Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 280 total)
  • Birmingham "Street"/"Urban" ride
  • mattk
    Free Member

They can’t be any worse than the spiral staircase swingbing had a go at?

composite
    Free Member

Where is this stair case that swingbin had a pop at?

I_Ache
    Free Member

There is this tunnel in between the uni and 5 ways.

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/3132474

mattk – Member
    They can’t be any worse than the spiral staircase swingbing had a go at?

No that was a bit daft really wasnt it.

composite
    Free Member

That is the tunnel I was referring to as under Leebank middle way. It used to be pain to ride through because there was a “ridge” in the middle that if you slipped off either side your handle either hit the railings or the wall. They resurfaced it maybe a year go and now its fine.

I can’t believe swingbin went for that spiral set of stairs! 😆 There is a big long run of steps on the opposite side of Paradise forum that goes down to the subway that pops out by the college of food. Its marked on that map I shared.

I_Ache
    Free Member

No its further down at the Church Road crossing. Have a look at the street view of the staircase you can see the full extent of the madness.

composite
    Free Member

Ahh yeah you’re right, it is the one I was thinking of though. 🙂

I_Ache
    Free Member

Just had a look at the weather forecast and stairs are going to be interesting in the wet! I think I might stick on my super tacky swampthings, they should eek out every last bit of grip.

Also looking at the Uni on google earth and there are loads of different types of stairs to ride down. Dont for get your knee pads people 😆

lunge

I may me there tomorrow but not 100% sure. However, if anyone wants a super tacky 2.7″ dual ply maxxis minion I can do someone a very good deal! 😀

swingbing
    Free Member

There are indeed a few decent bits of riding around the Uni. Nice little jaunt through the tunnels to get there too, might add another dimension to the ride. Might see if I can find an old narrow set of bars and have another pop at that staircase!

I_Ache
    Free Member

You would probably be better off with a unicycle. No need to hop the back end round then.

composite
    Free Member

Just had a look at the weather forecast and stairs are going to be interesting in the wet! I think I might stick on my super tacky swampthings, they should eek out every last bit of grip.

No matter how wet it is, there will be more grip than there was at the Lickys tonight. Never seen it so sketchy. 😕

Houns

I shall be in brum tomo night on a date, I shall look out for you all

I_Ache
    Free Member

It’s a bit damp in the shire of four oaks too I slipped over twice walking down the hill in my garden to my shed.

Where will you be Houns we will come and distract you.

rOcKeTdOg

There is this tunnel in between the uni and 5 ways.

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/3132474

my 760mm bars clipped the wall through there on sunday, there’s a definate bulge in the middle….well that’s my excuse

Houns

Around Ze Market, but if I get off the train at Moor St ill take a wander through to the Bull to see if you’re there (due to get there about 7)

I_Ache
    Free Member

Can we have a roll call for tonights ride.

I_Ache Raw Enduro + Mate Yellow Prophet
    swingbing Blue Soul
    Composite ?

Matt, Lunge, Rizla, Alex, ndg are any of you going to make it?

Don’t forget to bring your cameras guys so composite can make a massive video.

lunge

Its a no for me this week I’m afraid. A shame as the tunnels look really interesting.

composite
    Free Member

Can we have a roll call for tonights ride.

I_Ache Raw Enduro + Mate Yellow Prophet
    swingbing Blue Soul
    Composite ?

Matt, Lunge, Rizla, Alex, ndg are any of you going to make it?

Don’t forget to bring your cameras guys so composite can make a massive video.

I’ll be there on a white Five.

mattk
    Free Member

My bikes in my LBS having the front axle replaced providing its done I’ll be there

I_Ache
    Free Member

Update

I_Ache Raw Enduro
    swingbing Blue Soul
    Composite White Five

My mate has come down with a case of underthethumbitis so now cant make it.

Might just be the three of us.

mattk
    Free Member

Having a bit of lunchtime search for tunnels and this came up

http://www.bbc.co.uk/birmingham/content/image_galleries/tunnel_vision_fierce_gallery.shtml?5

It’s an old Railway tunnel that has been disused for years, and runs from the mailbox to new street station. It’ll be securley locked up, but they did open it in 2007 for an art exhibition.

I might try and find out who owns it, and see if they would let us in to ride it.

How awesome would it be to hoon down that at speed?!? it’s gotta be a few hundred metres long!

Houns

My train from Stourbridge gets in to Moor St at 18:47 so if anyone is on it I’ll look out for you

passtherizla
    Free Member

I’ll most likely come… My ears are funny with the wind though. That reminds me I got a tube to go and replace.

I_Ache
    Free Member
    passtherizla
    Free Member

I know a tunnel that is full of graff… it’d be crap to ride though, the emergency exit form one of teh queensway tunnels.

passtherizla
    Free Member

I used to ride under spaghetti junction a fair bit… fair old jaunt out of town but worth it, maybe one for a summer evening.

[/url]
    Spaghetti Junction by diamond geezer, on Flickr[/img]

passtherizla
    Free Member

double post.

I_Ache
    Free Member

passtherizla – Member
    I know a tunnel that is full of graff… it’d be crap to ride though, the emergency exit form one of teh queensway tunnels.

Where does it go?

saps
    Free Member

Ive been following this thread for a bit now and hope to join you…probably not today due to an injury I picked up at Cannock on the weekend not to mention the amount of rain on the way!

Stumbled upon this…

http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/forums/showthread.php/14160-Birmingham-University-Tunnels

Did read somewhere about a mining school at the uni and a complex of tunnels built for that purpose!!

Anyways I was under the impression the urban rides were to be monthly…are you going weekly instead?

composite
    Free Member

I used to ride under spaghetti junction a fair bit… fair old jaunt out of town but worth it, maybe one for a summer evening.

The run along the canal to get there is kinda fun. Its like a huge set of rollers. Agree though I wouldn’t suggest hanging around that bit after dark, definitely a summer evening jaunt. 🙂

saps – Member

Anyways I was under the impression the urban rides were to be monthly…are you going weekly instead?

I think they will be every 2nd Thursday and then in between when there are people who want to do in between.

I_Ache
    Free Member

I think they are to be monthly, weekly will probably be a bit too much. We are mainly going this week because composite was so upset that he missed last weeks we are trying to make him feel better. The next proper one will be on Thursday 13th December. Every second Thursday of the month.

Although I just realized that it is the work Christmas meal on the 13th. 🙁

composite
    Free Member

😛

swingbing
    Free Member

I’ve a mate coming on a glow in the dark 456…provided he doesn’t shandy out, what with the weather looking as good as it does.

I_Ache
    Free Member

Do they actually glow in the dark? That would look pretty cool on a video.

saps
    Free Member

ARRGGHH…got me wanting to throw caution to the wind and just come along event though I can barely hold the bars (bent my thumb back, no break but still strapped).

I too have a 456 bright orange…unfortunately not glow in the dark though!

swingbing
    Free Member

saps – sympathies. Hope you’re ready to ride by december 13th.

They glow in the dark, but only if you charge them up with as many lumens at possible first!

Houns

Just to say, it’s chuffin minging out there

I_Ache
    Free Member

My car was getting blown all over the place on the M42 on the way home. Should make jumping fun.

saps
    Free Member

The wind has won the caution battle…have fun see you at the next outing 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 280 total)

The topic ‘Birmingham "Street"/"Urban" ride’ is closed to new replies.