Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)
  • Bread and me. A story of loss..
  • crikey
    Free Member

I’ve always liked bread.

When I was a child I existed on sandwiches grabbed from the kitchen at half time in our all day soccer matches, or stuffed into back pockets when we went on adventures. In later life I used bread to fuel racing before gels and energy drinks, I had peanut butter sandwiches handed up to me at the 3 Peaks many years ago.

I was happy with bread, and it was happy with me.

This year I’ve been suffering with bloating, indigestion and mad diarrohea after eating bread, so I gave it up. Being of a medical nature, I wondered if I had developed some kind of problem with gluten, so tried some gluten-free bread, but had exactly the same result.

So, bread; like it but it don’t like me.

portlyone

I loved bread and most of my diet revolves around it.

I’m hoping nothing like this happens to me, I’d have to eat a salad without croutons!

yunki
    Free Member

same problem here..

ulcerative colitis was the diagnosis (after much prodding and searching)

crikey
    Free Member

I dream about toast.
    If a naked lovely lady walked into my bedroom this evening carrying a crumpet, I’d have the crumpet.
    I walk past bakeries and inhale.

It’s bloody murder.

Junkyard
    Free Member

love bread and it does not disagree

Is just over 10 stone and mocks the idiet

crikey
    Free Member

Hmmm… Ulcerative colitis isn’t something I considered, but might be a possibility. I did think of IBS, but I don’t really know.

yunki
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWwUJH70ubM[/video]

crikey
    Free Member

Yep, that sums it up…

nixie

Have you tried making your own bread? Perhaps your intolerant to the additives and preservatives in shop bought bread (which the gluten free bread would also have)?

miketually
    Free Member

Was it Real Bread, or that stuff that comes in bags from the supermarket?

Have you tried making your own sourdough bread and seeing if that has the same effect?

binners

I’d go into mourning if I couldn’t eat bread. Does it not make any difference if you cook it. I’m thinking cheese on toast, pate on toast here?

And do you eat a lot of pies, pasties, potato cakes and crisps to compensate? I’m just thinking what I’d do

crikey
    Free Member

I’m crikey, and I was a bread addict.

I would eat crumpets, pitta bread, pizza, home made bread, shop bought bread, cheese topped muffins, oven bottom muffins, floury baps, toast, eggy fingers, bruschetta, ciabatta, and any other bread product you can name.

I am bereft.

TiRed

Condolences. Have you had the ATA antibody test for coeliacs? Crohn’s and UC could manifest with high CRP.

I’m a complete bread addict – everything from Soda to malt. Of course they all live in the “carb cupboard”. You can always try potato farls.

mrjmt
    Free Member

djaustin – sodas and potato farls, I guess you’re from NI? Cant find decent sodas on the mainland!

crikey
    Free Member

No, had no tests. I’m a nurse, so hospitals and doctors make me nervous. Just need to forget about bread.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=529AgcC7OdY[/video]

tonyd

Interesting you’ve been suffering from bloating. Despite running and riding frequently I’m a bit lardier than I’d like to be, I do eat more than I should but not that much more (in my opinion of course!)

I realise a lot of this is age but I have been wondering for a while if I should try cutting out bread as I eat quite a lot of it, my problem is I don’t know what I’d have instead. I bring sandwiches to work and cannot be arsed to make a salad every day, have thought about making a big pasta salad type thing once or twice a week but it’s still carbs…. If we don’t have dinner of an evening I’ll make beans on toast or have a sandwich.

Heard an interesting conversation on radio the other week, some French chef saying that British (supermarket) bread is rubbish because it’s cooked too quickly and consequently is doughy and stodgy, this made me wonder if that’s making me fatter than I should be.

crikey
    Free Member

In the first week I got a bit desperate, and made a ‘ham sandwich’.

Two slices of ham with coleslaw in the middle; bit messy, but worked a treat.

maccruiskeen

No, had no tests. I’m a nurse, so hospitals and doctors make me nervous. Just need to forget about bread.

Hee hee. My mums a retired nurse, used to run and ICU. She is The Worlds Worst Patient. Most of the nurses / medics I know are maniacs for self diagnosis, alternative medicine and hypochondria 🙂

Maybe its not the bread. Maybe its the butter 🙂

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Just wondered do you get similar symptoms when you eat pasta or such like, as pasta is made from wheat using plain flour It could be a way of narrowing down what is causing this disorder.

crikey
    Free Member

I run an ICU now, and I’m not keen to let anyone tell me I’ve eaten my last slice of toast.

Pasta seems to be ok, but I’ve not eaten loads of it.

The foods I can eat seem to be an ever shrinking pool…

yunki
    Free Member

I’ve cut out all non-soluble fibre, and cut back on stuff with wheat in..

I’ve re-kindled my old love of spuds and oat cakes are erm.. an arranged marriage.. something that I’m sure I will grow to love in time..

Junkyard
    Free Member

And do you eat a lot of pies, pasties, potato cakes and crisps to compensate? I’m just thinking what I’d do

considers binners to be a spiritual brother

crikey
    Free Member

Hmmm, oatcakes are featuring in my current attempts to eat enough to stay alive, not really the same as a nice slice of toast…

poly
    Free Member

Crikey,

The antibody test is available on line for about £20 (or possibly from boots or other pharmacies?).

I’m surprised that gluten free bread caused you the same problem as it bears little resemblance to real bread. Did you cut out everything with wheat in it (so pita bread, bicuits, etc)…

But if one of your own patients was trying to unscientifically self diagnose what would you say (appart from the fact that his sedation had obviously worn off)…

crikey
    Free Member

if one of your own patients was trying to unscientifically self diagnose what would you say

… I’d tell him not to be silly.. Point taken.

Changing to gluten-free stuff with little effect seems to be a problem though, and maybe I should start on the possibly-something-else-is-wrong path.

binners

Crikey – Get some lovely fresh cooked ham, put on an proper staffordshire oatcake, cover in grated extra mature chedder, bit of Worcester sauce in there, roll it all up and whack it in the microwave for 30 seconds

Food of the gods, that is 😀

ransos
    Free Member

Heard an interesting conversation on radio the other week, some French chef saying that British (supermarket) bread is rubbish because it’s cooked too quickly and consequently is doughy and stodgy, this made me wonder if that’s making me fatter than I should be.

It’s called the Chorleywood process, and is used for mass-market bread because it’s cheap and quick. Either make your own or find a good baker. Trouble is, the bread tastes better so you eat more.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chorleywood_Bread_Process

miketually
    Free Member

Heard an interesting conversation on radio the other week, some French chef saying that British (supermarket) bread is rubbish because it’s cooked too quickly and consequently is doughy and stodgy

100% true.

molgrips
    Free Member

I went round all the local bakers when I lived in part of town that had them. The best bread? Tesco.

I had this really pleasant sensation of taste when I ate it, but I can’t imagine why since it’s so rubbish 🙄

phil.w
    Free Member

Heard an interesting conversation on radio the other week, some French chef saying that British (supermarket) bread is rubbish because it’s cooked too quickly and consequently is doughy and stodgy

It’s not the cooking too quickly, it’s the process by which they get it to prove so quickly. (chorleywood as above)

Proving bread brakes down the gluten such that the body can process it.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

I’ve eaten half a loaf of cheap morrisons white bread today if that helps.

phil.w
    Free Member

I had this really pleasant sensation of taste when I ate it, but I can’t imagine why

sugar and flavour enhancers?

binners

molgrips
    Free Member

sugar and flavour enhancers?

You tell me.

crikey
    Free Member

All very well, but I’m put in mind of the famous Scandinavian joke;

Lady; ‘Would you like super sex?’
    Man: ‘I’ll just have the soup thanks…’

I’m off bread, I loved it and now it’s gone.

miketually
    Free Member

I went round all the local bakers when I lived in part of town that had them. The best bread? Tesco.

I had this really pleasant sensation of taste when I ate it, but I can’t imagine why since it’s so rubbish.

You’ll not be iEating iBread iAnyway, surely?

crikey
    Free Member

binners

Can you not do naan bread Crikey? You could live off kebabs

crikey
    Free Member

I’d end up in a korma.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘Bread and me. A story of loss..’ is closed to new replies.