Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Bit violent out there at the moment…
  • ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

tracknicko
    Free Member

go on then? what is it?

this reminds me of theat scene in hotshots.

my guess is…

lightning?

andyl
    Free Member

We need to harness that electricity!

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

yep, we get a feed from the lightning radar. Seeing as our office sits in one of the biggest lightning conductors…..

You can have a look here… http://www.isleofwightweather.co.uk/live_storm_data.htm

tracknicko
    Free Member

thats cool. but im immensly jealous as there is f all in sheffield.

nice bit of lightning could trip the servers here perhaps? give me a nice afternoon off?

Gee-Jay
    Free Member

That’s why I couldn’t log onto it you stole the webpage!!!!!

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

woooah look at that big one over the alps . . . .

Flew over the alps once, and you could see a storm in the distance, like a big black ball with lightening shooting out of it, . . I didn’t wake the missus it would have terrified her!!

bruneep

fine and sunny here

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

It’s an awesome storm here. Huge hail. It’s cleared the air a bit. Clearing later so will make this evenings ride perfect 8)

IanMunro
    Free Member

Ran to work in flip flops this morning.
    Dodging the puddles and lighting will be fun this evening 🙂

Houns

It’s stopping the Cricket 😡

coffeeking
    Free Member

We need to harness that electricity!

Sweet FA of it there to harness TBH, in the order of 250 gallons of petrol’s worth per strike.

molgrips
    Free Member

woooah look at that big one over the alps

That’s heading for me, that is. I’ll let you know what it ends up being like!

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Sunny now 🙂

bigyinn
    Free Member

Chunky are you actually on the IW?? If so where? Im in Ryde, we didn’t get any hail, just rain!

racefaceec90

is it from wargames 😉

MrOvershoot

Nothing here either 😉

Moderator: Hotlinked image removed following complaints from the owner about server load. Sorry, I know it’s his responsibility but didn’t think anyone would be upset by my removing this one

Urchinboy
    Free Member

This was Brighton a couple of hours ago..

kimbers

was crazy in london earlier enourmous hailstones

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

bigyinn – Member

Chunky are you actually on the IW?? If so where? Im in Ryde, we didn’t get any hail, just rain!

Nope 8)

kaesae
    Free Member

Molgrips, you got a webcam ❓

CountZero

Nice pic, urchin. 😀

sharki
    Free Member

Nowt but blue skies and a fine breeze ere in South Devon.

Shame as i was beginning to enjoy wet rides.

big_scot_nanny

I’m under that big red dot, but nothing here yet! It must be coming!

molgrips
    Free Member

Well nothing happened.. I think the Alpine red dot was a glitch tbh. Nothing but blue skies all day, and 30 degree heat 🙂

alpin
    Free Member

storms in the alps are usually localised. that big red dot is ~300km away.

wait until this afternoon…. you get a great view from my balcony. it looks west over munich so you get to see the storm rolling in towards you.

alternatively go over the fields (neukeferloh biergarten) and watch the storm coming from there.

donsimon
    Free Member

Lightninng is ace. I love photographing lightning.

molgrips
    Free Member

My balcony looks south (normally, but they’re working on the building so we can’t see anything) which is nice cos you can see the mountains, but not good for seeing the storms.

I’ve raced a few of those bad boys home from work several times this year already 🙂

I tried to photograph the lightening, but failed a bit. I don’t have a remote shutter release, which doesn’t help.

Urchinboy
    Free Member

I took about 500 shots yesterday and ended up with two of actual lightning strikes. Long exposures and an intervalometer is the way to go, plus a few hours to look at every shot and confirm the total lack of anything happening in it.

donsimon
    Free Member

Tripod, f11, timer and “b” setting?

derek_starship
    Free Member

Is there a B setting on DSLRs?

+1 for lightning being ace. Esp. when it’s right over head and the thunder is almost simultaneous. That gives me big goosebumps!

donsimon
    Free Member

Yep, keep winding the ISO down until you get there. (Or at least there should be, not all cameras are the same…).

Urchinboy
    Free Member

Lots of ND filters on the front, manual mode, longish exposures (mine were about 6-8 seconds). The intervalometer lets you set it going and leave it running for the whole storm (memory card and buffer permitting). Harder in daylight obviously, at night you can open the shutter for much much longer with much less ND filter malarky. Don’t get storms like that much down here though.

molgrips
    Free Member

Tripod, f11, timer and “b” settin

Yeah but you need a remote release to hold bulb.

How bright is a lightening-lit scene though? Too much ND and you’ll not see any scenery surely?

turboferret

This gives me a good excuse to post my lightning photo 🙂

I have a camera up a pole on a construction site taking a photo every 15 minutes, the lighting in the shot above was pure fluke.

Cheers, Rich

donsimon
    Free Member

Yeah but you need a remote release to hold bulb.

How bright is a lightening-lit scene though? Too much ND and you’ll not see any scenery surely?
    I forgot that the cable release has a lock. 😳
    And clearly meant wind down the shutter speed down to bulb, not ISO. 😳
    I knew what I meant.
    How bright? Depends on how long you have to keep the shutter open, how much light is given off within the scenery (street lamps etc). Too much ND entirely depends on what ND is… 😕

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

great shot

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Bit violent out there at the moment…’ is closed to new replies.