Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 83 total)
  • Bonkers divorce ruling (maybe)
  • Pigface
    Free Member

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-gloucestershire-31829277

Wow if she gets this it would be a bit harsh.

DezB
    Free Member

If the linked story is anything to go by, he’ll be ok
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-suffolk-31587592 😆

McHamish
    Free Member

Agreed. If she gets a payout I think divorce courts are broken.

According to the article, he launched the business after they were divorced. Based on that I can’t see what she contributed to his success.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

As was once said Divorce – Latin for the removal of a mans wallet via his testicles.

hora
    Free Member

Any children? If so avoided paying for them at the time?

hora
    Free Member

From another sauce….

Kathleen Wyatt said she feared Dale Vince would ‘become violent’ when she went to him begging for cash after being left on benefits with two children.

Partial reporting again?

david47
    Free Member

Wyatt married Vince in 1981 when the two were reportedly penniless and traveling England while living on state benefits. The couple had one child while they were married, and Vince helped to support Wyatt’s other child from a previous relationship. The hippie-like couple divorced in 1992, still broke. After the divorce, Vince lived for a time in an old ambulance powered by a home-made wind turbine.

McHamish
    Free Member

But they’d be 20+ now…I don’t think she needs the money to bring up the kids.

hora
    Free Member

Financial remedy.

We need more info. For a Judge to say there was a case in the first place means someone with access to all the facts considered her case viable.

If for instance he avoided all payments and left her destitute along with her children why shouldn’t she be able to chase him for recompense for the time she/her children suffered?

I’d be interested to see more facts and how this pans out.

My Dad paid squat throughout my childhood. I’m glad the CSA chases people vigorously today (for its faults).

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Financial remedy.

We need more info.
    Technically we don’t the Judge does, we could probably merge this one with the Top Gear speculation too. Maybe one of them know where a couple of airliners are.

McHamish
    Free Member

Shouldn’t any remedial payout be in line with his earning at the time? Given he was unemployed it probably isn’t much.

Not sure I agree that she should benefit from his success now.

hora
    Free Member

Putin too?

BigDummy
    Free Member

So it’s basically a procedural issue at this stage. No one has yet been asked to decide whether she can have his money. The court has only been asked to decide whether the question is so insane that they should not even think about it.

They say no, because it isn’t clear whether she made an application for financial provision 20 years ago, no one remembers because they were all on acid, and the files have long since been shredded…

nbt
    hora
    Free Member

So thats six Judges who knew the facts of what he did.

Why should we be afraid? I aint going to be riche’ anytime soon 😀

BigDummy
    Free Member

Everybody calm down. The Supreme Court has ruled in her favour on the technical point of whether the claim should be struck out, and directs that the wife’s application proceed in the Family Division of the High Court.

The next stage is substantive: her making the case for why she should get some of his money. The Supreme Court’s press summary of the judgment says:

Ms Wyatt faces formidable difficulties in seeking to establish that a financial order should be made in her favour, including the short duration of the marriage and the long delay since then. It is not clear whether she will be able to sustain her claim on the basis of need generated by her relationship with Mr Vince. However, section 25(2)(f) of the 1973 Act obliges the court to have regard to “the contributions which each of the parties has made … to the welfare of the family, including any contribution by looking after the home or caring for the family”. Ms Wyatt will no doubt rely on her much greater contribution to the upbringing of the couple’s children over many years [34], a factor which may justify a financial order for a comparatively modest sum.

(my emphasis)

aracer
    Free Member

As BigDummy says, the ruling is simply that she isn’t out of time to claim (which from what I’m reading was always likely to be the case as there is no time limitation on such claims). What she’s entitled to is another matter.

martinhutch

So basically her argument would be that, in raising their children with no support from him, she forfeited earning opportunities for herself and made a contribution to his new-found capitalist success story?

As above, she may well have a case for a modest sum, not a huge slice of his cash.

totalshell

a 65 yr old customer of mine was telling me how he still pays 200 quid a month to his ex wife almost 30 years down the line.. even though he’s retired and about to move into sheltered accomodation

Junkyard
    Free Member

If she brought up the kids and he is a millionaire why not give a reasonable sum [ but small to him sum] like say 50k?

scotroutes

FWIW, the law in Scotland is somewhat different and that doesn’t happen.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

[quoe]Shouldn’t any remedial payout be in line with his earning at the time? Given he was unemployed it probably isn’t much.[/quote]

Out of interest, how does that work if earnings go up/down significantly? Is child supourt pegged against inflation or your wage? And what if you’re a contractor and ‘you as director’ decide to pay yourself a big pension contribution, buy a new company vam, no dividend and minimum wage untill the kids are 18 when you suddenly give yourself a huge dividend?

Junkyard
    Free Member

csa is based on wages and you can use dividends to abuse this fact. You can then be taken to court for this as well….not me to be clear. Not sure of what happened before this time

D0NK

If she brought up the kids and he is a millionaire why not give a reasonable sum

I’m sure people are always compassionate, reasonable and have plenty of common sense when it comes to dealing with their exes….eh?

biglee1

She should be told to sling her hook the sponging bitch! As soon as you’re divorced the couple should’nt be paying the other anything other than child maintenance IMO

aracer
    Free Member

I’ve read through the Court of Appeal judgement linked above (it should be noted that the judges there ruled in favour of the husband, a ruling which has just been overturned by the Supreme Court), and a few facts from that which might help:

That may have prompted the wife to apply to the Child Support Agency for child support for the children. Her application was dated 24th March 1997. There was a review in 1998. The husband’s business being then fledgling, it resulted in a nil assessment following a review of his circumstances.

Surprisingly, the wife made a second application to the Child Support Agency in 2001. For by then Emily was 22 years of age and Dane 18. That probably explains why the application was withdrawn.

Even assuming that the wife’s evidence is accepted on all disputed issues of fact, for the reasons stated by Thorpe LJ there is no real prospect that the wife will succeed on her claim. I say this not only because of the long delay, but also because of all the other circumstances which doom the wife’s application to failure. Thus, if the deputy judge’s order stands, the ultimate result will be that (a) the wife recovers nothing, (b) the husband pays all the costs of both sides and (c) the husband has no prospect of recovering any of the costs which he has paid out. This is not an outcome which the court can contemplate with equanimity, however wealthy the husband may be.

The latter comment still effectively applies. IANAL, but the judge making that comment is, and the latest ruling simply brings into play the scenario he predicts (they have ruled that the deputy judge’s order stands) – the wife still gets nothing, but the husband has to pay lots of money for the lawyers on both sides.

ambientcoast
    Free Member

The latter comment still effectively applies.

And is a perfect example of how the only real winners in a lot of divorces are the lawyers!

Junkyard
    Free Member

I’m sure people are always compassionate, reasonable and have plenty of common sense when it comes to dealing with their exes….eh?

True for some but in the unlikely event I become an OBE millionaire business person I would be happy willing to give her enough money to buy my house of me 😉 a small some of money.

the husband has to pay lots of money for the lawyers on both sides.

Presumably he could have just given her this sum to make it go away?

DezB
    Free Member

“Here’s a fiver. Buy yerself something nice”.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

A difficult decision, who do you hate more, ex’s or lawyers, at least in this case the lawyers are working for the money.

aracer
    Free Member

Maybe. From the sounds of things she’s not the most rational in pursuing her legal action against him. I also suspect that given the way the law works on stuff like this, that it’s not possible to make a full and final settlement and any payment he did make would be setting himself up to be pursued for more.

hora
    Free Member

There was a review in 1998. The husband’s business being then fledgling, it resulted in a nil assessment following a review of his circumstances.

But he started the company THREE years before. I wonder if its a case of hiding assets/etc etc.

Would LOVE To hear her side of the story over that decade and how she coped penniless with two children.

biglee1 – you have children you pay for them. Simple. And no, NOT the bare minimum that you can get away with (or nowt in this case it seems).

squirrelking
    Free Member

FWIW, the law in Scotland is somewhat different and that doesn’t happen.

Hmm, I work with a guy who is expected to pay a proportion of his pension to the ex he divorced about 25 years ago. Or is that different again?

aracer
    Free Member

How do you know he’d actually made any money by then? I wouldn’t have thought it at all unusual for a new company to make nothing for at least the first two years – nothing beyond what is needed to sustain the company.

Would LOVE To hear her side of the story over that decade and how she coped penniless with two children.
    biglee1 – you have children you pay for them. Simple. And no, NOT the bare minimum that you can get away with (or nowt in this case it seems).

In much the same way as if they’d still been together I’d imagine, given that he was also penniless for the majority of that time. Try reading the CoA ruling linked above – his lack of money whilst his children were growing up isn’t disputed, this isn’t about the children.

emsz
    Free Member

thing is, at some point he’s got loads of cash, and if she’s struggled for years and years to feed and look after their kids, then it’s up to him to try to help her out isn’t it? Even if their both past the age when they’re at school, just as a way of saying “thanks for looking after the kids”

If i was her, I’d be a bit peeved as well.

aracer
    Free Member

Struggled in the same way as if they’d still been together. If they had stayed together until the kids had grown up, he’d then left her and started a business and become a millionaire would she be entitled to his money for looking after the kids? In what way is this fundamentally different from that?

Another bit from the CoA ruling (which also isn’t made invalid by their decision being overturned)

The facts of this case are extreme. Inpecuniosity has been the experience of all the wife’s adult life. Both the men with whom she has entered into family life were seemingly equally impecunious. Her husband was the most improbable candidate for affluence. The wife no doubt can appeal to his sense of charity but in my judgment he is not to be compelled to boost the wife’s income by the exercise of the jurisdiction under the Matrimonial Clauses Act 1973 the existence of which cannot now be plainly established and can only be presumed. He is not her insurer against life’s eventualities.

D0NK

True for some but in the unlikely event I become an OBE millionaire business person I would be happy

It applies to applies to both parties, rich person has to be happy to give X amount and the other party has to agree with X.

do we know if he offered anything or has he always said bugger off/see you in court ?

Northwind

hora – Member

But he started the company THREE years before.

It’s always possible that groundwork was laid beforehand. Friend of mine only started his company last year, but he couldn’t have done that without support from his wife for several years before, with no obvious sign of progress or results (and certainly no earnings)

just5minutes
    Free Member

the bloke is quite hard to like – a good few years ago he made a big deal on BBC Countryfile about driving round in a “plug in” car powered by renewables only for it to be revealed later that his main car is actually a gas guzzling Range Rover.

Every time I drive up the M4 to London I marvel at the Ecotricity wind turbine by the motorway in Reading and the fact that Ecotricity receive around £1/4m a year in payments to NOT generate electricity from it.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 83 total)

The topic ‘Bonkers divorce ruling (maybe)’ is closed to new replies.