Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • BT Wifi hub issues
  • bigdaddy

Hi all,

Been have some issues with our BT hub (well BT generally as well!). It has been intermittent, and a bit rubb and made the point, and they told me that because there were up t0 5 devices connected (not all at the same time) this would make it unstable. I don’t know about these things, but surely a wifi hn should be able to run more than a PS4, a laptop and a phone? Or am I expecting too much.

Or was that linked to the fact that I cancelled BT Sport, which they’d added without asking and charged me for without telling me? (which I found out about from you guys!

saxabar
    Free Member

Having the same issue with their Infinity 1 package. Started before I cancelled Sport too, so we can rule that one out!

Edit: I haven’t looked into this properly yet, but I recollect something to do with fewer IP addresses to around. Wouldn’t this impact other providers that use BT’s infrastructure too?

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Likewise. I’ve been having intermittent issues for about 10 months. BT’s customer service – to their credit – was great, but once they prove that a wired device gets internet they lose interest, blaming the fact wi-fi is an unlicensed frequency and is therefore subject to interference from next door’s kettle (I only half jest).

Typical symptoms include devices showing they are connected to wireless but having no internet connection. In all cases the HomeHub is showing a blue light for a solid internet connection. Sometimes device A will have internet but not device B. Sometimes all I need to do is turn the wi-fi off and on on the device that isn’t connected to the internet, whereas other times it needs a turn off/on for the home hub.

fadda

Interested, as I’m having similar issues. Is it worth just buying another (good) router.

If so – recommendations?

bigdaddy

It’s good to know we’re not alone! (I think). We only really were alerted to the problem when we were eating up data allowance on phones when we were showing connected to wifi. BT seem to have shrugged their shoulders and told me to put up with it or only use 1 device at a time – I didn’t think we were high users of internet, but maybe we are!!

stilltortoise
    Free Member

only use 1 device at a time

Really??!
    😯

bigdaddy

Its not something I know much about, but it sounds ridiculous to me! Are other hubs better then – do I need to be looking at a new supplier? Certainly seems I’m not alone

honeybadgerx

We’ve been having our hub drop out on a regular basis over the past two months, and the problem seems to be further down the line at BT (despite having to do the same line check each time…). Generally found you’re better calling the complaints line then getting transferred to support -they seem a bit more motivated then!

bigdaddy

I’ll have to try the complaints line then, cheers

ScottChegg
    Free Member

I got a new hub from BT (might be HH5) and yestersday there were 8 devices all sucking bandwidth from it; which it happily supplied.

The old one that it replaced (with the separate white box) never had an issue, but I didn’t actually count the drain on it.

If it’s not working ask for a replacement. A bit of light threatening usually gets results, especailly if you are out of contract.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Ditto. I had to turn of wep/wpa toget it working

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Not sure of the issue. I was very happy for a long time with BT, but the last 10 months have been a little frustrating, especially the “it’s not our problem” approach to dealing with wi-fi issues that BT have adopted.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I find that Tweeting their customer care is very effective.

PS I’ve had two replacement HH3 and it’s not sorted it. The engineer said they were more reliable than both the HH4 and HH5.

richmars

Happy HH5 user here. (4-5 wired, plus 2-3 wireless, plus a mains thing).

stilltortoise
    Free Member

2 – 3 wireless devices in one household, in this day and age, is nothing. A quick count in our household gives 12 devices…
    …and that’s before we have visitors with their tablets and phones 🙂

V8_shin_print
    Free Member

Rather than buying a router a cheaper option is to buy a timer plug to just restart the home hub once a week at a time when you won’t notice. 9 devices here, mostly wireless and I used to get the same issues you describe. A regular restart seems to have kept it working fine since getting the plug.

Actually it hasn’t been fine as it failed completely about 2 months ago, I wonder if the timer plug is bad for it’s long time health? Not too concerned though as BT replaced it without issue and the old one went back for refurbishment at the grand old age of 9 months 🙂

D0NK

multiple wifi devices in our house doesn’t seem to be a problem but had a specific issue with wired recently. Was trying to copy a file across from one pc to another and hub dropped the host pc after a short time (about 10% of the file copied) had to power cycle the hub and it did the same thing when I tried copying the file again. I don’t normally have file sharing running so haven’t noticed it before. Annoying tho. Grrr.

(HH3 I think)

annebr
    Free Member

I’m on TalkTalk and we have problems occasionally with devices connecting to the wifi.

We can easily have over 10 devices trying to connect (or lying dormant while connected). I think it is a limitation of IP addresses. A reboot will often fix it.

Irritating though.

Alphabet

When I was on BT ADSL and then BT Infinity I found switching off 5G wifi and just using 2.4G sorted out all my connection issues.

saxabar
    Free Member

Tweeted them and got the following:

‘Try a factory reset on the hub and let me know if that sorts it out http://bit.ly/1rdukE8’

Fingers crossed. Have partner’s family descending on the weekend, so can do without wifi ‘drama’

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘BT Wifi hub issues’ is closed to new replies.