Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)
  • Bradford Curry
  • johnh65
    Free Member

The “chicken” was a bit chewy that night…

xherbivorex
    Free Member

B.A.Nana – Member

Yeah Jon, that is the Kashmir, I’ve never eaten in the posh bit upstairs. I presume it’s exactly the same food.

we did once, and yes it was the same. but with tablecloths.
    so not the same really…

CHB

Kashmir review:
    Just back from Kashmir in Bradford (yes the downstairs bit).
    It was good food and after a long period of staying away we will be going back.
    The meat buhna for £5 was as good as ever, dry with tender meat and half a well cooked tomato in it. It also included the obligatory 3 chappatis!
    Sons prawn korma was very average. Daughter loved her chicken tikka and chips for £3.80.
    The staff were a little surly, but I there was a staff member (owner?) that turned up and started ranting in a drunken manner behind the scenes. He was like a mix of Oliver Read and Omar Sharif, with the manners of Rab C Nesbit.

So we went for a curry and had a stage show!

Sadly the vinyl table cloths and plastic chairs are long gone, though its hardly posh.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

For me, curry has to have formica tables, basic chairs, jug of water, glasses and salad on arrival, bring your own drink and eat with your fingers. Effectively an indian “greasy spoon” caff.

Brant (and indeed anyone else); if yer ever in That London’s famous London, head for Brick Lane. don’t bother with any of the poncy places along the street; the one you want is Sweet and Spicy, on the corner of Brick Lane and Chicksand St. Proper.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

About 15 years ago I went to the Bombay Bicycle Club somewhere in London which I seem to recall as being excellent, although it was proper posh, so I think I ate with a spoon? and I didn’t stick my fingers in the food like you would in Bradford.

brant
    Free Member

My fave eating place in London was a really ace low priced formica tabled Thai place near The Cut, down the road from Evans Waterloo. We used to go there for lunch from Kings Reach Tower on Stamford St when I was at IPC.

johnhoo
    Free Member

I wouldn’t want to stay in That London for long enough to need to eat 😉

plumber
    Free Member

Kashmir for me – only had one ‘average’ curry in 20 years from there.

I can recomended without hesitation the ‘locals’ indian on Albert Street, Nelson (can never remember the name). It is everything Brant requires and less :-). I would happily pay £100 for their chicken saag that actually costs £3.50. Garlic naan is a dream too.

I actually cried after my last meal there before coming to Canada. It is the only thing I miss other than nippy Calderdale mornings. It is the thing I will return to the UK for too probably.

Plum

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

So how was the curry?

Saw someone mentioned the Shish Mahal on Kirkstall Rd – again, an excellent place for a meal. Real top notch food and excellent service!

I’m slowly in the process of working my way around most of the curry houses in West Yorkshire just for the pure love of curry!

Theres also an excellent one in Huddersfield on the corner near the bus station (name escapes me) and if you happen to be unlucky enough to be in Halifax on an evening, you could do worse than the Kamran on Union St. I think they do a 3 courses for a fiver 3 course set meal which is awesome!

marc
    Free Member

Kamran?!

If you’re in town go to Meenas or East View. They’re OK, but sadly nowhere as good as Bradford.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I’ve created an equation.

Less cutlery on the table = better curry

oomidamon

Is the K2 on Lumb Lane still going? That used to be great after a few in the Beehive. Eh, them were the days…

BigJohn

We started going to the Karachi in 1973. 5 bob it was in them days. I go there every time I am within 20 miles of Bradford now. Which isn’t often enough.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Ah, The Evershite was a great curry for £3.50! Im don’t think its there anymore though as a sit down thing.

I’d recommend Rozina’s in Shipley, or for a posh curry The Aagrah in Shipley, much better than Akbars.

johnhoo
    Free Member

I don’t know why Shipley has so many restaurants, per head, but I’m not complaining 😉

Aagrah is good, as is The Sharma on Fox Corner; I’ve heard that the Rajpoot & Shimla Spice on Otley Road are also good. Haven’t tried Rozina’s, nor the Thai place opposite.

Pan Choice (?) is supposed to be good for chinese.

NZCol

Please stop, all i want is a decent curry and here’s you lot talking about all these restaurants …… pah …. NZ curries just don;t cut it….

CHB

NZCol, thats a real shame because in NZ you have the worlds supply of lamb/mutton for making good curries!

Cooroo
    Free Member

Leeds curry memories – original Corner Cafe on Scott Hall Road was fantastic. Like sitting in a grubby front room, bring your own booze, eat with your fingers, delicious. Haven’t tried the new poncier looking version on Burley Road.

Chase
    Free Member

Does the ‘International’ still exist? (Morley Street I think – opposite Kashmir). I used to do lunch there on a friday and have often been back 12 hours later following a night on the town. Their chicken bhuna was class. Formica tables and curry stained tunics on the ‘waiters’

Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘Bradford Curry’ is closed to new replies.