Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • brio trains
  • steveoath
    Free Member

My almost 2 year old daughter has now started taking an interest in the brio (and IKEA) trainset my folks bought for her. And, to be honest, I’m really getting into building stuff with her. Any stwers know of a good source of compatible tracks? Is eBay where to look?

riddoch

Don’t buy the cheap tesco version, it doesn’t fit nicely with itself let alone the proper stuff.
    Best bet is setting up a eBay search for people local to you selling collection only, that keeps the price much lower. Keep an eye on fridayadds/gumtree too.
    Duplo is my three olds ones at the mo, just waiting for a big box of train bits to end.

Jingle
    Free Member

You are right: e-bay is a good place to look. There are all sorts of conditions and prices, but you can usually find a good deal – maybe ask a couple of questions before travelling to view. Be aware of the hassle of returning something supplied by post from a private seller if it isn’t quite what you hoped.

Morrisons supermarket sometimes have train sets which are compatible and seem a very reasonable price. I think Mothercare sell compatible parts and sets (may be their own brand) – after last Christmas some were reduced to reasonable prices.

steveoath
    Free Member

Cool, thanks.

sandwicheater

Yeah for Brio, our two year old is in the same boat. As riddoch says, set up some ebay alerts, we’ve had some good local finds but the brio stuff does go for some high figures.

The early leaning stuff is good for track but nothing compares to brio for the buildings.

senorj

Lil J is quite into his train set but he doesn’t touch the big jigs brio “compatible” trains the in laws got him.
    Must get that from his mother..ha.
    I look out for the odd online bargain& hand me downs.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Big Jigs for Brio-esque stuff but more range and loads cheaper.

bigblackshed

We had a mix of Brio and Early Learning track. It worked together fine. The quality of the Brio stuff was far superior. Both my boys play it to death. The Early Learning track went via a car boot sale, there was lots of interest but I wouldn’t let it go for nowt. I got good money for it. The traders were after the Brio to sell on.

Still got the best of the Brio and the Thomas engines in the loft. Keeping it for sentimental reasons, The Wife has her mind on Grandkids, but that’s a long way off.

kcal

ELC is fine IIRC. Our elder is 17 and while he won’t play with it (much, unless a toddler is visiting) no way will we be selling it – so useful for impromptu child visits..

matt_outandabout

We bought a huuuuge box of mainly track and some trains off Gumtree for £100 or so. Three boys used it for five years, and sold it for £100.

squirrelking
    Free Member

I had Brio when I was wee, the cheap stuff my daughter got given doesn’t even compare. Totally on the lookout for Brio stuff, far higher quality and doesn’t derail like a mofo!

paladin

I got loads from eBay when the youngest was a baby. Not cheap, but its had 5 years of use so far…

toppers3933
    Free Member

BigJigs stuff is compatible with Brio and loads cheaper. they do really good expansion style packs that are worth a look. we have miles of the stuff.

garage-dweller

EBay and gumtree. Lots of straights.

Also get or make yourself some pieces to go male_male and female _female connectors you can then build some meat little turnaround loops etc.

Brio addict headed for 40…

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

monkfingerjnr has a mix of some brio second hand track + trains, some ebay cheapy track, and a few ebay ELC thomas bits. the ebay cheapies are cheap for a reason – lightweight pine, not so accurate fit. brio track is far better, accurately made, hardwood.

brio trains are fair quality although 18 months solid use has broken a brio mighty red engine in a few different ways.

I’d go for brio from ebay and wait for the local collection only stuff (if you can wait).

tobsters
    Free Member

My three year old has a mixture of my old 1980’s Brio, and his own new stuff, and its his favorite indoor toy by far.

We have also bought some Big Jigs to go with it (Grand Central Station), and as others have said here, it is not as good quality and has required a few repairs. So recommend paying a bit more and sticking with Brio.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘brio trains’ is closed to new replies.