Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Builders – What sand to use for filling patio gaps?
  • prezet
    Free Member

We’ve got a patio at the back of the house, the slabs are set onto a cement base, so it’s all very sturdy. But in a few places there are small gaps between the slabs and edging which over time weeds start to take shallow root in. Whats the best thing to fill the gaps with?

I tried a general sand I bought from B&Q last year but in some places it seems to have stained the slabs – or is it worth not bothering and just powerhose it a few times a year?

johndoh
    Free Member

Clean it out and point it up properly?

sarawak
    Free Member

Depends on the size of the gaps. For small gaps fill with kiln dried sand. For large gaps clean out and point using 3:1 mix.
    Powerhosing will just throw everything out of the gaps.

thebees
    Free Member

There is a product for just this purpose. A type of sand that you brush into the gaps and then it sets when it gets damp. I did my parents patio with it a few years ago and it works and lasted well. Comes in a big tub from builders merchants etc.

thebees
    Free Member

Sika pave fix from Screwfix is one brand although there are others. Don’t confuse it with regular kiln dried which won’t set like these products.

prezet
    Free Member

OK, so they’re not big gaps, which would you suggest?

wwaswas

whoever you should have put under it but sliced *really* thin?

failing that – the brush in stuff that sets when it gets wet – it’s basically postcrete for patios.

sarawak
    Free Member

For those cracks I’d use kiln dried, after giving it a good clean and scrub.
    The stuff that sets will stuggle to give long term seal in those narrow cracks. Plus it is seriously expensive, and once you open the container you have to use it all or throw it away: no saving some to go over it again next year!

To be perfectly honest those cracks wouldn’t worry me at all. They are small and comparatively insignificant. We live close to the coast and cracks that size always fill in naturally with wind blown sand. You might find that general dust does the same where you are.

avdave2

To be perfectly honest those cracks wouldn’t worry me at all.

Whereas they’ll leave me unable to sleep for weeks! Who laid that? The fact that they laid it means they can’t be under it where they belong. That intersection of 4 slabs is horrible, why do people not realise that it won’t work if you try and have virtually no gap so that the tiniest variation stands out a mile. Whatever you put in will be washed away by the tears of shame that should be issuing from the eyes of it’s creator. `:-)

Personally I usually just mix dry sand and cement and brush that in.

ransos
    Free Member

Personally I usually just mix dry sand and cement and brush that in

I tried that but it didn’t last very long.

redmex
    Free Member

Not nice at all both lines running off, someone good with a Stihl saw and a straight piece of thin ply as a straight edge, with joints so bad there possibly might be other problems with the patio so wouldn’t buy expensive joint fill

cromolyolly
    Free Member

Polymeric jointing sand is the stuff you want. Although it is a relatively coarse sand with polymers added. Not sure how well you’ll get it into the smaller gaps in that photo. A good building merchant could advise you on that.

bearnecessities

I needed to do this.

somouk
    Free Member

B and Q do some stuff that goes hard when it rains or you get it wet.

I have massive gaps between the slabs in my patio and it’s been great stuff.

matt_outandabout

😆

kayak23

😂

I think the whole lot wants taking up again and relaying. It’s the only option with such terminal alignment issues.

Sandwich

That  first join is  offensive. Needs a bike in the shot to distract us!

cromolyolly
    Free Member

A type of sand that you brush into the gaps and then it sets when it gets damp.

B and Q do some stuff that goes hard when it rains or you get it wet.

That’s how polymeric sand works. They might be selling under a different name (super duper patio nuclear proof crack filler compound TM) but it’ll be the same stuff. Don’t pay more for an impressive name.

avdave2

Thank you bearnecessities, I printed off a copy of your work and clutching in my hand was able to sleep undisturbed all night.`:-)

DickBarton

Lime?

stumpy01

DickBarton Member

Lime?

Really thinly sliced? Or squeezed?

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Builders – What sand to use for filling patio gaps?’ is closed to new replies.