Viewing 40 posts - 841 through 880 (of 901 total)
  • Brexit benefits – lets start a list
  • alpin
    Free Member

Was meinst?

You need the language proficiency to apply?

mert
    Free Member

Just glad i didn’t need language proficiency to get my citizenship in Sweden!

robertajobb

Just back from a trip to Switzerland.

2 more benefits…

– instead of a queue of 2 minutes to get through the EU passport control in Zurich, I got to enjoy half an hour queuing in the total-foreigner non EU line. Fecken marvellous.

– because of the even weaker £ to anything civilised, i was able to eat a sandwich costing £11.75. Take away, rather than something single-digit.

Tossers. Hope everyone who voted to leave starves, can’t heat their house and has to wait 2 years for NHS treatment.

trailmonkey

Tossers. Hope everyone who voted to leave starves, can’t heat their house and has to wait 2 years for NHS treatment.

Many people voted for it because they were already in that position and (mistakenly) thought that Brexit might change things for them.

Daffy

– because of the even weaker £ to anything civilised, i was able to eat a sandwich costing £11.75. Take away, rather than something single-digit.

The exchange rate is pretty much back to where it was before Brexit.  Switzerland is just bloody expensive for everything.

kelvin

Well, it’s back to where it was during the referendum campaign…

fenderextender
    Free Member

“Tossers. Hope everyone who voted to leave starves, can’t heat their house and has to wait 2 years for NHS treatment.”

I often indulge a fantasy of mine where we live in this country and all of the benefits 🤣 and costs 🙄 of Brexit applied only to those who wanted this shitshow.

It would be truly marvellous. But, of course, we are all now carrying this pointless millstone around with us.

Sigh.

mattyfez

I can’t really say much about Brexit without getting a warning or a ban.

So all I’ll say it the only slight amusement I can get from this is the confusion from brexit supporters that literally everything is more difficult and more complicated and more expensive now.

Talk about cutting your nose off to spite your face…

fenderextender
    Free Member

^^^^

But generally their next thought is “but I made everything harder for all those snooty remainers too, so that’s OK with me”.

I agree it is time to stop commenting about it here – my blood pressure and general demeanour can still be affected if I think about it for too long.

Speeder

Aren’t we in the necessary, painful transition period and the sunlit uplands are just moments (years) away? It’ll all be worth it in the end when we’re self sufficient and answer to no-one.

Cougar

21 pages – just checking to see if anyone has found a benefit down the back of their sofa.

I can think of two.

1) The shitehawks who have been pretending not to be racist since the 1990s have found a voice, so we now know who they are.

2) The rest of the world has been given a practical demonstration on how “we were OK before we went in” applies when you’ve got a cake and want to take the eggs back out.  I hope Scotland is listening.

There are benefits to be had.  Just, not by us.  Most of the EU27 is probably thanking their lucky stars that they’re shut of us.

Speeder

How is this conversation going on a more right wing, Brexity forum, like say Pistonheads? I doubt many have turned, so are they all in denial or is it the wrong type of Brexit and it’d all be fine if it wasn’t for those pesky remainers?

Cougar

“You won we lost, get over it”?

mattyfez

The immigration thing is particularly amusing.. Assuming that was a big part of the appeal of brexit in the first place. .. Numbers have actually risen.. And the costs of dealing with with it have risen several magnitudes higher than that.

Yet all we hear from No. 10 is ‘stop the boats’ …  How about our government actually deals with the problem… Perceived or not.. It would be far better value for the tax payer than coming up with esoteric solutions that not only have zero impact… They actually exasperated it whilst also lining the pockets of a chosen few.

Funny, that.

BruceWee

The rest of the world has been given a practical demonstration on how “we were OK before we went in” applies when you’ve got a cake and want to take the eggs back out.  I hope Scotland is listening

The cake has been dropped on the floor and stamped on a few times.

Picking a vaguely intact cherry out of the mess is probably the best thing to do. The cake’s gone but at least there’s something worth saving.

You can always put it on a cake that is still intact.

lord_summerisle
    Free Member

How is this conversation going on a more right wing, Brexity forum, like say Pistonheads?

the Brexit – was it worth it? thread is currently about half way through Vol. 4.

I suggested the “brexit benefit” thing of since brits love queuing – having 27 new countries to queue in while waiting for passport to be stamped i got in response “I didnt have to queue when I went to Lanzarote”

Cougar

The immigration thing is particularly amusing.. Assuming that was a big part of the appeal of brexit in the first place. .. Numbers have actually risen..

If only someone could have foreseen… oh, yeah.

alpin
    Free Member

Hope everyone who voted to leave starves, can’t heat their house and has to wait 2 years for NHS treatment.

Thing is, everyone is now in the same sinking shop and you’ll all freeze and starve together.

the Brexit – was it worth it? thread is currently about half way through Vol. 4.

Is this satire or a real thing?

alpin
    Free Member

02.05. episode of The Newsagents isn’t one you want to listen to if you suffer from high blood pressure….

bearGrease

The rest of the world has been given a practical demonstration on how “we were OK before we went in” applies when you’ve got a cake and want to take the eggs back out.  I hope Scotland is listening.

I guarantee that STW’s SNP apologists aren’t.

fenderextender
    Free Member

Seeing someone mention the legal side of immigration above…

I had the misfortune to hear that non-entity Toady Purglove’s statement on immigration yesterday.

Everything he boasted about ‘achieving’ with regards to legal immigration had me thinking “that’s actually a bad thing for a decent progressive country”.

It is depressing what we’ve become.

bikesandboots

The immigration thing is particularly amusing.. Assuming that was a big part of the appeal of brexit in the first place. .. Numbers have actually risen.. And the costs of dealing with with it have risen several magnitudes higher than that.

And the bulk of legal immigrants are no longer white people who look quite like most native Brits. Can’t imagine many brexies being happy with that.

On a side note, I’d like to seed the use of a less grand sounding term than “Brexiteer”. I propose “brexie”. And Nigel Farage shall from now on be pronounced “Farridge”.

BruceWee

I guarantee that STW’s SNP apologists aren’t.

I’m sure there are some SNP supporters on here but they aren’t very vocal.

Oh, you’re doing that thing where you deliberately conflate the SNP government with the independence movement because it’s always easier to win a straw man argument.

Sorry, carry on.  I won’t do anything like call you a Tory-apologist because it doesn’t really add anything to the debate and is just cheap point scoring.

rickmeister

@alpin

You need the language proficiency to apply?

Yes, B1 level.

hot_fiat

I often indulge a fantasy of mine where we live in this country and all of the benefits 🤣 and costs 🙄 of Brexit applied only to those who wanted this shitshow

somewhere, in a shed in, probably Northamptonshire, are a few shipping containers full of ballot papers. It wouldn’t be beyond the wit of man to crack them open, cross reference the ballot number with the poll card and work out exactly who did vote for this shitshow. You could then assign the appropriate people a special tax code to recover the resulting losses.

alpin
    Free Member

@rickmeister…..

How long you been in the Vaterland?

Lernst hält! Du schaffst es!

Daffy

UKIP have (mostly) gone.

We just need Farage to get on more light aircraft.

susepic

[UKIP have (mostly) gone.]

You say that, but it’s the old Tory party that is gone. Today’s Tory party is what UKIP was. Reform is the new UKIP

[We just need Farage to get on more light aircraft.]

If only….I like to think that was a plot by a couple of right thinking MI5 agents……the UK would be in a much better place today without Farage. (and i wonder if Putin would’nt have had the nerve to push the envelope without Brexit)

stevie750

New to this thread and don’t really want to read 22 pages of posts
    Can someone summarize it into a nice list of benefits for us lazy folk

susepic

Here you go Stevie750:

• SFA
    thegeneralist
    Free Member

Not true. I bought some Carbon DT Swiss wheels with a 16% discount back in the post Brexit postal confusion.

Having said which, they deteriorated sharply and they refused to honour the warranty so even that minor win didn’t really turn out that well.

dudeofdoom

It’s definitely the maddest thing, it’s just a 9 mile gap between the U.K. and France, why would you want to make life hard to trade over a large market that close :-(.

Here you go Stevie750:

SFA

TBH they did zero tax sanitary products  and you’ll be able to buy wine in pint bottles or stuff made from the leftovers.

alpin
    Free Member

mattyfez

you’ll be able to buy wine in pint bottles

I mean.. Just why? Everyone knows what size the current standard bottle of wine is…

Why would any ‘winery’ essentially re-tool thier production line just for UK to make a different sized bottle? Total madness.

I mean they could, but there’s no reason for them not to charge more for pint bottles and pass that cost directly to the customer.

That’s exactly what I would do if I was a wine company… Or I just wouldn’t bother at all… And simply say you can have it in 5l boxes, 70cl bottles or maybe magnums if you want a really big bottle.

fasgadh
    Free Member

I think I know where they might be.

Next to the Iraq weapons of mass destruction in some disguised warehouse somewhere.

orangemad

If you couldn’t define what the EU was/is you shouldn’t have been allowed to vote.  Airport should have two queues, one for Brexit voters one for remain voters!  Never mind the roaming charges!

Yep – still no advantages, and I think there is a lot more pain to come.

fenderextender
    Free Member

100% on the winemakers.

If I was a winemaker in France I would be working out exactly what the ‘retooling’ had cost, plus any more on-costs and passing that straight on to idiots who want to buy wine in pints.

If that meant sales dropped below an acceptable level, then I’d just not bother.

susepic

Wine in pint bottle is just nostalgiaw4nk isn’t it……all because that old soak Churchill would drink a pint of champagne for breakfast…if only the Little Englanders could shake off that craving for the 40s and 50s and the empire

dudeofdoom

Wine in pint bottle is just nostalgiaw4nk isn’t it

Tbh I don’t think I can ever remember any trips to the pub where the lads have ordered a round of wine :-).

Thinking about it can you even get beer in a pint size can/bottle, although I’ve never found anyone that worried about the size of their beer cans.(It’s more whether it’s cold or not.)

I’d say that wine became a thing once we’d joined the eu for the common man, I’m pretty sure my grandparents weren’t quaffing back a cheeky Pinot gris back in the day.

Cougar

I mean.. Just why? Everyone knows what size the current standard bottle of wine is…

EU regulations already accommodate 500ml bottles.  Thanks to brexit we can now sell 568ml bottles as well.  Bottles which don’t and probably will never exist for wine.

Unless of course Dominar Nigel the 16th starts up Chateau Du Brexit, which is unlikely as it sounds a bit forrin, but he’s a career grifter so I wouldn’t put it past him.

Viewing 40 posts - 841 through 880 (of 901 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

RAFFLE ENDS FRIDAY 8PM