Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)
  • Bottle cage bosses – anybody still use them?
  • winston
    Free Member

Just had my new hardtail delivered and was wondering idly what I could use them for…..

Seems a bit like cars still having tape players up till a couple of years ago!

trail_rat
    Free Member

Could put a cage in there and then fill said cage with a bottle.

Cage could contain liquid or tools or crack cocaine.

Jamie
    Free Member

On my CX bike, I use them for bottles and a pump bracket.

When I had my hardtail, I just went the tarty route and put some fancy coloured bolts in there.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Still playing teenage mutant turtle paratrooper are we youth?

convert

All my bikes have bottle cages on them.

Sweaty back only when strictly necessary.

BigDummy
    Free Member

Yes. I generally fit a bottle cage. Don’t always use it, but it comes in handy for those massive rides in really nice weather when extra water is a good thing.

🙂

trail_rat
    Free Member

Camelbacks are a necessary evil to strap body armour to for the climb up to the spoooky wood isnti t?

grievoustim
    Free Member

Still plenty of people using them

My only gripe with my new frame is that it only has one set – and I wouldn’t buy a frame that didn’t have at least one pair

scrumfled
    Free Member

Yep. got two of them on the bike, far nicer than a pack on my back making me more sweaty than i need to be.

Northwind

It seems to be quite ENDURO, bottle cage and bumbag, oh and get your mates to refill your water and carry your stuff and lend you tubes and tools.

oliverracing

all my bikes have cages on, if not two – I’m really not a fan of a sweaty back!

njee20
    Free Member

Bottle cage FTW. Tube/Co2 pump strapped to seatpost. Multi-tool and minipump in jersey pockets. Done.

devash
    Free Member

When I’m going on a quick hour blast round the local woods a bottle / bottle cage comes in really handy.

So much quicker to sort out than the Camelbak when you just want to get out of the house quickly before it gets dark.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Its always fun trying to watch someone fill a camelback in a stream ….

Yak

Yes – use 2 on all bikes. Much preferred to a sweaty camelback.

My only gripe with my new frame is that it only has one set – and I wouldn’t buy a frame that didn’t have at least one pair

Got that issue on one bike, so I jubilee clipped another cage directly to the seat-tube. Solid, if not pretty.

ads678

Road bike and HT have bottle cages on, FS doesn’t have bosses so it’s camleback all the way with that. Quick blast locally doesn’t require water though.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

So much quicker to sort out than the Camelbak when you just want to get out of the house quickly before it gets dark.

Yep the pick it up and pour water in thing does get tricky with a camel back, and the fact my tool, pump and spare tube are in there. It’s just murder really.

When I was up racing last year some muppet with just 1 bottle for a 50km ride was bouncing ungracefully down the rough trail in front getting in the way when his bottle fell off his frame. He though I was being sarcastic when I shouted he had lost his bottle. 50km and 30c would have been nasty.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I use mine, annoying though when the screw thread in the frame comes loose… 😕

atlaz
    Free Member

I use cages on every bike I own other than the DH bike and the 160mm bike as for the former, I have water at the car and for the latter I tend to have a camelbak with me.

Yak

I’ve probably had as many camelback failures – splits, valve coming off etc as bottle drops. Use the cheap alu cages and bend them to make it a tighter fit.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Depends what bike its on. By the sounds of it being a hardtail its an xc bike so yes needed.

No bottle cages on a frame would be deal breaker for me.

Or you could just forget they are there if your not going to use them.

avdave2

When I had a custom frame built in 1986 it had 3. My next custom build will also have 3

Northwind

Actually this might sound daft, but I’d love one on my dh bike, thirsty business, pushing. I’ve got a tiny wee squeezy bottle I can fit in a pocket but a skinny half-sized bottle would be the business. Everything else offroad, I wear a camelbak.

Clobber
    Free Member

I agree, forget the rucsac…

GHill

My MTB has a bottle cage for two reasons:

[list][*]Big rides (6+ hours) – more liquid required than I can carry in the Camelbak. Also handy for putting energy drink (w. electrolytes) in, preventing manky bladder.[/*]
    [*]BMX track / pump track – don’t want Camelbak getting in the way, leave the water bottle on the start ramp and don’t worry about anyone nicking it.[/*][/list]

switchbacktrog
    Free Member

I use mine, annoying though when the screw thread in the frame comes loose…

Pop Rivet the cage on. That’s what I did when the thread stripped…straight into the old captive nut fitting.

woodsman
    Free Member

I would have said the same a couple of years ago. I’ve started using them now (bottles and cages) for local couple hour blasts. It really is so much nicer hammering the single track without a back-pack.

I have to agree that they spoil the look of the bike though, but I only notice that when it’s parked up!

lovewookie

I use bottle cages and bottles. for up to 3 hours a couple of bottles do fine, for more than that my camelback bladder comes out. Still use the backpack for the kitchen sink though.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Unless I’m going for a bigger day in the hills, I try to ride without a pack whenever I can, so yes, I ride with a bottle on the frame. I used to cart all sorts of stuff around my local trails in my camelbak, seems really stupid now.

And bottles can always be filled from streams, and I’ve not died from that yet.

winston
    Free Member

Ok ok! so you all love them!

I used to bung a bottle on and go occasionally but to all those people who say they never have enough liquid and need the bottle as well….3 litres not enough? I don’t think I’ve ever needed more on a ride except when doing 150 mile days touring when there is always somewhere to refill

To those who just use a bottle – and have dropper posts…..where do you stick your tube, pump, multitool, phone, tyre levers?

hooli

I use them for water, tools and for night rides the battery pack for my lights. I wouldn’t have a bike without them.

spacehopper

yup.. i wouldn’t buy a frame that didn’t have them!

bottle in bottle cage.. tools in under seat pouch..

only wear a rucksack on long day rides where i need to take food and more/spare layers of clothing

grievoustim
    Free Member

where do you stick your tube, pump, multitool, phone, tyre levers?

Jersey pockets

letmetalktomark

If you have to ask ….

acjim
    Free Member

I do use a bottle on the cx bike when out bridleway bashing – it’s fine apart from the unavoidable bit of sh1t that always lands on the mouthpiece.

yuck

RoganJosh
    Free Member

I always take a bag with jacket food and tools but I prefer to have a bottle on the bike rather than the awkward hard to clean/fill and never know how much you’ve drank bladder.

DanW
    Free Member

never know how much you’ve drank bladder.

This is why I switched to bottles. Riding 5 or 6 hours without really knowing how much fluid you are taking in isn’t too much fun as I invariably don’t drink enough (or at all if I am distracted by nice, fun singletrack 😀 )

Can’t stand cleaning the Camelback bladder either and prefer to ride without a pack where a couple of large bottle and a stuffed jersey get the job done.

A ton of crap on the mouthpiece is just part of the MTFU experince of MTB 😀 Not hard to have a quick swill to wash it off on the go.

emac65
    Free Member

Often wonder what the hell people carry in those backpacks…………

spacehopper

tools + dropper post?

i use one of these..

Lezyne Micro caddy

its got all my tools.. some park patches, a c02 cartridge and a micro pump in it..

and it doesn’t clamp to the seat post so no issues with the dropper and it doesnt flap about either!

benp1

My rides are usually fairly short, like no more than a couple of hours. Bottles work for me

WRT this weekend, two cages and two bottles. That’s it!

Would hate not to have them

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)

The topic ‘Bottle cage bosses – anybody still use them?’ is closed to new replies.