Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • bottom bracket chasing and facing… how much??
  • renton
    Free Member

ok so i might have been a little hasty blaming my superstar bb for being made of cheese .

ive just tried to put my old shimano bottom bracket in my new 456 frame and it has chewed the cup up again.

now the ive cleaned the bottom bracket threads up as best i can , cant see any damage as such .

the other side screws in fine by hand with no resistance.

the drive side is starting to go in the turns to a funny angle and gets tight and then just pops back out the frame??

ive left the frame with my lbs and was just wondering how much people have paid for bb facing and chasing at there local bike shops

cheers

steve

Zone
    Free Member

pricless! B-)

bare frame? from £15ish… if it takes 2 minutes less sometimes. depends on if a cleaner is used or cutter is needed! But you can't face until the threads are square, if you know what I mean.The facing tool needs this to work properly and do a good job .

You would be surprised how many shops do it the wrong way around B-(

Zone

nickc

Get the metal (drive side I think) BB cup from an old internal cartridge BB and cut some vertical slots into it. Tap out the thread, going in half a turn and back out again at a time…

firestarter
    Free Member

tenner in my lbs

shoefiti
    Free Member

Get the metal (drive side I think) BB cup from an old internal cartridge BB and cut some vertical slots into it. Tap out the thread, going in half a turn and back out again at a time…

sounds like a good bodge, but i;d be careful as any burs caused by the cutting of the old cup could damage the threads on the frame, especially if it's an aluminium frame.

renton
    Free Member

that not stourport cycles is it mick??

firestarter
    Free Member

no mate in leeds

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘bottom bracket chasing and facing… how much??’ is closed to new replies.