Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Boo, mangled freehub on my Marin, what can I expect on warranty?
  • 13thfloormonk

After a winter of smugly watching other people's freehubs seize in the cold while mine span freely (robgarrioch, you know what I mean!), it transpires it was actually ripping itself to bits internally, leaving me with stripped threads where the freehub bolt should go.

Apparently this is a common problem on 525 hubs, do you think i'd fluke a whole new wheel on warranty or just a new hub for the shop to build into my old kit?

Not entirely comfortable rebuilding that rim, its taken a bit of a battering and is unlikely to be very straight once the spokes are taken out…

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

How old is it?

TBH I think you're pushing it getting anything on warranty. If it was me I wouldn't even bother, I'd just have bought a new hub and swapped the rim and spokes over, but I can work wonders with a spoke key sometimes…. 🙂

druidh
    Free Member

Speak to your local friendly Marin dealer?

Mister-P
    Free Member

Speak NICELY to the place of purchase. I know it is fairly obvious but a polite customer is much more likely to get a good outcome than a shouty one.

njee20
    Free Member

Agree with PP, the hub issue is one thing, and the fact your rim is knackered is certainly not a warranty issue !

Even if you get a hub (warranty or not), you can just swap all the internals over, so no need to rebuild.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

It would very much depend on the age of the bike IMO. The threads should not strip but is that due to not checking the tightness?

Worth a try but most places will say " fair wear and tear" I guess.

13thfloormonk

The hub is only 8 months old. The local friendly marin dealer is also my until very recently employer, so I'd like to think they'll take my side, but ultimately its not up to them I suppose, plus I don't want to cause my mates grief by being an awkward bugger 😀

I understand I can't expect a new rim on warranty, just wondered if anyone else had ever got a whole new wheel in similar circumstances, I know in the past we'd given customers new wheels when a new hub is all that was required. I could rebuild an old wonky rim onto a new hub, would just rather not…

The internals can't be replaced, its the thread in the hub shell thats damaged, great lumps of swarf hanging off it. I don't know if a freehub bolt loosening and knackering itself constitutes fair wear and tear in 8 months of use, if the bearings were all sloppy and running dry then perhaps…

ojom
    Free Member

The local friendly marin dealer is also my until very recently employer

FAIL – you didn't work here 8) 😉

njee20
    Free Member

It'll depend on the company then, Marin are very unlikely to keep hubs in, so they'll either give you a wheel, or will send you to Madison, who will give you a hub (assuming it's honoured as a warranty claim).

Go talk to the shop you may or may not have worked for, seeing as none of us are in the warranty department of ATB sales…

13thfloormonk

True, I don't work for The Bike Chain, however I spent more than three years in another local shop which sells Marin bikes. Clever eh? 😉

ojom
    Free Member

Yeah but we is the friendliest 👿

Kit
    Free Member

Yeah but we is the friendliest

and the latest opening.

ojom
    Free Member

Oh aye… how est le bike?

Kit
    Free Member

Those swish carbon forks got me to work .3423498% quicker last night 😉

No, actually it was great being on narrow wheels again, and with brakes that work properly (if its not raining)! Cheers very much.

ojom
    Free Member

Thanks for the work. Sorry it took longer than intended.

We seem to have gotten a little bit busy in the workshop all of a sudden, the weather has taken it's toll.

Ian – i would be happy sorting the hub for you, at least attempting a warranty claim if it helps.

Rampage
    Free Member

My M525 had knackered bearings after a couple of months on my 2008 Stumpjumper. The cones were very worn. No-one really seemed bothered about it. I just rebuilt it in the end, this now needs doing every couple of months of riding. It now uses parts from a 1991 LX rear hub that has been very well used but is in much better condition.

If they give you a new hub, it'll be another M525, and they aren't really suitable for decent off-road riding!

13thfloormonk

Mark, you're too kind!

However I'll stick with the co-op, I bought it there, and I can count on the testimony of the mechanic who helped me take it all apart!

ojom
    Free Member

I like how you stalked me/i stalked you in Tesco just now.

Skills!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Boo, mangled freehub on my Marin, what can I expect on warranty?’ is closed to new replies.