Viewing 26 posts - 41 through 66 (of 66 total)
  • Bottle cage bosses – anybody still use them?
  • paulrockliffe
    Free Member

Anyone do a battery case for DX type lights that fixes to a bottle cage?

emac65
    Free Member

Love of the review of that Lezyne saddle bag…..
    “Not everyone needs to take several rounds of sandwiches, a phone, a camera, a waterproof, a spare gear cable, three tubes, patches, a lucky Gonk and all the other saddlebag detritus that some deem necessary on a ride all stuffed into a saddlepack that would trouble a budget airlines baggage allowance. Others like to travel fast and light,…the Lezyne Micro Caddy (Small) is for those people.”

lol 😆

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

To those who just use a bottle – and have dropper posts…..where do you stick your tube, pump, multitool, phone, tyre levers?

I quite often ride with none of that, locally I’m never really further than 10 miles from the house, and I maintain my bike pretty well. It will come back to bite me one day, but so be it.

orangeboy
    Free Member

Ride an enduro use the cage bosses for a bottle !
    Have a dropper post and just put tool and tube in my short pocket/ jursey pocket

Hate having to wear a pack if I don’t have to

porter_jamie

my ss and my cx both have two, and i have a tool bottle with a tube a tool and patches and levers etc in one and a water bottle with a pump mounted on the cage on the other, ready to go. each bike has it’s own because the tubes are different. it makes leaving the house easy. i find my shoes, hat and bike and i’m ready.

unfortunately the full sus doesnt have any, so i have to faff about finding the pack and make sure i have a pump and a tube the right size and so on.

scotroutes

My new custom Ti frame has three sets of bosses. Might add a couple to the forks too.

JCL
    Free Member

A bike would have to be vastly superior to the completion to make me buy it if it didn’t have a bottle mount.

Did you see the EWS footage? Not many packs on backs…

racefaceec90

i still use them for drinking bottles.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

emac65 – Member
    Often wonder what the hell people carry in those backpacks…………

Thats a whole new thread but it ranges from the bare minimum of
    Pump
    Multitool
    Spare Tube
    Mech Hanger
    Water

I could put that in a pocket but as most of my jerseys don’t have them it’s not practical. The ones that do tend to pull much lower with stuff in the pockets and are uncomfortable and annoying.
    that is on rides where I’m close to home (under 10 miles) or close to the car.

After that,
    Another tube
    Food
    Spare jersey/jacket
    First aid kit (bare minimum of a bandage for snake bites is very sensible over here)
    Phone

On a practical not all of the kit stays in the bag so I don’t need to take it all out of my pockets store it, re pack it every time I go out.

rOcKeTdOg

Mike I can understand most of what you carry given where you live but riders here carry a lot more to ride around a 10 mile trail centre they’ve driven 2 hours to get to in the car & it’s got a shop & cafe in the middle of it

I don’t use a huge bag on my back with half my worldly possessions in it (like everyone else seems to) so a bottle & cage is useful. Moreso on the road bike

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Mike I can understand most of what you carry given where you live but riders here carry a lot more to ride around a 10 mile trail centre they’ve driven 2 hours to get to in the car & it’s got a shop & cafe in the middle of it

Who cares?

Honestly I don’t get trying to ram the bare minimum into a jersey pocket but I try not to look down on those who do. Some people do different things, some people just take the bag they normally do wherever they go rather then trying to work out what to pack for the day.

Other times bags look big when empty – people don’t tend to have 3-4 bags of varying sizes depending of if they want to take a thick jacket or more sandwiches.

Sometimes people over think things.

oldgit
    Free Member

Bar bags FTW.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

FTWTF?

Is he(/you?) racing to Tesco’s?

oldgit
    Free Member

^^^^ Cheeky cow.

convert

I’m assuming there is a map on the top of that bag oldgit? It makes so much sense (in the right context) but even so I find obscuring the view of the front wheel very disconcerting.

oldgit
    Free Member

They don’t hide the wheel at all. I use it for audax, but that was the HONC so it had all the rubbish I had to carry with me.
    2 x 29er tubes, tools, phone, wallet, keys, food, reading glasses and the HONC map and control card.

rOcKeTdOg

Who cares?

me! especially when I’ve been on rides where guys have moaned how much climbing there is and they wish they had a lighter bike etc, then you find out they are almost carrying the weight of a bike in their rucksack and we’re only doing 15 miles with a cafe stop in the middle!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

especially when I’ve been on rides where guys have moaned

those people are the one who would moan if it was too long/short/steep/flat/warm/cold/sunny/cloudy normally.

funkhouser
    Free Member

i have a bottle cage and take a bottle full of lucozade or some such on longer rides in addition to the water in my pack. Bottles are cool again dont you know, they’re ‘enduro’ like goggles with open face lids! 😆

njee20
    Free Member

I’m with Rocketdog, there’s myriad posts on here about saving weight, bikes not climbing well etc. the standard answer is always “have a dump”, it should be “re-evaluate the contents of your Camelbak!”

I just don’t get carrying shock pumps, brake pads and so on for anything bar proper riding in the wilds.

On the flipside… As you say Mike it makes no difference to me frankly!

dbukdbuk
    Free Member

I do have a cage on a couple of bikes but only really used to hold a battery for my lights when night riding.

cfinnimore
    Free Member

My bottle cage bosses let my inbred rust from the inside out.

rewski
    Free Member

My new custom Ti frame has three sets of bosses

Can I suggest a Mr King Ti cages, stupid light and Ti on Ti looks so damn good.

wwaswas

My bottle cage bosses let my inbred rust from the inside out.

did you not put well greased bolts in them?

all my bikes have bottle cages that get used;

only place they seem to gather water is the bottom of the seat tube when it gets in the top.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

It was a serious point of consideration for me when buying a new FS bike, as lots don’t have them now.

My current bike does, as I hate wearing a backpack. I’ll be giving enduroing racing a try with just a bottle this year, as I don’t drink much anyway. Everything else will fit in pockets (unless its sh*tty, changable weather & I may have to wear one to carry coats etc).

This way I gain extra enduro points, because I can tape a tube to the frame 🙂

rOcKeTdOg

Anyway, use a Bottle & call it a “bidon” if you really want to get people’s back up 🙂

Viewing 26 posts - 41 through 66 (of 66 total)

The topic ‘Bottle cage bosses – anybody still use them?’ is closed to new replies.