Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Bluetooth speaker? Or DAB with Bluetooth?
  • nbt

We have a couple of dab radios around, but none have even an external input to allow me to stream music from my phone. Is it better to get a portable Bluetooth speaker, or get a dab radio that also has Bluetooth? Any recommendations of particular models to consider?

Sandwich

We have one of these in the kitchen under the eye level units, it has a 3.5mm line-in to play your phone through. https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01AGTSL0U/ref=pe_3187911_185740111_TE_item

Edit it also plays from NAS dlna servers too as long as the file bit-rate is not too large.

This later one may be better as it also allows a bluetooth connection

https://www.auna-multimedia.co.uk/Radios/Kitchen-Radios/Connect-Soundchef-Substructure-Kitchen-Radio-Internet-DAB-FM-2×3-Speakers-walnut-Walnut-Without-tablet-holder.html

olly2097
    Free Member

Nest/Google speakers for me.

Stream Spotify etc.
    Stream via Bluetooth.
    Stream dab stations.
    Plus all the Google assistant stuff.

I’ve got a set of Audio Pro T20’s in my office.

Can link my phone via BT, PC via wired or BT – and, as I have a few Smart devices (inc Blink camera system), I have an Alexa Show, which I can also use to stream pretty much anything I want – and also just works as a standalone speaker if I just want background noise

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2km1EXq]2020-12-27_09-12-34[/url] by davetheblade, on Flickr

tthew

Multi functional got to be better than standalone things surely. Happy with my Pure Move T4 DAB. Fairly premium price I’d say, but a decent sound for such a weeny thing and built in rechargeable battery last for a good number of hours.

ampthill

In the kitchen we have a used Ruark R2 mk1. Cost under a £100 off ebay. I plug my phone in with a wire. For a few quid I could buy a bluetooth thing

In the Bedroom we have a Ruark R1 bought as a slight second for £170. This does have blue tooth and works well as blue tooth speaker. A dedicated blue tooth speaker at this price would probably sound better (although it sounds great). But I really like it being a nice easy to use radio alarm clock. With an off button and no voice control etc.

pondo

Got a couple of BT speakers (Roberts Travelpad and Anker Soundcore 2, both great but Soundcore’s the better of the two) and a couple of Pure mains DABs with BT. Nice of have a mix, the speakers for portability, the mains DABs for not having to find the bloody speaker, then find it needs charging. Plus, if you’re pottering around the house, put the DABs on the same station and the music’s in time throughout the house.

At some point we’ll have a proper multi-room system, but we don’t have it yet.

andy8442
    Free Member

Bose Soundlink mk2 or whatever is the equivalent now. Small, decent sound, just play everything via your phone.

thepodge
    Free Member

I had one of them in a holiday house, very nearly bought one, very impressed with the sound quality.

If my aether cone still worked I’d recommend one of those but it’s near impossible to get it to connect these days.

stevious

It depends a bit on the user-friendliness for me. We have a DAB with bluetooth in the kitchen, but it’s a faff to get connected & working. The Anker Soundcore I bought for the garage just switches on and connects so ends up being used in the kitchen way more often. The added bonus for me is that I can keep it quite close and keep the volume low which is useful with sleeping kids.

andy8442
    Free Member

A pair of Edifer powered bluetooth speakers do an excellent job as well.

Pieface

DAB with BT as then you can just turn it on to listen to your default radio station

trickydisco
    Free Member

Bose Soundlink mk2 or whatever is the equivalent now.

I started looking at this as a present for my mum. Looks like they don’t make them anymore and have been superseded by the revolve which by all accounts isnt as good

lunge

I don’t see why you’d have a stand-alone DAB. A small speaker, the Anker Soundcore being the obvious choice, that connects quickly to your phone means you can play all the music and stations you want anyway.
    Seems much more logical to me.

sharkbait
    Free Member

I don’t see why you’d have a stand-alone DAB

Because a DAB speaker will work on its own.
    A BT only speaker is useless without something to feed it – and as soon as you go out of BT range the {whatever} stops playing.

ampthill

I press on button on my radio then i have what i want. Just unlocking my phone takes longer

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Bluetooth speaker? Or DAB with Bluetooth?’ is closed to new replies.