Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Buying a cheap house in Europe for biking holidays?
  • nickdavies

OK, here goes. Imagine you have a bit of cash to one side and you start looking at cheap houses abroad.
    I’m not talking posh ski resorts, but maybe somewhere untouched by mad tourist prices (i.e. all of the french/italian alps/most of europe) but still with good access for a week away on MTB or the road bike, and maybe bit of that ‘cultural’ stuff. Ideally somewhere you can fly to for a weekend or drive down to in say a day for a longer trip.

Where would you look? Rental yield would be a bonus but then initial price goes way up I seem to find.

Balls, sorry wrong forum…

Stoner
    Free Member

id go for Aude en pyrenees, pays de sault.

Mainly because its an area I know fairly well, the riding is more XC orientated although there are some bike parks around and there’s also skiing in winter.

TheBrick
    Free Member

North of Spain is cheap and hilly. Air ports I don’t know but ferries make it easy to get to with a car.

lucien

Grenoble, Lyon, Chambery area – tbh, with that sort of cash I’d buy a big motorhome instead…..

cookeaa

Various western European options perhaps? Spain, Portugal, Greece maybe countries with the climate and terrain but perhaps not the strongest economic situation at present to help keep prices down.

Eastern Europe perhaps? Romania, Poland, Bulgaria maybe the Czech republic? Of course you would need to go spend some time riding in these countries just to be sure you weren’t buying into the wrong country, especially as most of the holidays you are going on for the next few years are going to be in the same place…

iffoverload
    Free Member

Valencia, great weather all year, 4 hrs drive to the south/north spain , great riding all around.

Fat-boy-fat

Madeira. Cracking biking there and great climate.

haggis1978

Im just back from Tenerife where there’s loads of good riding. I was told if you want cheap property get onto the banks websites as they have lots of repossessed homes for sale cheap as chips. Should apply to mainland Spain as well I would say if you don’t fancy the Canaries.

br
    Free Member

Why one home in one place when you could just visit different places on each trip, by renting. Can’t imagine that the overall cost would be any different (over, say 10 years) – especially with a need to understand property tax (purchase, sale and annual).

mudshark
    Free Member

I love the idea of buying a holiday place but have decided there’s no point in getting one until I am able to spend at least a few months there each year – so probably when I retire 🙁 . Reckon somewhere close enough to drive to would be ideal and currently think the Pyrenees is the ideal spot – or maybe towards Biarritz to be closer to the sea. Prices seem cheap – compared to here that is.

toys19
    Free Member

Just been to Pila/Aosta, awesome trails, the resort is a bit run down, it looked cheap..

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Buying a cheap house in Europe for biking holidays?’ is closed to new replies.