Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Brechfa
  • alzore
    Free Member

What is the score.?

Off there tomorrow but not done my homework on it. What is the best loop to do? And anything to know to make the most of it?

Thanks

jambon
    Free Member

Haven’t done it for years but it was lots of fun 5 years ago. A big Red loop and a big Black loop as far as I can remember but I was following people who knew what they were doing. I think there are 2 car park with different start point so well worth getting some more info before you go.

creamegg
    Free Member

Black and Red joined as one loop if you want to make a day of it. You can start from either but there are two seperate car parks for each a few miles of each other.

edit. too slow

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

As above, really

What will you be riding? Will give you a wave!

Keva
    Free Member
    rusty90
    Free Member

Red route out of Abergorlech, green, blue and black out of Byrgwm (just west of Brechfa). Abergorlech has the advantage of having a nice pub.
    Red and black together make a good days riding.

LordFelchamtheIII
    Free Member

Do the Gorlech, it’s better than the Raven in my opinion, both designed by Rowan Sorrell and both good, but The raven’s a bit skills area.

alzore
    Free Member

thanks for the replies..

@CaptainFlashheart
    I will be on a green Cotic BFE, I look like a Norwegian fisherman so easy to spot 🙂

LordFelchamtheIII
    Free Member

With a yellow Sowester, big white beard and pipe?

dan45a
    Free Member

IMO the red Gorelch has a bit more flow to it so would recommend that. Also IMO as it has erroded over the years its become more challeging and even more fun.

Black is also good, if you do join both together in one day it is a big ride, distance wise seems ok but does take its toll.

LordFelchamtheIII
    Free Member

Is it signed where the Raven and Gorlech meet? Will be going back soon and easier to use Raven carpark.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

rusty90
    Free Member

Is it signed where the Raven and Gorlech meet?

Not so as you’d notice. After the top section of the black through the trees you come out onto a fire road where the black turns right. If you turn left here instead the final descent of the red is a couple of hundred yards on the right.
    MB Swindon have a good map of a combined route that includes the red and black with some bits of the green and blue. Look at the Brechfa Monster Route Map at http://www.mbswindon.co.uk/trail-guide-brechfa/

dan45a
    Free Member

Its just as rusty90 says. I was there a few weeks ago there were signs pointing to the link so easy to see.

Twodogs

is it signed?

yes.

moonboy
    Free Member

Great place to go for a ride!

timmys

The Blue/Green loop is also worth doing whatever your skill level.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

The Blue/Green loop is also worth doing whatever your skill level.

Hell yeah! That last bit, from the picnic table down, is superb fun at warp speed. Well worth heading back up a few times, IMO.

PhilC
    Free Member

Both good and worth riding. Not sure about linking them together as I think you could end up missing the end of the Gorlich (red) which is excellent. Rode them both two weeks ago – very dry and dusty then!

Other loops also very good!

Keva
    Free Member

when I rode both trails I just rode them both end to end. About 30 miles all togther including the few of miles road in between the two starting points.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

including the few of miles road in between the two starting points.

😕

You can ride them both together without transferring along the road between the two car parks, as mentioned above.

Twodogs

You can ride them both together without transferring along the road between the two car parks, as mentioned above

+1
    it’s a good ride…about 36km altogether. to me, it seems slightly easier to do the black (raven) first, as you get the two biggest climbs out of the way earlier. there’s signs as you drop down from the highest point of the Raven pointing to the Gorlech, then at the top of the final descent of the Gorlech, there’s signs to the Raven…

markrtw
    Free Member

Happy 47th today alzore.
    Old man!

alzore
    Free Member

you cheeky git.! I’m not as old as you and twice as pretty. 33 today…

You joining us on Saturday.?

markrtw
    Free Member

Unfortunately no, I have too much to do back home and only a day to do it in as we have to take Racing round the M25 to visit his grandma on Sunday. Very jealous and the weather is looking very good!

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

* Start at Raven car park
    * Do first half of Raven (Black) until you get to the signposted join with Gorlech,
    * Do all of Gorlech (Red) back to the join and continue Raven,
    * But where it joins the Blue trail continue to the end (fun, easy finish rather than the somewhat awkward finish on Raven just when you are tired)

rusty90
    Free Member

But where it joins the Blue trail continue to the end (fun, easy finish rather than the somewhat awkward finish on Raven just when you are tired)

Alternatively, do the blue descent to the bottom then turn left, join the main fireroad and turn right, then immediately turn left up a disused logging track before crossing the nant (brook). This brings you out at the bottom of the jump section.
    Then do the next bit of the black which is good fun, with two nice little bridges. After that go up the fireroad and do the last bit of the green down to the car park – a great fast run to finish off with (the very last bit of the black is a boring waste of time IMO)

mtbmatt
    Free Member

The last black section has been overhauled recently, so it is riding much better than it was before.
    The blue/green descent is ace too. I’d ride the Blue/Green from the top, then ride back up the fireroad and do the last bit of the black.

rusty90
    Free Member

I’d ride the Blue/Green from the top, then ride back up the fireroad and do the last bit of the black

Yes, you would wouldn’t you. Probably why you’re top of the leaderboard for the Raven on strava 🙂

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Brechfa’ is closed to new replies.