Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Build help. XC Racy build.
  • letmetalktomark

Part of the “plan” for the year (not a resolution 😉 ) is to give racing a try.

Now I know that for middle of the pack placings ( I wish ) many could “ride what they brang”

This isn’t in the spirit of n+1. I’m ignoring I could re purpose my Lefty equipped Skookum.

So…..

Buy off the peg, spec myself, carbon?

I must admit I am a materials Luddite so am expecting no steel suggestions but they are welcome 😆

My wants are:

➡ 29er
    ➡ Lefty compatible so 44mm HT or a short HT.
    ➡ Hard tail
    ➡ sub 24lbs

Pics of your builds always welcome.

Cheers all.

M

Rorschach
    Free Member

You can get ’13 Cannondale Flash 29 Carbon 2’s for £2300ish instead of £3500 if you know where to look 😉
    Hi-mod frame,Stans wheels,carbon crank/post/bars.
    Medium,Large and Extra large in stock (but be quick)

eat_more_cheese
    Free Member

Don’t have to look too hard, there’s one for 2149 on 1st google search. Bargain! 🙂

Rorschach
    Free Member

Yeah…..but you have to deal with wheelies 🙁

parkesie
    Free Member

Cannondale f29 by Parkesiemtb, on Flickr.

Upgrade the rear wheel casset and cranks and your down to 23lb for less than £1800

vdubber67
    Free Member

I’ve seen a Planet X Dirty Harry run with a lefty. Cheap, light-ish, 29…great bikes

letmetalktomark

Parksie is that a 3?

Must say I have looked at the F29 1 😕

Not sure I could stretch to the carbon frame as a full bike 🙁

parkesie
    Free Member

A 2013 f29 2 alloy. Ive put hope pro2 evo crest rear wheel with a xt casset and cranks.

This one

Rorschach
    Free Member

What size are you?
    They’ve got Al2’s (were £1.8k) and Al1’s(were £2k) in large and extra large left.
    They’d be circa £1200 and £1400…(ish)

letmetalktomark

@ rorschach – being dim but where?

letmetalktomark

I would be in XL territory.

mboy
    Free Member

Just to be different… I’m also going to recommend a Cannondale F29 alloy HT. Not worth the extra expense for the slight weight saving for the carbon version IMO, and the money you’ll save will be better spent elsewhere.

I was having the same quandary about 6 months ago, and very nearly bought one. The only reason I didn’t was I actually realised for the small amount of racing I do, owning something a couple of lb’s heavier but more “trail friendly” (for lack of a better term) would be a wiser move. I don’t regret my decision, but if I was going to do a bit more racing, I’d buy an alloy F29 and upgrade the wheels and go racing.

letmetalktomark

Mboy – what did you settle on?

parkesie
    Free Member

Im 6’3 and mines a large xl fitted i but the large felt better to me.

Rorschach
    Free Member

I might have access to the importers b2b site 😉
    I won’t astroturf on here but my e-mither is in my profile if you’re interested.

J273
    Free Member

So what’s the weight difference between the alloy and carbon?

I’ve been running a flash alloy for a while now and love it …Only the wheels and seat post remain of the original bike.

Would recommend one very quick bike and love the lefty 🙂

mboy
    Free Member

Went for one of the Kona Kahuna Deluxes that we’re going for silly money on CRC in the summer, knowing that I’d just use the frame and forks and upgrade the rest. Bought it as a bit of an inexpensive stop gap bike, but I’ve actually grown very fond of it. Only the frame, fork, headset and stem are original now. Borrowed a set of 1600g BOR rimmed wheels off a mate to do 24/12 solo on which helped a lot (as did fast/light tyres run tubeless), most of the time it’s got slightly beefier wheels on (though still a lot lighter than OEM), 2.3″ tyres and a Reverb fitted. But it was down to under 26lb for “racing” on.

Obviously I use the term racing quite loosely though, as I’m not that quick. I did manage a respectable 14th out of 60 odd in 12hr solo at 24/12 and 8th (out of nearly 100) in category at the Forest of Dean Enduro, but then these are amateur events so the fast boys don’t even show up! If I thought I could be remotely competitive, something like the F29 would be top of my short list.

mboy
    Free Member

Seem to remember it was about 250g weight difference from Alloy to Carbon F29. Not huge anyway. Difficult to justify the expense when lighter wheels, tyres and an XT cassette would set you back maybe £400 but save 500g in rotating weight.

Bolt

http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/m1b0s155p5204/CANNONDALE-F29-1-%28FLASH-ALLOY%29-2013

Alloy is a bargin with 6 months interest free to boot

Bolt

parkesie
    Free Member

If i could think of a practical reason to buy a 2nd of the same bike them pauls prices are rather good.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Build help. XC Racy build.’ is closed to new replies.