tenacity of RudeBoy or TJ, but not as amusing. 😉

foxyrider
    Free Member

oh biach BigDummy. I did try but failed….. Nevermind I'll read more RudeBoy and TJ posts and learn 😉

BlackDog
    Free Member

Lol at foxyrider

My dad could be your dad – are you suggesting we are ‘brothers from another mother’?

argue your case properly without silly little digs and childish comments – amidst a string of name calling.

I am perfectly calm here at in my office Yeh, for sure fella.

Oh the irony.

foxyrider
    Free Member

I was actually being ironic . Honest – you're great BlackDog.

hmmm…. my heart rate never got about 60 bpm – I had some fava beans and a glass of chianti – wanna come over BlackDog!

DingDing: Round two 😉

BlackDog
    Free Member

Oh dear.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Oh dear.

Is that your attemp at a put down?

BlackDog
    Free Member

No, not at all.

foxyrider
    Free Member

OK – you getting bored BlackDog?

————————————————

Answering the original post I think its just a little joke at the expense of road cyclists but not one that is intended cause offense. 😀

Oh and just realised the new preview thingy below – nifty that!

BTW PeterPoddy – just havin a laugh really – bit of friendly heated banter!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Wow.

I really can't believe people are getting so wound up about this. It's a bluddy nickname. A bit of fun. In a way it's a compliment, if you think about it.
    Have some of you nothing better to get wound up about?

And the same term is used by another group to describe one of their factions, too. And it's a lot nicer than the nicknames skiers have for snowboarders and visa-versa, too!

Chill dudes.
    8)

kennyp
    Free Member

why a lot of people seem to refer to riding road bikes as the 'darkside' ?

Because they are pillocks.

Another possibility is that it's harmless fun maybe? Personally, although mountain biking's my main thing, I've also got a road bike that I love riding. I still refer to it as the darkside though. It's just a laugh, nothing to get too bothered about.

DezB
    Free Member

I've never called it the Darkside.
    But from now on I shall refer to it as the Uptight Side.

dasnut
    Free Member

roadside

mountainside

I know where I'd rather be….. 🙂

Viewing 39 posts - 41 through 79 (of 79 total)

The topic ‘can someone please explain to me…….’ is closed to new replies.