Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • buckled Trye??
  • Zukemonster
    Free Member

Ok had a bit of an “off” yesterday, but nothing too serious, however noticed that my back wheel was rather bannana shaped afterwards. Had a closer look and the wheel is still straight and true, but the tyre has a huge wobble in it (very noticeable whilst riding) Am really confused as to how this might have happened… Any ideas

It might be it is not connected to the “off” I had just swapped it to tubeless the day before, and this was the first tubeless ride on it. the wobble might have been there before, just i didnt really notice until I came off (which was at the start of the ride)

Was the tube holding it straight before???

clueless here

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

The bead is not seated properly. Part of the edge of the tyre is still in the centre well of the rim rather than being pushed out to the edge.

Blow it up harder and it should pop into place.

sockpuppet

or let it down a bit, give it a bitwobble, then re-inflate – achieves the same thing in practice

Zukemonster
    Free Member

Yes I thought it might be that, but i did try “squiging” the beads to reseat them, and looking to see if it was sitting unevenly, to no avail.

Anyhow wanted to have a ride tonight so just put a different tyre and tube on and went and had fun in tilgate instead. Getting bored of all the faffing involved with going tubeless at the moment

YoungDaveriley
    Free Member

Tubeless is no problem,when done correctly.
    Use Stans stuff,it’s the best.
    Some tyres go on easier than others. If apply a soapy solution on the beads before inflating. Then give it a good blast of air to seat the tyre correctly. Shake the wheel about to spread the solution. Go for a ride ASAP.(this really helps)
    I’ve done quite a few now for myself and mates. The last one that I did ,was probably the best so far. Quick,easy and didn’t lose any air over night.

sockpuppet
    Garry_Lager

If a tyre is seated, but uneven (ie doesn’t look perfectly round) then soapy water will sort it out. It’s normally something I’ve seen on new rims with small road tyres, which can be really grippy on the rubber. Can’t see how a crash could cause it but you could give it a try.

Zukemonster
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice, I will give it another go tomorrow. I have my tubeless tyre hanging up with the gloop still in it (it doesnt go off in the air does it?? )

Garry, I did try loooads of soapy water, I was wondering if the rim strip was not in straight or something (its the stans system) but it looked good before I took it off.

Young Dave, no problem at all getting the tyres on, and had them pumped up without leaks quite easily…(well apart from an annoying hole that appeared in the sidewall and was not sealing fast… so I ended up sticking a small patch on it, on the inside))

Unfortunately my compressor is a bit noisy otherwise I would give it a go now (my neighbours would hate me…)

kempfab
    Free Member

I had a similar problem after I ran out of talent last year, and caught rear wheel on an edge.

No amount of inflating would sort wobble, beads in fine, some internal damage to the tyre is all I could put it down to.

Conti Mountain Kings for ref

Hopefully lubed beads will sort yours tho.

Zukemonster
    Free Member

ahh this is ringing true, I was on Conti Mountain Kings too

possibly the flimsiest tyres in the world… ever (imho)

anyhow new tyres coming next week 😉

kempfab
    Free Member

Fortunately, I was “borrowing” mine…

I think the carcuss failed, no visual evidence tho.

I thought I was imagining it too!

YoungDaveriley
    Free Member

zuke,the solution should be ok ,left in the tyre.
    I demoed an Orange with Mountain Kings fitted a few weeks back. Liked the bike,didn’t like the tyres.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘buckled Trye??’ is closed to new replies.