Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)
  • Brutalists assemble
  • scuttler
    maccruiskeen

I bought my brother a book of soviet era Russian bus stops recently

Weird Bus Stop Design of the Soviet Era

Murray

So sad when Yoguslavia fell apart. I went there as a kid on a European driving holiday. I learnt to swim and to avoid sea urchins in now Croatia. I drove a minibus to Greece through Yoguslavia aged 22 then the lovely places that I’d visited became a war zone.

Whilst Tito was a dictator the fiction that he built helped keep the lid on.

gallowayboy

Norco House in George street Aberdeen is was one of my favourites. Is it still there?

bikebouy
    Free Member

Big big fan of this era of architecture.

We used to have some great threads BITD when Fred started them.

Good links 👍

aP
    Free Member

Hackney Wick station by Landolt & Brown (opened this summer)

Northwind

Cardross seminary. I’ve a wee guilty admission that I think it looks better derelict than it ever did in use, it’s even more concretey.

https://spectator.imgix.net/content/uploads/2016/02/Architecture2702.jpg?auto=compress,enhance,format&crop=faces,entropy,edges&fit=crop&w=620&h=413

gallowayboy

Do you need massive concrete to be brutalist? I always thought Rochdales Black Box had brutalist leanings – certainly a dehumanising place to work..

squirrelking
    Free Member

<p><p>That is awesome. Brutalism does nothing for me but this is something else.</p><p></p><p>My missus is from Cumbernauld. Bleh.</p></p>

gonefishin
    Free Member

Norco House in George street Aberdeen is was one of my favourites. Is it still there?

In a true middle class style, it’s a John Lewis now.

allthegear
    Free Member

Brutalism you say? You need Jonathan Meades… https://vimeo.com/93116236 😍

rachel

allthegear
    Free Member

Oh, and I did rather like this place…

Buzludzha

maccruiskeen

Cardross seminary. I’ve a wee guilty admission that I think it looks better derelict than it ever did in use, it’s even more concretey.

Thats nothing to be guilty about – It does look great derelict – seems to defy gravity. Its a shame NVA’s plans to stabilise it as a ruin – a sort of semi open-air pavilion – and make it accessible again have been torpedoed.

I got to spend a couple of days clambering about the place as part of a film project recently and its strange floating quality was really disconcerting – it really doesn’t seam to want to touch the ground

dmck16
    Free Member

Wouldn’t mind scouting round here on my next trip to Berlin…

Apparently known as the ‘Mouse Bunker’ due to the animal testing that took place 😬

Northwind

That’s a good one dmck16, makes me expect xenomorphs though

rickmeister

What a great website.. thanks for sharing. I have finally found a place I visited near Llubijana. What an interesting read…

flyingmonkeycorps

I bought my brother a book of soviet era Russian bus stops recently

Thats nothing to be guilty about – It does look great derelict – seems to defy gravity. Its a shame NVA’s plans to stabilise it as a ruin – a sort of semi open-air pavilion – and make it accessible again have been torpedoed.

I got to spend a couple of days clambering about the place as part of a film project recently and its strange floating quality was really disconcerting – it really doesn’t seam to want to touch the ground

I got the Russian Bus Stops book for my birthday, love it.

Is Cardross still there? I’m staying not far from there next summer and I’ve always fancied a wander around.

willard

I spent four years of my life ‘learning’ here. It was only later I found out that the aversion therapy scenes from Clockwork Orange were filmed in it.

Brunel Uni Lecture Theatre

bikebouy
    Free Member

My old Uni… always seems to get forgotten, I guess unless you’ve been there it just doesn’t appear on the radar..

scuttler

Spomenik database is fab. Just need a week to get through it all.

maccruiskeen

I got the Russian Bus Stops book for my birthday, love it.

Rik? is that you?

Is Cardross still there? I’m staying not far from there next summer and I’ve always fancied a wander around.

Yes its still there but what the access arrangements are at present I’m not sure – NVA acquired the building a few years ago and did a lot of cleanup/make safe work (in the sense of dealing with quite a lot of asbestos that was littering the site). That meant the site was then secured and had 24 hr security so you couldn’t just rock up and wander about is as you could in the past.

They staged a few events there and theres been a bit of filming and you could also get access on Doors Open Day etc

They secured funding to renovate/make safe as sort of pavilion /perfomance venue but having secured the funding for the work they then had the funding for themselves as an organisation pulled and they’ve gone under as a result. So I don’t currently know where that leaves ownership of the site and whether its still being kept secure.

I also don’t know what the status of the funds that we’re committed to the renovation – whether another organisation could step in and continue the project or whether that has all evaporated now

aP
    Free Member

My old Uni… always seems to get forgotten, I guess unless you’ve been there it just doesn’t appear on the radar..

What – a large greenfield university by one of Britain’s most important post war architects?

How about Israel Lyons Ellis (Gray) – PCL

PCL

nbt

gallowayboy wrote

Do you need massive concrete to be brutalist?

Really, yes. It comes from the french “brut” meaning raw, referencing the raw concrete that Le Corbusier used to create his buildings. It’s not really about “brutal” architecture

flyingmonkeycorps

Rik? is that you?

Haha nah, MrsMonkey got me it. She knows me too well!

Ta for the Cardross info, might be worth a look. Wouldn’t be the first time I’ve snuck past security.

DrJ

For telly addicts, Little Drummer Girl, starting Sunday on C4, adds to the list of TV/movies shot at the iconic Rowley Way estate.

gallowayboy

Cheers nbt, always learning….

squirrelking
    Free Member

DysUtopia

Image result for cumbernauld town centrehttps://i1.wp.com/www.glasgowarchitecture.co.uk/images/jpgs/cumbernauld_town_centre_d280411_d2.jpg

https://i0.wp.com/www.glasgowarchitecture.co.uk/images/jpgs/cumbernauld_town_centre_d260411_d1.jpghttps://i0.wp.com/www.glasgowarchitecture.co.uk/images/jpgs/cumbernauld_town_centre_d280411_d1.jpg
    <div class=”irc_mimg irc_hic”></div>
    <div>https://i1.wp.com/www.glasgowarchitecture.co.uk/images/jpgs/cumbernauld_town_centre_d280411_d4.jpghttps://i1.wp.com/www.glasgowarchitecture.co.uk/images/jpgs/cumbernauld_town_centre_d280411_d3.jpghttps://i1.wp.com/www.glasgowarchitecture.co.uk/images/jpgs/cumbernauld_town_centre_d060511_d1.jpg</div>

squirrelking
    Free Member

Oh, and no brutalism thread is complete without some background muzak.

Nico
    Free Member

It’s pretty well-known, but it’s Modernist, not Brutalist.

Edit: I stand corrected (by Wikipedia). It has a lot of glass by what I think of as Brutalist standards. A google tells me that Brutalism doesn’t even have to involved concrete but generally does.

aP
    Free Member

Actually it doesn’t need to be concrete – the first reference was by Hans Asplund as a name for a style related to a domestic scaled masonry building around 1950, it was only really in the mid 50 then mid 60s when Reyner Banham named the school of architecture led by (amongst others) the Alison and Peter Smithson as “The New Brutalists” and leading on from le Corbusier’s <i>béton brut</i> after the war, based on pre-war buildings by Perret amongst others.

kiwijohn

The recently departed 10 Murray Street.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Berkshire “Shire Hall”, a monument to local government stupidity.  They spent a fortune building huge out of town offices, then split the council up into smaller districts, couldn’t then sell it as it’s not in the town, so sold it to Foster Wheeler at a massive loss.  Foster Wheeler’s USA arm then almost went bankrupt and was bailed out by the UK operations selling the office building to an investment company with themselves as a sitting tenant, apparently that “project” made more money than any other actual work done in the building!

From this angle it just looks horrible, from the roadside it looks like a Bond villains lair with multiple levels of underground car parks and ventilation ducts missile silo’s.

From a distance though it kinda makes sense, it’s on the top of a hill with a further artificial slope on two sides, so it sort of looks like a Brutalist reimagining of Windsor castle!

And like all good cold war buildings, there’s a nuclear bunker in the basement.

z1ppy

Yay, I’m buying that bus stop book for my brothers xmas present, any other ‘similar’ suggestions for my Step dad?

eddiebaby
    Free Member

My brother works in that building for Foster Wheeler. Judging by their layoffs over the last few years they’ll be rattling round in there with a floor for each of them.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

A mate of mine wrote and photographed this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/A1-Portrait-Road-Jon-Nicholson/dp/0002201992

aP
    Free Member

Lancaster (Forton) Services

bikebouy
    Free Member

Rapha have a “brutalist” tour map of London on thier website if anyone fancies a poodle around town..

I went on one about 2yrs ago and it was surprising to see so many buildings still standing.. the Court House on Euston Rd is especially interesting as it’s hardly visiable from the main road, but behind it is fabulous.

maccruiskeen

Yay, I’m buying that bus stop book for my brothers xmas present, any other ‘similar’ suggestions for my Step dad?

the book has a sequel 🙂

eddiebaby
    Free Member

If it wasn’t for the foliage this looks pretty crap, but with it the feel is fun. Gotta love a bit of Basingstoke.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)

The topic ‘Brutalists assemble’ is closed to new replies.