Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • BOTTOM RIGHT HAND CORNER!!!!!!
  • PeterPoddy
    Free Member

It's a seemingly simple instruction, but you'd be surprised how many people can't understand it.
    You give them a ticket to sign in the "Bottom right hand corner please" and they go all over the place, you keep telling them, but no, they just go further left! The last bloke started on the top right, then down the bottom before finally finding the right place at about the 5th attempt. Yes, there's more than one space: That's why I tell them. Why can't they understand something soooooooo simple???

And remember – These are the people that build and maintain your houses and roads. 😯

soobalias
    Free Member

dont see why i should sign at all, bloody red tape, thats all it is.

put the kettle on.

wwaswas

wouldn't it just be easier to have a couloured area?

"Sign in the yellow rectangle please"

people spend a lot of money on useability surveys for websites, maybe you shoudl do the same with your forms?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Changing the design is not an option, and not really the point. It's not the best design, which is why I tell people where to sign. The problem is not being able to follow a simple instruction, which, when it can happen 20 times a day, every day, starts to wear a bit thin. I've thought of saying something different, but I can't really make it any simpler to understand…..

GW
    Free Member

try pointing too. 😉

bananaworld
    Free Member

I have trouble telling left from right…

Maybe you could point to where they have to sign? (EDIT: GW's genius beat me to it!)

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Thing is, I pass the ticket out to them through the window. Most are sitting on the weighbridge in their vehicles and too far away to point.

Maybe I should get a long stick with a hand on the end of it?

ctznsmith
    Free Member

Are you allowed to star or ring where they need to sign?

wwaswas

highlighter pen = sign on the yellow bit and the yellow won't go through to the carbon copies?

allthepies
    Free Member

Every place I go to where you're required to sign something always put a little cross by the boxes I need to sign. Perhaps you should do the same.

nickc

If some-one (you) is clearly getting wound up by not signing in the right place, I'd sign anywhere, just for the wind up value…

Life's too short, let it go, otherwise this stuff will give you a heart attack…make it some-one's else's problem

Kit
    Free Member

People are just thick in social situations like that. Where I work, sometimes customers are required to fill in their name and sign. I point to both boxes (which are labelled Print Name and Sign Name) and they still manage to fill some other box in…

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

There's acually a big red box just above the spot, which says "Goods: Signed for/on behalf of the customer" in it and I've thought of mentioning that, but there's a thin red box along the bottom and I can see people trying to write in the 5mm of paper below that if I do.

Thing is, unless you've worked in my job, and lived your life in an office, you really do have no idea of how clueless some people are. I could mark it even more, tell them where to sign, and they'd STILL get it wrong.
    There's drivers that have been coming in here for years, lovely chaps, but you have to tell them simple things twice a week for 2 years before they get the hang of it. 🙂

Drac

I resorted to the good old fashioned way of putting and X on the area I want them to sign, no one has failed since not even half blind old grannies.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Must be hard being you PP. Having to deal with eejit after eejit every day…even if they are nice chaps. Can you get a job at Oxbridge, where you can deal with people who'll understand you better?

KonaTC

Not quite the same but, a good while ago I use to work with a chap who rubbed a candle over any area of a form that said do not write ‘below this line’ or ‘official use only’ didn’t really understand why he did it but as I have got older it all makes sense

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Oh, it doesn't wind me up as such, but it does get flustrating when I just keep telling them the same thing over and over and over. "No, not there, bottom RIGHT"
    Same as when we tell people to wear PPE or not use the phone when driving time after time…

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Thing is, I'm actually pretty patient with them. 99.9% of the cuastoemrs here are bloody good chaps. I just needed to vent after the last one. He blatetly just wasn't listening to a word I said.

[Huh. Another one on the phone now….]

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

[another friendly bollocking handed out]

juan
    Free Member

Well I am an eejit and I understand peter quite well
    Even if he says jouuuups

wwaswas

I find the phrase;

"No, the other right"

Works quite well when giving my wife driving directions.

Perhaps it will work with forms too?

DezB
    Free Member

GW – Member
    try pointing too.

Then they'd sign on his finger

MrOvershoot

Don't worry Peter, at least 1/2 the delivery/collection tickets I see from our weighbridge are signed in a random area despite two yellow boxes to sign!

Having seen the state some of the wheat delivery drivers turning up here I'm surprised any can write at all.

TerryWrist
    Free Member

deadlydarcy – Member

Must be hard being you PP. Having to deal with eejit after eejit every day…even if they are nice chaps. Can you get a job at Oxbridge, where you can deal with people who'll understand you better?

I work in the Ox part of Oxbridge. They're nice chaps, and pretty clever. And still have trouble signing forms in the right place.

It makes me feel superior, not annoyed. You should try this approach PP.

HTH

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Make a stamp with the words 'Dumbass driver: his mark. X'

BigDummy
    Free Member

I love it when Peter is better than other people. It makes me feel all is well with the world. 😀

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

It makes me feel superior, not annoyed. You should try this approach PP.

No, I just wish they'd listen!

I love it when Peter is better than other people. It makes me feel all is well with the world

😀
    No, it's not like that at all. Flustration and the predicability of it all really….

I do like "No, the other right" though. Might work, that….

geoffj

brakes
    Free Member

couldn't they get a computer to do your job?
    it wouldn't put up with any of this crap and wouldn't whinge about it either

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

couldn't they get a computer to do your job?

Quite possibly, yes. But you'd end up with similar shortcomings as getting cameras to do the work of traffic police. 🙄

EDIT
    And what do you think I'm sitting here posting this on? 😉

khani
    Free Member

coming from the other side, having been a tipper driver for a while, you can't hear much in a cab with the engine running
    plus eating a butty with a brew and rolling a tab with the radio on while holding the bite point on the clutch and talking to the gaffer on the phone make it all a little tricky
    i had to practice 8)

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Khani – Yep, you got it down to a tee by the sounds of it. 😀

One of the few things I refuse to do is shout over an idling truck engine. I tried that and go home with a sore throat at the end of the day….

khani
    Free Member

where i used to go the man on the bridge would'nt even speak til you turned off the engine, it did make life easyer, big TURN OFF ENGINE sign in window-engine off-window open-speaky man
    unless you had an old shed that might not start again
    like i did, bastids 😈

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

unless you had an old shed that might not start again

There's quite a lot of those round here. We've had to drag 2 loaded 8 wheelers off this year.

MOst aren't so bad, I just talk normally until they turn it off usually

The 'gulley' between the wall and the truck and the bridge seems to amplify noise quite well.

hilldodger
    Free Member

Sounds like you need the services of a graphic designer…..

khani
    Free Member

out of it now, thank god
    4am starts were no fun, most drivers are too nackard to think when you're up at sillyoclock and still have a life somewhere other than work

Northwind

Kit wrote, "People are just thick in social situations like that. Where I work, sometimes customers are required to fill in their name and sign. I point to both boxes (which are labelled Print Name and Sign Name) and they still manage to fill some other box in…"

We get people phoning us up looking for help with our application forms. fair enough, some of the questions are quite difficult if you haven't read the accompanying notes, though there's no excuse for not just doing that, but when you get to the end every single damn one of them says "And what do I put in the name box?" "YOUR NAME YOU ****ING CRETIN." and then they send the form in and miss bits out and when you send it back they complain and say "I didn't know I had to fill that bit in", yes, obviously our form has lots of bits that nobody has to fill in, they're just there to make it look better.

Not that i have anything to add to the thread mind, it just annoys me.

ex-pat
    Free Member

Could you get paper that has a large rectangle on the back?
    Sign on the back please…

Much easier.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘BOTTOM RIGHT HAND CORNER!!!!!!’ is closed to new replies.