Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Can you still buy a DAB+ radio in the UK?
  • RustySpanner

Need a new radio for the kitchen/camping/holidays.

All the Pure & Roberts UK models now only come equiped to receive DAB only, apparantly to avoid paying DAB+ licence fees.

I believe the DAB only models can be unlocked to receive DAB+, odd if they used a different chipset, but I doubt the manufacturers would make that available unless DAB+ was adopted in the UK.

Anyone know of a DAB+ portable I can still buy in the UK?
    I’m tempted to order from abroad, but not sure about guarantees etc.

Ta.

allthepies
    Free Member

clicky

Google is showing loads of portable DAB+ radios for sale in UK

RustySpanner

Cheers.

Why didn’t I think of that?
    😳

A couple of decent Sonys and Panasonics there, thanks.

scaredypants

german or french amazon sites ?

RustySpanner

I’ll have a look, ta.
    I’ll check the price of UK power adaptors too, can’t be that bad.

I’ve noticed the Pure & Roberts internet radios also come with DAB+, so another (expensive) option there.

CountZero

All the Pure & Roberts UK models now only come equiped to receive DAB only, apparantly to avoid paying DAB+ licence fees.

I believe the DAB only models can be unlocked to receive DAB+, odd if they used a different chipset, but I doubt the manufacturers would make that available unless DAB+ was adopted in the UK.
    Why knobble their ability to sell their radios to European markets that use DAB+?

RustySpanner

The Pure and Roberts models sold outside the UK are DAB and DAB+ compatable, CZ.
    Those sold in the UK are DAB only.

Internet radios seem have both formats.
    The Pure One Flow looks good at the mo.

CountZero

DAB/DAB+ chips were introduced in 2009, the lack of DAB+ in the UK is down to the government and the radio industry;
    From Wiki:

The United Kingdom Government has ruled out any transition from DAB to DAB+ for the foreseeable future, a decision backed by the radio industry and the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.[51] The chief executive of the DRDB, Tony Moretta, mirrored the calls by the radio industry and experts to not adopt DAB+ in the UK. In an interview with the TechRadar website in 2009, he stated that DAB+ was a “red herring” and may not be introduced in the UK for the foreseeable future due to the growing number of digital radio sets currently being sold and used in the future which cannot decode HE-AAC and therefore access DAB+ stations. Moretta also cited greater expense for broadcasters and overall satisfaction with the current audio quality of DAB stations[52] of which a move to DAB+ would only benefit a small number of audiophiles as other reasons.[53][54] Independent radio analyst Grant Goddard also stated that there was an economic decision not to adopt DAB+ for both the industry and consumers.[51]

The 4Digital Group, led by Channel 4, who were originally awarded the licence to operate the new national DAB multiplex, had planned to launch a podcast service using the DAB+ format.[55]

Despite opposition aired to the Government regarding the introduction of DAB+ in the United Kingdom by the industry and experts, Ofcom began testing DAB+ on the Brighton Experimental ensemble in January 2013 for a period of one month.[56] The Department of Culture, Media and Sport published minimum specifications for digital radio receivers in the UK in February 2013 which states that a receiver sold in the UK must be capable of decoding a DAB+ stream of up to 144 capacity units[nb 3].[57]

In March 2014, the BBC announced that it would undertake a trial of DAB+ in the UK later in the year.[58]

On September 1, 2014, Folder Media began a four month trial of DAB+ on the North East Wales and West Cheshire ensemble.[59]

RustySpanner

Yeah, I know, but until very recently the sets you could buy in the UK could receive DAB and DAB+.
    The ability to receive DAB+ has now been removed from many sets, even though the chipset remains the same.

It would appear that this is down to the manufacturers being unwilling to pay separate DAB+ licencing fees.

Which is a shame, because I’d like to use my radio abroad!

scaredypants

I just wish they’d put up enough transmitters so that at least the motorway network and major towns were properly covered with plain DAB – that poppy, squeaky shit does my head in and I imagine it would be just as irritating in higher definition

vqjames
    Free Member

In the UK there are currently no broadcast in DAB+ it is all in standard DAB, however, any good manufacturer of Digital Radio’s will provide reception for DAB, DAB+ and FM.

This 3 broadcast reception forms the basis for a “Digital Tick” standard which you will see increasingly as the UK moves towards digital switch over (although that is many years away)

In terms of coverage and the stations you might be able to pick up at home, you can use the Digital Radio UK postcode checker – http://www.getdigitalradio.com/

We know all of this because we make design, engineer and manufacture digital radios, feel free to check out our range and hopefully become a loyal “VQ-er” at http://www.viewquest.co.uk

If you need any more help just send a message to marketing@viewquest.co.uk – we’re always happy to help!

VQ

ohnohesback
    Free Member

DAB is itself a ‘red herring’ and a technological cul-de-sac, given the increasing ubiquity of 3/4g/Wi-Fi.

Anyway; can’t you do without radio for your holiday, or use ye olde world bande radio?

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

I just wish they’d put up enough transmitters so that at least the motorway network and major towns were properly covered with plain DAB – that poppy, squeaky shit does my head in and I imagine it would be just as irritating in higher definition

What are you using as a receiver/aerial? We’ve DAB in our Caddy with this £22 aerial stuck on the outside of the windscreen and reception was rock solid and continuous from Brixton the north of the Scottish border 4 years ago (and the network should have got better since then).

Heading to the south west theres about a 500m of the A303 where it dies (Glastonbury traffic jam) but my experience is that it is generally solid beyond where I’d have either FM or mobile reception. there’s a point it goes in Cumbria or the Welsh hills but generally great.

If you’re using a piece of wire or something stuck to the inside of the windscreen you might have more problems.

Cougar

I was thinking similar.

First DAB I had was factory-fitted in a Vectra, and it was gash. I spent more time re-tuning and seeking for stations / MUXes than I did actually listening to the hateful thing. Fast forward a few years, I had another FF DAB in a Mondeo and it was superb. Very, very rarely dropped out and when it did it was because I was in a full-on radio blackspot like that bit of the M6 surrounded by hills when you’re on your way up to That Scotland.

I expect that the analogue switch-off may well have helped, but I’m reasonably sure that not all DAB receivers / aerials are created equal.

RustySpanner

Thanks for all the responses.

After a bit of looking around I went for a Pure, the Pop Maxi.

All the internet and Blutooth models are listed by Pure and Roberts on their sites as DAB+ compatable, whilst the basic (non internet/blutooth) models aren’t.
    In reality, all the basic Roberts models I looked at in local shops proudly displayed their DAB+ compatability on the box!

I’ve decided against an internet portable because of the current compatability issues with the BBC and current hardware, which is a right pain in the arse and deserves a thread of it’s own – more info here.

I picked the Pure on it’s spec, sound quality and the ability to function as a Blutooth speaker.

I initally fancied a Roberts Revival, but not at £200 for the Blutooth model.
    😐
    I do like them though – I’ve got an old (slightly bigger) R550 that sounds great, but the smaller, current Revivals don’t sound quite as good to me.

CountZero

ohnohesback – Member
    DAB is itself a ‘red herring’ and a technological cul-de-sac, given the increasing ubiquity of 3/4g/Wi-Fi.

Anyway; can’t you do without radio for your holiday, or use ye olde world bande radio?
    What increasing ubiquity of 3/4G/wifi? Last time I was on holiday in South Devon, I had no phone signal at all, no wifi, I could only use my iPod, or listen to 6Music, which is what I did.
    At work, we are allowed radios, but Internet radio, iPods, mobile phones, in fact any portable music player are forbidden, at least in my work area, for security reasons.
    I would guess there are many, many people without access to radio via on-line means, who wish to listen to digital stations.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Can you still buy a DAB+ radio in the UK?’ is closed to new replies.