Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 79 total)
  • can someone please explain to me…….
  • snakester
    Free Member

why a lot of people seem to refer to riding road bikes as the 'darkside' ?

DezB
    Free Member

Because Singletrack is a mountainbike magazine?

jimmy

join us…

foxyrider
    Free Member

There is, depending on who you speak to a slight rift between road biking and mountain biking. Two very different disciplines However a lot of road riders mountain bike and many mountain bikers road ride esp in winter. I do find however I say helloe to MTB'rs and get a suitable responce but prob more often with road riders esp ones on their won I get ignored (not always mind you!). No thats not a trolling comment 😉

DezB
    Free Member

It's not really an English comment either, is it? 😉

nickc

Even on the road bike I get ignored by other roadies…There must be some sort of masonic thing that I don't know about… 😀

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Because they are pillocks.

HTH

foxyrider
    Free Member

I think MTB'rs don't really class themselves as such – I certainly class myself as a cyclist who like mountain biking the best but don't mind changing the record by doing a bit of roadying now and again. I feel roadies rarely venture into MTB so don't see it from the otherside?

PJ266
    Free Member

Do you have a peak on your helmet nickc? might be the problem.

(Dont tell anyone, but i noticed Lance had a peak on his helmet the other day in the tour :O Keep it on the down low)

finbar
    Free Member

Because there's a lot of catchphrase "humour" fans on here?

BigDummy
    Free Member

I feel roadies rarely venture into MTB

This is bobbins. Kingtut seconded. 🙂

KINGTUT
    Free Member

I feel roadies rarely venture into MTB

pfftt..

snakester
    Free Member

I'm 40 and been riding bikes most of my life. I started on road bikes and then mountain bikes in the late 80's. I now ride road, mountain bikes and cross bikes. I say hello or wave to everyone I see riding regardless of what they are on, I just enjoy riding and don't get this labeling thing?!

Gary_M
    Free Member

a lot of people seem to refer to riding road bikes as the 'darkside' ?

But they are idiots who are unable to think for themselves, they see other people saying 'darkside' so they feel the need to do it too as they are desperate to conform.

I couldn't give a toss who says hello and who doesn't. All this 'I get ignored' stuff is pathetic – do you need people to say hellow to you all the time? Speeds are higher on the road and passing another rider coming the other way it's usually pretty hard to hear a hello – look for a slight raising of the hand or a nod in your direction if you really feel a desperate need to belong.

njee20
    Free Member

KINGTUT – Member

Because they are pillocks.

HTH

Spot on.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Kingtut thirded! Nimrods!

Olly
    Free Member

they take themselves very seriously, but then again, i actually thing EVERY sport takes itself seriously in comparison to MTBing…

its not so much that they are the dark side, but we are the enlightened ones who dont get caught up in "politics"

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

because it is an unspeakable perversion, leading one to suppose deep evil within its protagonists :o)

Gary_M
    Free Member

its not so much that they are the dark side, but we are the enlightened ones who dont get caught up in "politics"

utter pish and a sweeping generalisation. Mountain bikers do dress like tramps when they ride though.

foxyrider
    Free Member

I couldn't give a toss who says hello and who doesn't.

Its just what we do in the country! I must say when I lived in various cities in the past people are not that willing to make eye contact etc… esp london. We say hello to our fellow humans – its called being sociable. It feels good when you acknowledge peoples presence – don't you feel you want to say hello or "morning"?

Speeds are higher on the road and passing another rider coming the other way it's usually pretty hard to hear a hello

Absolute rubbish IMO – a smile, lip reading, wave – all the same – acknowledgement – my local roadie club usually say hello to me – its the serious single rider who see's you but blanks you – Yes I do find that rude I have to say – rightly or wrongly! 🙂

MrSalmon
    Free Member

(Dont tell anyone, but i noticed Lance had a peak on his helmet the other day in the tour :O Keep it on the down low)

Did he? I thought so but then decided it was his glasses stuck on the front of his lid.

If he did that obviously explains why he hasn't won the tour already.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Absolute rubbish IMO

Really, perhaps you just ride very slowly. But 2 riders passing at 20mph makes it quite difficult to hear each other unless you shout. Now that would be desperate for recognition.

don't you feel you want to say hello or "morning"?

But I couldn't care less if someone reciprocates. Do you say hello to everyone you walk past in the street?

foxyrider
    Free Member

But I couldn't care less if someone reciprocates.

Glad I don't see you out on a ride then ya misserable wotsit! 😯

OK maybe you don't hear every word but its a gesture like noding, smiling – you know your out having a fun ride (HAVING FUN) and I smile at someone as I am having a GOOD TIME! OK you don't have to but have you ever tried smiling at soemone whilst riding on! 😉

Gary_M
    Free Member

Glad I don't see you out on a ride then ya misserable wotsit!

Eh, I'm mesirable because I don't care if someone says hello back or not? How do you work that one out, do you know what 'reciprocates' means?

nuke

Do roadies refer to going mountain biking as the darkside I wonder?

Don't have a problem with people calling it the 'darkside'. Just like a silly nickname…don't see that its ever taken that seriously: a bit of banter between slightly different groups.

Gary_M
    Free Member

'Do roadies refer to going mountain biking as the darkside I wonder?'

No, it's just another form of cycling, it's not a big deal.

nuke

No.

So is there a roadie nickname for mountain biking?

samuri
    Free Member

dogging

Gary_M
    Free Member

'So is there a roadie nickname for mountain biking?'

Dunno, but if there is it would be used by the same childish types that call road riding the 'darkside'.

It's all cycling.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Do you say hello, or morning to people. I guess from your posts you do. So if you don't care why say hello? Maybe I am missing the point Gary_M.

I can see you are not bothered about anyone saying hello back but where I live its just a way of life when you are out walking, riding etc – So if people don't do it I;m taken aback at little. Perhaps in other areas people arn't so bothered about talking to other people etc….

foxyrider
    Free Member

Bike Radar link – http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/humour-tips-for-becoming-a-roadie-14451

Humour: Tips for becoming a roadie! Just passing it on – ……running away….. 🙂

uplink
    Free Member

Armstrong nearly always wears a peak if it's raining

Gary_M
    Free Member

Do you say hello, or morning to people

Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. Depends on a lot of things, traffic conditions, speed, weather, etc. I don't have a rule though and expect everyone else to follow it and consider them rude if they don't.

nuke

Dunno, but if there is it would be used by the same childish types that call road riding the 'darkside'.

It's all cycling.

As childish as you may consider it having some types calling it darkside or whatever, I find others can take it all to seriously…its just a bit of fun: no harm done.

PJ266
    Free Member

Did he? I thought so but then decided it was his glasses stuck on the front of his lid.

He sure did, on that rainy stage. He has had his glasses on the front of his helmet though (yesterday i think)

Peak on a road bike?!?! has he no shame? 😉

Gary_M
    Free Member

No harm at all. If you want to be immature and have a silly nickname for things then I ain't bothered. It does make you sound a bit of an idiot though amongst 'serious' cyclists. I can imagine those that say it also call their bike a 'steed'.

jond
    Free Member

>dogging

Well, it often involves getting out of yer clothes in carparks on the edge of woodlane, so I guess there's some similarity 😉

No-one's mentioned the *other* darkside…recumbents !

Must say I always thought the term was tongue in cheek…dunno why anyone takes offence to it…equally some folks on one of the (US-centric) recumbent forums seem to think 'roadie' is a perjorative….

foxyrider
    Free Member

Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. Depends on a lot of things, traffic conditions, speed, weather, etc. I don't have a rule though and expect everyone else to follow it and consider them rude if they don't.

I don't expect people to folow my rule I am just disapointed when people don't respond. Perhaps I am just happy and sociable when I ride and want to share that with others. No I don't want to be everyones friend and I am not knowingly mentally aflicted – just my opinion.

your entitled you your opinions!

utter pish and a sweeping generalisation. Mountain bikers do dress like tramps when they ride though.

make you sound a bit of an idiot though amongst 'serious' cyclists

Blimey you are definately serious – I think I must of passed you on a road ride – you were the serious one who ignored me 😉

D0NK

So is there a roadie nickname for mountain biking?

I'll bet there is and I bet on a roadie forum somewhere there's someone moaning about it right now. It's just a nickname, don't worry about it.

Dunno what the problem is with expecting a reciprocated hello if "it's all cycling". Yes I say hi/wave if I see another cyclist, no I don't wave hello to everyone in the street but if I'm out in the countryside I tend to greet anyone I meet walker/biker/horsey. If you're in a minority/gang/clique/niche it's nice to say hi, and in the street we are certainly a minority. None bikeys at work don't get it either "I don't wave to all the other drivers".

mind you I don't get all P'd Off about it if they don't reciprocate.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

f you want to be immature and have a silly nickname for things then I ain't bothered.

might there not be other reasons ? Like the natural urge to make fun out of everyone?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 79 total)

The topic ‘can someone please explain to me…….’ is closed to new replies.