• This topic has 19 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by winch.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Brake pads eating rotors , anyone else ??
  • blastit
    Free Member

🙁 I am using superstar sintered at the moment and they seem to be eating the rotors. Nibbling into my floating rotors is getting expensive!!!
    So whats a bit kinder to my rotors with decent wear ??

Cheers

Tracey

Using Uberbike race matrix on a variety of diferent rotors, can’t see any rotor wear and they are great for stopping power. They had a discount code last week, EXTRA20, so ordered some more for our Alps trip

mcnultycop

Are the rotors not just made of cheese? What sort are they?

singlespeedstu

I stopped using ss kevlars because they were destroying my shimano rotors.
    I use shimano pads now and my rotors are lasting way longer.

Northwind

What rotors are you using? Some (Uberbike floating, old Superstar floating, Shimano deore) are made of tin or something. Formula lightweights sacrifice durability for weight too.

On standard formula, avid and decent shimano, different pads don’t seem to make any obvious difference to wear- like, once every so often I’ll notice a disc is thin and replace it, but so rarely that I don’t even really know how long they last, sort of thing.

nuke

When do people change their rotors? I use SS kevlar and had noticed my Avid rotors are getting thinner 😕

Dibbs
    Free Member

I use a micrometer on mine once in a while and change them when they’ve worn around 30% (i.e. the disc’s are 70% of the original thickness).

milky1980
    Free Member

My rear brake eats through rotors in the wet, sintered pads to cope with the grit/grinding paste. The same pads on the front don’t wear the rotor down anywhere near as much despite the pads wearing just as fast. Does it on both bikes, one on Hopes the other on Shimano. The rear brakes get covered in spray from the front wheel, the front hardly anything!

Hope said to change the rotors when they get to 1.6mm, the Shimano’s have 1.5mm written on them. I check them every pad change and swap out when required, no point taking any risks when it comes to brakes!

singlespeedstu

What rotors are you using?

Shimano floating rotors.

blastit
    Free Member

I have hope floaters and normal hope ones , some cheap ones and some avids. All seem to be wearing.
    I did try the uber race ones but only one set, so can’t really say if they wear rotors less or not.
    Just wondering really if anyone was using a certain pad with less wear.
    I can’t remember this being an issue in the past, just the last couple of years really.

tomd
    Free Member

I wore out a set of rotors in Uberbike Sintered in around 9 months. Bike was used quite a bit but previous bike I got 3 years of similar use.

Tracey

Been using the race matrix, cant coment on the sintered, on all our bikes for the last two years including our Alps trips and in the Peak all year round. Rotors are a mixture of Icetec, Avid and Hayes. No noticeable wear on any of them. Maybe worth checking that the pistons aren’t sticking.

blastit
    Free Member

Never noticed wear on my hope mono mini’s which are now on my sons bike still going strong. The hope x2’s on mine are about 2/3 years old and has floaters and are quite worn and ridged.
    Could it be trying too hard to get a long lasting pad at the price of the rotors. With hope floating rotors at £30 a pop it’s more of an issue.
    Are some sintered pads harder than others ??

breninbeener

I view rotors as a consumable. Even vicars driving Nissan Micras have new discs after 3 sets of pads.

My track bike or car use more aggressive pads and wear out high quality rotors in 2-3 sets of pads.

On an mtb we are asking tiny masses of materials to cope with dramatic energy transfer. I think foor the performance we get, its reasonable to expect rotor wear of that order. Nobody likes throwing money at this stuff, but a rotor isnt fit and forget.

andyl
    Free Member

Shimano floating rotors

I could be wrong but I didn’t think shimano made floating rotors? They do ones with a separate inner carrier (aluminium on XT etc) but they are not floating.

Check on the disc to see if it says it can be used with sintered pads. I have some LX shimano riveted rotors (centre lock so need to be) that state not to use sintered pads. I guess they are a different grade of steel or not heat treated or something compared to my XT rotors.

Link to old discussion which might give some clues: http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/why-are-some-shimano-discs-for-resin-pads-only

singlespeedstu

They’re XT’s.
    Also kevlar pads not sintered.

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

I put some clarks sintered on a new set of Avid brakes that came on my Dale 29er and they sounded like a grumbling , grinding mess. This is the HS1 discs front 180 and rear 160. They did kind of stop me though, although the discs looked a bit scored after 40 miles, so I put Uber race matrix pads on there. Its the second bike I have put these on and don’t find them at all good. They seem very wooden and don’t bite well. Bit disappointed, as I do own a lot of good things from them. Same feel with my Zee’s on my Jekyll, which initially I thought it was due to being 4 pots. Is anyone else finding this, as the standard Avid pads just howled and screamed when they got damp.

thegreatape
    Free Member

I’ve got race matrix pads – the finned ones with inserts – and while they seemed decent enough to start with they don’t feel so good now, and there is loads left. As you say, no real bite. I recall someone else finding them very unpredictable on another thread – Northwind perhaps? Got the sintered inserts to try next.

reedspeed
    Free Member

Use both Uberbike sintered and matrix,on hope & Uberbike discs ,no issues with either !…

I’d be looking at the conditions in relation to pads etc .. & regularly strip the pads out clean & dry them & the discs,especially this weather .

winch
    Free Member

I sent my completely worn out solid hope rotor back to hope after running just two sets of superstar pads on it. I sent the second set of pads with it.

Hope said they tested the superstar pads and found them to be far too hard and that this was the cause of the premature wear.

Haven’t got around to raising it with superstar yet.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Brake pads eating rotors , anyone else ??’ is closed to new replies.