Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 192 total)
  • Blue Doon – Fort William
  • poah
    Free Member

Anyone going tomorrow for it opening?

bungalistic
    Free Member

We just missed out as we were there at the weekend, if it’s anything like the small section that they let you ride at the bottom it should be pretty fun.

richmtb

Are there any videos up anywhere of the completed track. I’m guessing it must have been test ridden a few times

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Surely all the YouChoobers will be there on day one which will be the perfect reason to give it a swerve for a wee bit.

daviek

nah but would like to go there in the next few weeks. Will check the onslaught of videos that will no doubt show up over the weekend and see if the youngest might be up for it

Northwind

I’ll be heading up in a week or two hopefully, was tempted to head up for opening day but the timing didn’t work out.

poah
    Free Member

Surely all the YouChoobers will be there on day one which will be the perfect reason to give it a swerve for a wee bit

Lol

stanfree
    Free Member

I’m heading up saturday as Its my weekend off. Its gonna be rammed with SDA practisers and the Blue opening. Ill just do a few runs of Top Chief and the blue , no point in mincing down the WC track when guys are trying to practice. (well thats my excuse)
    Looking forward to It , Does anyone know Is a full face mandatory for the nevis range .? Ill take both just in case.

2tyred

Does anyone know Is a full face mandatory for the nevis range .?

It’s not.

poah
    Free Member

https://fb.watch/7MKPXHH5CO/

some more footage of it

Northwind

Like 2tyred says, fullface not mandatory even for the world cup, just recommended.

stanfree
    Free Member

Someone who rode it last week before it opened compared it to 3 miles of Blue velvet at GT. Sounds about my level. 😉
    Given how busy its gonna be is there any point of buying tickets online ? , Is it like a QR code and would it speed up the queue to the Gondola. I’ve been to Nevis 4 times but only just to watch the world cup.

poah
    Free Member

Given how busy its gonna be is there any point of buying tickets online

Is it going to be busy. Its a Friday, not a holiday and a blue run. I bought mine online as they prefer you to.

Northwind

I’ve never had to wait for more than a couple of minutes to get tickets. It’s bound to be busier for bikes than a typical september day mind, but I don’t see it being overrun.

Also, it’s a pain if you buy in advance and then they don’t run the gondola or the weather’s really crappy- though, maybe you can book online in the morning?

AlasdairMc

I’m heading up on Saturday. Is the car park usually quiet overnight as I’m arriving late and kipping there?

Northwind

There’s a pay gate on the main car park now if that’s a consideration… It’s a massive car park and it’s usually pretty empty, but I suppose it’s the most likely place within 100 miles to have a load of random lads getting pissed in vans in it…

The approach road has some pretty well screened laybys though they often have vans in. TBH if you went a wee bit north you’d probably not struggle to find a bother-free spot, if worst came to worst.

ffati
    Free Member

You can stay there overnight costs £15 i think? Or stay in the north face carpark down the road part of forestry commission stay the night test

stevie750

when does the gondola uplift season for bikes end?
    Am too busy with work to get away in September so will it still be open October / November

roverpig

Looks fun, but how do you progress from that to the (now) black. Looks as though they’ll have to build a proper red run now 🙂

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Looks fun, but how do you progress from that to the (now) black. Looks as though they’ll have to build a proper red run now 🙂

That would be great!

Surely all the YouChoobers will be there on day one which will be the perfect reason to give it a swerve for a wee bit.

Lol, aye the Ewe Tube mincing massive will have a run before realising it’s too much for them 🙂

mtnboarder

Impressions after a couple of runs: not too busy but queue bigger than usual. Trail is fun but needs a lot more bedding in, super slippy in the corners as the surface is very sandy. Braking bumps were starting to appear after first run. Also quite a few spots where there’s potential for big crashes- blind crests and unexpected corners.

matt_outandabout

needs a lot more bedding in, super slippy in the corners as the surface is very sandy.

I think our plan of last September weekend is a good one 8)

grum
    Free Member

Looks more like a green DH run (not that that’s necessarily a bad thing). I guess I was expecting rollable jumps but it looks pretty featureless.

mtnboarder

I’d agree with that, it’s certainly on the greener side of blue

poah
    Free Member

Que pretty big but trails not clogged. Visibility up the top sucks.

https://instagram.com/p/CTXFBfjHAI6/

jamesmio
    Free Member

Sat in the cafe at the bottom here now and eavesdropping in on an important looking chap in who’s tweed talking about the new trail.

“Next thing we do is get started designing the new Red to complete the set.”

New blue – yes, definitely on the greener end of blue. It’s proper long, no jumps or drops etc or anything steep. I guess they’ve decided to actually stick with the grading system on this one.

Lots of folks really enjoying it and it’s going to be great for getting families, younger and newer riders involved.

With a degree of hesitance I have to say I got a bit bored of it by half way down and shifted attention to mincing my way down the Black.

Not being able to see more than 6 foot ahead definitely hasn’t helped, it’s a pea souper up the hill today!

jamesmio
    Free Member

Felt obliged to follow up after an afternoon run.

Now the worst of the loose sandy top layer has had a bit of hammer and the fog’s begun to lift it’s way, way better fun.

Got to caw canny as there are lots of families and really young kids (as there should be on a blue trail I’d add) but you can give it some rip.

poah
    Free Member

Didn’t enjoy it TBH. You could come a cropper on some of the corners if you came off or even into a drainage ditch. I get the feeling it wasn’t properly finished. I wouldn’t go there to ride it.

seosamh77
    Free Member

These kinda trails develop over time eh, will probably feel much different next year after getting weathered in and developed a bit.

looks good though, big bermy motorway init, I do enjoy big flowy blues. might head up some time. very much into the smoother side of mtbing these days, this looks ideal 😆 interesting that it crosses the black.

Does defo sound like the need a red to fill in an obvious gap though eh.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

You could come a cropper on some of the corners if you came off

It’s a DH track, not a soft play.

poah
    Free Member

It’s a DH track, not a soft play

Kids break bones in soft play and I’m not talking about the track rather exposure off the side. It is labelled blue. Kids could well come a cropper as could inexperienced riders.

Northwind

stevie750

I don’t think they really do end dates any more, for the last few years it’s pretty much run til it can’t/stops being worth running.

Gribs

Am too busy with work to get away in September so will it still be open October / November

The Website lets you book until the end of October. Does anyone know what happens if you book but the gondola can’t run? The website isn’t helpful.

mtnboarder

Agree with Poah, there’s a few places where it would be too easy to overshoot a corner even at low speed and with pretty high consequence. Yes it’s a “DH track”, but as said earlier it’s at a low level of difficulty for a blue xc trail in the main. That sort of trail shouldn’t have potentially significant risks given the accessibility to less experienced riders, surely?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

A DH track is always going to be a progression from a trail centre of a similar grading is it not?.

Same as the other two tracks, first attempt should be a roll down, especially with kids, and assess the risk. If it’s too much for anyone’s abilities, then stop.

Exposed corners are difficult to avoid when building over 500m of descent.

ampthill

My experience of Blue trails is that my kids kept the speed down and there eyes open. It was me who nearly stacked by going to fast as it was nice and smooth

mtnboarder

If it’s a progression from trail centre grading then it should be graded green not blue as it stands.

poah
    Free Member

A DH track is always going to be a progression from a trail centre of a similar grading is it not?.

who said it was a “DH track”.

mashr

Premier Icon
    mtnboarder

If it’s a progression from trail centre grading then it should be graded green not blue as it stands

The grading probably isn’t against as it stands – the trail after the winter is likely to be quite different and less green

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

who said it was a “DH track”.

It’s gondola fed, and drops around 500m in height. Do you want a great big sign telling you it’s a DH?.

We’ve argued gradings to death over the years, I’m not gonna keep that you going, if you don’t like it, fair enough, of it’s too much, don’t go, I’m just happy we have more options.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 192 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.